+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How did you meet?

M

mrandmrsromero

I was in the U.S. on a temporary visa working at an animal sanctuary. He was a volunteer there. We became really close friends and it stayed that way for quite some time. Then, I was hit by a taxi while crossing the street on a crosswalk in Manhattan. A bad scene to say the least but I survived to tell the tale. He was the first person at the hospital when he heard the news and spent every free moment at my side from surgery, through recovery and beyond. It became clear to both of us that our feelings ran far deeper than friendship. Those feelings blossomed into big time love. The result was a marriage proposal and the rest, as they say, is history. Despite the immigration trials and tribulations, not one day has passed without contact and we are so excited about our future together. ♥

scarycemetery

Oct 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2010
Doc's Request.
16-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-01-2011
Med's Done....
09-11-2010 and 04-11-2011
Interview........
24-11-2011
Passport Req..
19-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-01-2012
LANDED..........
09-02-2012
PondHopper said:
It was 1977 when I was 13 and he was 14 that we became penpals. My cousin and his best friend were penpals, and through them we becames penpals. I immigrated to Canada in 1979 when I was 15. That summer, he came on holiday for a month to visit his family in the Toronto area. We dated, and he knew that I was 'one' (he was only 16!). He had to go back because he had already joined the Navy. We wrote and we called each other. There was no internet and it was all snail mail and many costly phone calls. He tried to ask for a transfer to the Cdn. Navy and also tried to immigrate, but he wasn't old enough. We had no money to visit each other. Eventually, as time went by, we drifted apart and he got married to someone else, and I did the same a few years later. Fast forward to 2007 -- I always wondered how things had turned out for him. I googled his name a few times, but it wasn't until in 2009 that I found him. Turns out we both had had bad marriages. The first time he heard me on the phone he was surprised to hear I had a Canadian accent (it had been 22 years since we last spoke), and he later said that he knew in his heart that we would be together again. On Friday we are celebrating our 6-month anniversary and we will be celebrating it together as he arrives tomorrow for a visit :) Only 20 hours to go before I see him again. It's been a loooong winter without him. I have been really enjoying this thread, and I hope more stories are posted. They are very interesting.
That's amazinggggg!!! Such a sweet story :)

moochops

Aug 13, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2011
Doc's Request.
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
09-08-2011
Med's Request
new request 19-12-2012
Med's Done....
24-10-2010 / 16-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Reading these has been awesome !

Mine

Moved to Canada in 2007 on a sowp with my then partner. The soab dumped me in July of 2008 after deciding he was better off single - thanks!

I still had 2 years on my owp left so i decided to stay for the experience and then go back to the uk.

I worked at a bank and one of my customers came into my office one day and said she had heard i was single and thinks I should meet her brother lol.

I said absolutely not under no circumstances seeing as all men were crap and I'd rather be a lesbian ;) She persisted for 3 days and I finally gave in with the rationale that at least I will have made another Canadian friend (totally not thinking anything would come of it).

Fast forward 3 years, we are married, live on a beautiful acreage in central Alberta, I have the most amazing guy in the world and I truly couldn't be happier :-*

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
PondHopper said:
It was 1977 when I was 13 and he was 14 that we became penpals. My cousin and his best friend were penpals, and through them we becames penpals.
TeresaLynn is right, it does sound like the beginning of a book. Do you write? I think it would make a brilliant story.

IndianOcean

May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 August 2011
File Transfer...
08 October 2011
Med's Done....
07 August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17 February 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23 February 2012
LANDED..........
18 March 2012
Mine goes like this : My wife used to live in Mozambique with her parents for 15years. They decided to go back to Canada in 2007, in 2008 she came for holidays to visit friends and stuff. A common friend of ours introduced us, we became close and started dating even thought everyone was saying that it was impossible,that our relationship wouldn't work because she was now living in the other side of the world. She went back to Canada, we stayed in constant contact, after 5 months I went to Canada to visit her, stayed around 4 weeks, came back to Mozambique. After 5 months she came to visit me, then after 6 months I decided to go to Canada again to visit her, this time I proposed to her, right in the morning in front of her house, she has like this little garden, so I went down on my knee and had a diamond ring on my hand :) she just fell to the floor crying, 3 months later we got married on the same very spot I proposed to her :) now we are in this immigration battle.

it's good to read everyone's story :)

sorry for my english, not my first language!

