+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I prevent a marriage fraud from happening ?

DaveSav

Sep 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2013
Doc's Request.
8/8/2013
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
File Transfer...
13-03-2013
Med's Done....
07-12-2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
8/8/2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-11-2013
LANDED..........
28-11-2013
cecil.b said:
Sorry for the long post, but I love my friend dearly. He's a good guy, albeight a bit naive and too trusting. Right now he's in a rough spot, he had to close his business and now work at a minimum wage job. He doesn't own a house, he rents a bedroom in one of his coworker's house. I'm afraid the perspective of an easy 5000$ plus the belief that Ada is madly in love with him is stronger than any rational argument I can make. He helped me a lot when I needed it, and I can't let him be abused like this and do nothing, even if I know he'll be mad against me. Is there a way I can help prevent this from happening. I only found information about reporting citizenship fraud on the government website. Thanks in advance for your help everybody !
So I think the only way you can prove/show your friend that the marriage is a scam is by having the fiance basically say it.

What i would do is tell your friend to tell his fiance that he looked at the sponsorship approval process and that he found out he isn't eligible to sponsor her. He should then tell her that he wants to move to her country.

At that point hopefully one of two things happen, she is either happy because it's a real relationship and you are proven wrong, or she will tell him she's not interested anymore and he will save himself a headache.

gongdi

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
on-hold said:
in Thailand, where it is very, very, VERY common, and combines with total cultural misunderstanding, inability of either party to speak the other's language, and a number of other red flags. I
I see the same thing in China from time to time: A very old man (looking like he came from a 1st world country) with a 23 year old Chinese girl on his arm. Even though I do not have a moral objection to this as the terms of their relationship are none of my business, I wonder how these cases are scrutinized by the sponsorship officers? Since there are wide cultural differences between east and west regarding relationships and that the majority working at the consulate in Beijing appear to be Chinese, I wonder if these partnerships actually succeed in being granted a PR? If that is the case, it's no wonder that marriage fraud is so common! ???

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I don't think Canada is necessarily "soft" on immigration, the process is more streamlined and straight forward.. You have to keep in mind Canada is one of a few countries that has been updating its immigration laws to meet the challenges of the times we live in.

You are so right about the judgement.

@ the OP: I don't think there is much you can do other than pray for your friend and hope he knows what he is doing. Perhaps they could hold off on having a baby though.

gongdi said:
The more I read, the more I realize how common these scams are in Canada. The problem is that Canada has a worldwide reputation for being too soft on immigration. Canada sells itself short by advertising this reputation. On Chinese websites, there are pop up ads everywhere for buying your way into Canada, much moreso than the US or Australia. As a Canadian, it is embarrassing!!! It's almost as though our country is for sale. I do wish our standards could be raised so to attract the best people, and not be the last resort to those who couldn't enter the US or UK.

Of course most spousal sponsorships are legit, problem is, all relationships involved become suspect. Those real relationships must be strong, as even in politically correct Canada, people will likely judge you once you tell them your "how we met" story.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
gongdi said:
I see the same thing in China from time to time: A very old man (looking like he came from a 1st world country) with a 23 year old Chinese girl on his arm. Even though I do not have a moral objection to this as the terms of their relationship are none of my business, I wonder how these cases are scrutinized by the sponsorship officers? Since there are wide cultural differences between east and west regarding relationships and that the majority working at the consulate in Beijing appear to be Chinese, I wonder if these partnerships actually succeed in being granted a PR? If that is the case, it's no wonder that marriage fraud is so common! ???
I don't know about the norm, but my wife's cousin married a guy like this, she got PR from Singapore within 8 months. And he complained about the wait!

And Gongdi -- this 'ranking' of countries is very common. In Thailand the U.S. is #1, everyone wants to go there, but if you ask them why they prefer it to Canada, or Australia, or France, they don't have much to say. I'm an American, and I will say that I had a choice between a green card for my wife or Canadian PR for all of us -- I chose Canada for my family and I love it here. Don't feel bad if the world is full of idiots who feel they have to immigrate to the global hyperpower, they're the same bunch who buy hummers.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I would like to apologize one more time for sneering at relationships with a substantial age difference -- it was rude of me, and I wish I hadn't written it.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
on-hold said:
I would like to apologize one more time for sneering at relationships with a substantial age difference -- it was rude of me, and I wish I hadn't written it.
Don't be too hard on yourself. The reality is that there is some truth to that - especially in North America. It may be more acceptable in other parts of the world but it is what it is. I give you props for listening to another point of view and trying to make amends.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
on-hold said:
Don't worry about it so much. I just wanted to show you another side of it was all. I am not upset, nor holding it against you for your remarks. :D

mad_dr

Apr 18, 2013
SenoritaBella said:
I don't think Canada is necessarily "soft" on immigration, the process is more streamlined and straight forward.
Am I the only one who found the whole application process anything BUT streamlined and straightforward?! :)

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mad_dr said:
Am I the only one who found the whole application process anything BUT streamlined and straightforward?! :)
If you compare it to USA's immigration, it's much easier.

