+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does starting my studies online effect my PR points

kaushikjjj

Mar 11, 2020
Due to pandemic, my course has been moved Online. Now I am studying from India
My question is will my degree be considered equivalent to face-to-face degree In terms of PR points?
it would be great you can post some reference to your answers
Thanks in advance

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Due to pandemic, my course has been moved Online. Now I am studying from India
My question is will my degree be considered equivalent to face-to-face degree In terms of PR points?
it would be great you can post some reference to your answers
Thanks in advance
1, Yes, as long as at least 1/2 the program is completed in Canada you would also be eligible for a PGWP

Distance learning

Students who have begun their studies in Canada and whose classes have been moved online due to COVID-19-related travel and health restrictions will not be penalized. The following temporary policy changes have been made to better accommodate international students who have completed distance learning courses outside Canada offered by Canadian institutions.

• Currently, any time spent overseas while studying in programs offered by Canadian institutions will be counted toward the overall length of the post-graduation work permit.
  • Students will still need to complete at least 50%Footnote *** of their program of study’s total courses in Canada (either online or in-class).
Footnotes
Footnote ***
50% of a total program of study is calculated based on the number of courses completed in Canada. In a situation where part of a semester is completed in Canada and the other part online while overseas, IRCC will consider that the semester was completed in Canada. Applicants may have to submit additional documents issued by the DLI.

kaushikjjj

Mar 11, 2020
Thanks for you reply. I believe the above information speaks with respect to PGWP and does not take into account BCPNP. Is there any similar updates for BCPNP?
Hi

1, Yes, as long as at least 1/2 the program is completed in Canada you would also be eligible for a PGWP

Distance learning

Students who have begun their studies in Canada and whose classes have been moved online due to COVID-19-related travel and health restrictions will not be penalized. The following temporary policy changes have been made to better accommodate international students who have completed distance learning courses outside Canada offered by Canadian institutions.

• Currently, any time spent overseas while studying in programs offered by Canadian institutions will be counted toward the overall length of the post-graduation work permit.
  • Students will still need to complete at least 50%Footnote *** of their program of study’s total courses in Canada (either online or in-class).
Footnotes
Footnote ***
50% of a total program of study is calculated based on the number of courses completed in Canada. In a situation where part of a semester is completed in Canada and the other part online while overseas, IRCC will consider that the semester was completed in Canada. Applicants may have to submit additional documents issued by the DLI.
Thanks for your reply. The information you mentioned is regarding PGWP. My question is does similar clause apply for PR programs? BCPNP to be specific?