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
IndianOcean said:
Mine goes like this : My wife used to live in Mozambique with her parents for 15years. They decided to go back to Canada in 2007, in 2008 she came for holidays to visit friends and stuff. A common friend of ours introduced us, we became close and started dating even thought everyone was saying that it was impossible,that our relationship wouldn't work because she was now living in the other side of the world. She went back to Canada, we stayed in constant contact, after 5 months I went to Canada to visit her, stayed around 4 weeks, came back to Mozambique. After 5 months she came to visit me, then after 6 months I decided to go to Canada again to visit her, this time I proposed to her, right in the morning in front of her house, she has like this little garden, so I went down on my knee and had a diamond ring on my hand :) she just fell to the floor crying, 3 months later we got married on the same very spot I proposed to her :) now we are in this immigration battle.

it's good to read everyone's story :)

sorry for my english, not my first language!
Just from reading that I can see how much you love her.
And your English is fantastic, pretty much perfect from what I can see.

Hope your case is resolved soon!

podkayne8

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
File Transfer...
06-03-2012, Tfer to Seattle 12-04-2012
Med's Done....
09-09-2011
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
22-07-2012, PR card rec'd 21-09-2102
I love this thread! It is so great to hear these stories. :)

I met my husband online on a now defunct game on Facebook. We became friends he convinced me to play my first real mmo, Runes of Magic. I kept denying I was a gamer lol. That was 2 years ago. We have been inseparable ever since (well, virtually lol) and have been flying back and forth to see each other once a month. We were married in Vegas in May of this year and I am just waiting on the FBI for my fingerprint results to get the application in! (They were reject the first time, hence the lengthy delay..)

Being apart is hard but I have never been happier. The struggle is worth it.

IndianOcean

May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 August 2011
File Transfer...
08 October 2011
Med's Done....
07 August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17 February 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23 February 2012
LANDED..........
18 March 2012
pinklady said:
Just from reading that I can see how much you love her.
And your English is fantastic, pretty much perfect from what I can see.

Hope your case is resolved soon!
Thank You :) Yes I do love her with all my heart, it's difficult to be apart but hey it's just another bad wave.

And good luck to everyone here!

leroadrunner

Apr 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011 In Process: 25-01-2012
File Transfer...
21-11-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-01-2012
Great thread. Here's one more, I'll try to keep it short (I can so easily go on and on about our story!):

I met the love of my life almost 2 years ago on LiveMocha.com (I had been on this site for a couple years), I speak French/English fluently, to learn Portuguese for an upcoming trip to Brazil. She was on livemocha learning French (she speaks Portuguese and English fluently)...so the site matched us up. We became great friends, little did I know how we would progress to being both in love 3 months later, without even seeing each other in person. I finally went to visit her, and wow, it was like we had known each other all the time. Before this, I thought falling in love over the internet was stupid! hahaha!

She then came to Canada to visit her new canadian family, we got engaged at that time! I guess, seeing how she was accepted by my family was confirmation of the trueness of our relationship. My mother and her really got along well, and still are best friends. Incredible. I then went back and we had an engagement dinner in Brazil with my now Brazilian family, and we planned our wedding for this past July, as their was lots of paperwork to take care of! But we got it all done! It was a wonderful wedding and reception in Brazil, no family is perfect, but I do have a wonderful Brazilian family! And great support from our friends!

She did try to come back once since, were told she could not come back on the basis that we were now engaged. What a pain! So, I think I have been back and forth between Brazil about 5 times over the last 2 years. I plan on going once more. I love Brazil, but cant wait for us to be together forever now here in Canada!

Like everyone here, we spend lots of time on phone/MSN..etc....I guess, before we got marriied, we were used to this LDR thing...but now since we are married...is it just me, or is harder? We really miss each other a lot. I think the 2 years of LDR is enough!!! :)

And this is the short version!! :)

Marco2011

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
Netherlands
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-08-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2012
LANDED..........
05-04-2012
I met my awesome wife in Second life (2007), we got married in the game :D.
Then living together for 3 years in Canada, we got married in the Netherlands!! yeaaaayyy :D

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
podkayne8 said:
I love this thread! It is so great to hear these stories. :)

I met my husband online on a now defunct game on Facebook. We became friends he convinced me to play my first real mmo, Runes of Magic. I kept denying I was a gamer lol. That was 2 years ago. We have been inseparable ever since (well, virtually lol) and have been flying back and forth to see each other once a month. We were married in Vegas in May of this year and I am just waiting on the FBI for my fingerprint results to get the application in! (They were reject the first time, hence the lengthy delay..)