If you compare it to UK's immigration, I've heard it's much harder.

Like everything in life, it depends on your perspective. My sister-in-law is from Thailand and immigrated to the USA after marrying my brother. My immigration to Canada was much shorter and easier than her immigration and she's going to be a conditional PR much longer than I will. It's funny she's from Thailand in the perspective of this thread... haha. She did qualify to immigrate on her own with her education - but she lost her job and would've had to return to Thailand. My brother wasn't happy with that idea, so they picked spousal sponsorship. (I don't know all the ins-and-outs, just what they tell me. So if it sounds "funny" it's probably a problem with the message getting passed down.)

cranberries

Apr 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/01/2013
AOR Received.
21/01/2013 AIP Received 14/02/2013
Med's Done....
26/11/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/29/2013
LANDED..........
12/08/2013
mad_dr said:
not streamlined, not straightforward and most definitely not soft! lol

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
cranberries said:
not streamlined, not straightforward and most definitely not soft! lol
The process may be a pain but the requirements for immigration is less than most developed countries, especially the requirements for citizenship.

steph816

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
AOR Received.
01-06-2011
File Transfer...
13-06-2011 VO began processing 06-10-2011
Med's Request
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2011, 27-02-2012
Interview........
23-05-2012
Passport Req..
19-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2012
I don't think CIC will see this as bona fide, ESP if they haven't really spent time together and both sides haven't spent time with the. Etc..... He has to prove that it is genuine. If u dr even n believe it, them CiC prob won't. There are red flags everywhere. But who knows.
You also run the risk of ruining your friendship with him, if you intervene too much.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
on-hold said:
Alurra71 said:
Don't worry about it so much. I just wanted to show you another side of it was all. I am not upset, nor holding it against you for your remarks. :D
I think most people, as unfair as it is, pass judgement when they see such a couple. It might be only a little sneer, a sideways look, a comment to friends of "cradle-robber" or "cougar" or "mail-order bride" (which I actually heard someone say only a few days ago), or a thought that they keep to themselves, but there is usually judgement.

When it comes to the specific situation of older Western men and very young women from undeveloped countries, the judgement is usually very negative.

And I think the age of the younger partner makes a big difference in how it is seen. A 20 year old woman and a 45 year old man will probably be judged more harshly than a 40 year old woman and 65 year old man.

I'm curious Alurra71 (and a bit nosy ;)), have you and your partner have received much negative attention from your age difference?

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
There is 15 years difference between my wife and I and it bothers me more than it bothers her.

Closeness in age is linked to things you would share in common which links to compatibility. Though that is a general understanding.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
I think most people, as unfair as it is, pass judgement when they see such a couple. It might be only a little sneer, a sideways look, a comment to friends of "cradle-robber" or "cougar" or "mail-order bride" (which I actually heard someone say only a few days ago), or a thought that they keep to themselves, but there is usually judgement.

When it comes to the specific situation of older Western men and very young women from undeveloped countries, the judgement is usually very negative.

And I think the age of the younger partner makes a big difference in how it is seen. A 20 year old woman and a 45 year old man will probably be judged more harshly than a 40 year old woman and 65 year old man.

I'm curious Alurra71 (and a bit nosy ;)), have you and your partner have received much negative attention from your age difference?
Actually, we have not received very many negative comments, at least not to our faces or within ear shot. He doesn't necessarily look his age either, so that does help.

There was one incident when we went to get my name and information onto his bank account so it became 'our' bank account. The teller thought it was nice that his daughter would accompany him. When he said, this is my wife, I thought that poor girl was going to die! It was absolutely hysterical and hubby and I just laughed about it because the look on her face said way more than either of us could've come up with anyhow. It was funny though. To this day (10 months later) she STILL turns bright red when either he or I walk into the bank. I still just giggle about it.

I do think for the most part, it is more 'acceptable' to people once you reach a certain age anyhow. And geographically speaking, I am a US citizen, he Canadian, so I think it is more common around here.

I am not bothered by our age difference, and neither is he, because neither of us see an 'age' when we look at each other, but I sometimes worry what others might think, like I'm a gold digger or something of that nature. Hubby tells me all the time to not worry about what others think. He knows better and he knows that I love him and not what he can 'give' me so it matters not what anyone else thinks or decides. If they pass judgement upon us without knowing us then it is their loss, not ours.

@CandianJeepGuy: I would say I have to agree for the most part about generational differences being a hold up, but for Hubby and I, for whatever reason, we compliment one another even though he was able to be at a bar drinking on the day I was born. We have so much more in common than not, but that could be because most who know me class me as an 'old soul'. I rarely get along with folks my own age as they drive me batty a lot with the immaturity! LOL