+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do you import a car to Canada from the US?

cindyu

Mar 21, 2016
Hi,
I did my soft landing and completed customs paperwork, but did not import my car. I did notify the Canadian customs that I'd be importing my car later. Has anyone ever done the same? Can you share your experience with importing a car from the US to Canada? As a new PR, did you have to pay for customs and the $310 RIV (Registry of Imported Vehicles) fee?
I am aware that you have to export the car from the US first. The whole process just seems very complicated and I want to know how much everything would cost, because I might as well just sell the car here in the States. My car is a 2012 VW Jetta in great shape. I am debating if I should let it go or not.

Thanks in advance!

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Actually, the process is fairly simple (based on personal experience). Just follow the guidelines on RIV website. One thing that was a surprise to me during my permanent move at the border was the GST I was charged on the value of my car. My car is a fairly new one and I ended up paying almost CAD1,000 as GST for the value of car. I must have overlooked this during my research but lesson learned. :)