Being apart is hard but I have never been happier. The struggle is worth it.
LOL this made me laugh because I repeatedly deny being a gamer... but I've been playing EQ and EQ2 on and off for probably 10 years :)

again... i am NOT a gamer either. good to hear i'm not the only one!

erhm.. upon reflection though, maybe if you MARRY someone from the game, you might have a hard time denying being a gamer... ahh well... it's how we met, guess i'm a gamer after all. /sigh

dided

Star Member
Jul 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You guys r so cute :) i've no story to tell cuz i haven't met my "dream girl" yet but i just wanted to say what a great topic ,stories and great people indeed . :)

Editsniper

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-10-2011
Doc's Request.
17-01-2012
File Transfer...
28-12-2011
Med's Done....
14-09-2011
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
17-01-2012 (Letter received 30-01-2012-Passport arrived CEM 10-02-2012)
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2012
LANDED..........
soon...
Well for me i was in a chatroom killing time and then started chatting 2007 with her. We exchanged yahoo ids to talk more then it became pretty much everyday we talked and there was just something about her that i had to know her more. Once i saw her on webcam my heart melted and couldnt keep my eyes off her beautiful face then we talked on the phone and that is when i found someone special.

In 2008 i was due for a vacation so we planned on meeting in person that year and once i arrived in Philippines she met me at the Airport. The first time i saw her in person OMG that was it i knew she was the one. After a month being there and together everyday we got engaged, i stayed 1 more month after that.

Then we agreed on a date in 2009 to get married and she truly is everything i dreamed of for a wife and to spend the rest of my life with her

Belinasha

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
Doc's Request.
14-09-2012 - New FBI needed - 120 days to submit - then told disregard request
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
29-05-2012 to LA
Med's Request
Meds received 29-05-2012; Medical extension received 16-10-2012
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 received at LA 08-01-2013 ; Decision Made 1-17-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2013 sent to wrong address; 13-02-2013 LA replied new COPR sent to correct address; 21-02-2013 COPR arrives in mail at new address
LANDED..........
22-02-2013....FINALLY after almost 1 full year since applying
My husband and I met on World of Warcraft. I had transferred from Horde to Alliance for something different and I was about to transfer my main character back to Horde when I met him through a guildie about an hour before I was planning on transferring. I heard his voice on vent and was instantly attracted to him. I decided not to transfer and I tried to group with him every chance I could. I started messaging him about WoW stuff just to break the ice and we started hanging out every night with our mutual friends. We got along amazingly well and I was disappointed when he mentioned to one of our friends that he had just gotten back from his girlfriend's house. Of course he had a girlfriend..he's AMAZING! Our friend logged off of vent and we were playing the game together when I mentioned that it sucked that he had a girlfriend..blah blah blah. We still played together every night and had such a fantastic time that I started flirting with him every chance I could. Sure, he was in a relationship, but he said he wasn't happy. I noticed as the weeks went on that he was seeing his girlfriend less and less and he was pretty much getting off work..rushing home..and logging in so we could hang out. I kept flirting and eventually he returned the flirting. He got home from work one night and messaged me that he was thinking about me all the time and that he was starting to have feelings for me and that it might be time to meet. I told him that I'd meet him on the condition that he wasn't in a relationship because this is going to be the only relationship he'll ever need for the rest of his life. He told me he'd already broken up with his girlfriend. 2 months later we knew we just HAD to get together, we couldn't stand being apart anymore. We loved each other. I booked a flight to Chicago so we could have an amazing 5 day vacation. He took the time off work and picked me up from the airport. We checked into our suite and both of us knew right then that this was more than just a boyfriend/girlfriend thing. On the Sunday before I was due to fly back to Canada, we were at the House of Blues in Downtown Chicago and he proposed. It was the most romantic night of my life. I knew after being with this man after an hour that he'd be my husband someday. A month and a half later, I was flying back to Chicago so we could drive back to Canada to get married. We've been married for almost 2 months now and it's absolute bliss. I am very lucky I found my soulmate. I never knew life could be this fulfilling.