+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how can i possibly get a 1 year of skilled experience?

hyunjinc

Oct 21, 2009
Hello,
Pretty soon I am graduating with my BSc from my university, and after that I am wanting to apply for a permenant residency through Canada Experience class.

One thing remains as a big question though - how am I supposed to get 1 year of skilled Canadian work experience?
to me, it seems impossible because many skilled job positing that I can find online, for instance, requires at least 2,3 years of industry experience (in other words, it is pretty hard to find a job for a fresh-out university graduate!)?

How the heck am I gonna get 1 year of skilled experience? To me, it is almost impossible.

any suggestions?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like any other university graduate, you need to find a job. Many jobs are skilled but you have to look at the NOC code to find that out. You have 2 years time after your graduation to get the 1 year skilled work experience so if you start in an unskilled job, you have time to look for a skilled one or get promoted.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yes, if you look at the NOC matrix for skill levels O, A, and B you will find that there's a little arbitrariness in what is designated as "skilled" and what is not. Take a look, you might find something -

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/html/Matrix.html

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All NOC codes starting with zero are 0-type skilled jobs, management positions.

If it doesn't start with zero, you have to look at the 2nd digit of the code. If it's 1, it's A level and if it's 2 or 3, it's B level. If it is anything else, then it's not a skilled job for immigration purposes.

hyunjinc

Oct 21, 2009
I know that I am supposed to get a skilled work experience (Type 0, A or B)

but most of those jobs requires at least 2,3 years of industry experience, and having been fresh out of university, I do not have 2,3 years of work experience on me. So how can I possibly get those jobs?

any suggestions?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hyunjinc said:
I know that I am supposed to get a skilled work experience (Type 0, A or B)

but most of those jobs requires at least 2,3 years of industry experience, and having been fresh out of university, I do not have 2,3 years of work experience on me. So how can I possibly get those jobs?

any suggestions?
How do other people do it? How does anybody get a job actually? I'll tell you a secret. You apply.

Even if the ads list some requirements that you don't have like 2-3 years experience, you go and apply anyway. The ad is the employers wish list. Sometimes the employer doesn't get what he wishes for. He may have no applicants that actually meet all his requirements. In that case, he will have to hire somebody like you.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
And, make use of your university's career or job resource centre ...

GO83

Oct 19, 2009
Well for me I found it really tough because when I graduated I was only allowed to work in the field I graduated in and I was limited in which cities I could work in. Since then CIC has changed these rules and you now can get an open work permit for three years. Which I assume you have?

Go out and get some experience. With your year of experience then the skilled work jobs will open up. Utilize whats already on your resume, did you do co-op, and on campus job, etc. Be creative with the wording on your resume. And be smart about looking for jobs where you can advance within the company. Be open to taking on extra work and be open to moving for the right job.

Don't get too stressed out as you do have 3 years to get one year of skilled work.

I graduated with a Visual Arts and German double major if I can find skilled work I'm sure you can!

flex007z

Mar 16, 2010
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-12-2010
Hey I studied Mechanical Engineering Technology Design 3 years and right now I am working as Computer Service Technician since 5 months.

My question is can I apply under CEC with my current job?

Do they need work experience in the same field of your education in Canada?

Thanks

GO83

Oct 19, 2009
You need to check out the NOC code associated with your job. Depends on the title but also depends on your main duties.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/noc/index.shtml

You can use any year of skilled work for the CEC, does not need to have anything to do with your field of study.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
flex007z said:
Hey I studied Mechanical Engineering Technology Design 3 years and right now I am working as Computer Service Technician since 5 months.

My question is can I apply under CEC with my current job?

Do they need work experience in the same field of your education in Canada?

Thanks
Since computer service technician is a skilled occupation, you can use this job to apply under CEC after you have worked for 12 months. As far as I know, there is no requirement under CEC that the job you do is directly related to your studies.

How you find out if your occupation is considered skilled: Go to the NOC website at http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/SearchIndex.aspx and look for your occupation. For example, computer service technician can be found here: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileAlphabetic.aspx?val=2&val1=2242&val10=C
Now look at the NOC code which is 2242. Since it does not start with 0, it is not a 0 skill type job. Failing that look at the 2nd digit. In this case it's 2. This means that the job is skill level B. If it were 3, it would also be skill level B. It it were 1, it would be skill level A. Only 0, A or B skill level jobs are considered skilled for immigration purposes.