+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I get my girlfriend who is already in Canada PR status quickly?

maax

Aug 23, 2007
Hey guys, wonderful portal and discussion board first of all.

Just wanted to know what my options are:

My girlfriend is here on a Student Visa and Temporary Stay Visa to Canada for 4 years , it expires next July.
She is currently enrolled in University and part time at a very reputable college to get a certification in Human Resources, a very high-demand field. She has also taught and trained at CDI. What are her options in terms of immigrating to Canada. I understand the skilled worker class takes the longest processing time, however if you submit the app to Mississauga isn't that a quick process? Also, to sponsor her do I have to be married to her or can I at least show that I am engaged to her with a seriousness to get married to her? Also in terms of family class sponsorship, could my family sponsor her if they wanted to ? I hear any relative can sponsor any other relative.? Now what if she visits her home once applying, can she visit me here in Canada as she says she can get multiple visit visas.
I know there are loop holes in the system that can break all these rules and get her into Canada quickly.
I used the loop holes in the passport issuing process to get my Canadian Citizenship card in only 2 weeks(normal turn around is 6 months) and only 1 week thereafter to get my passport. What are some of the other alternatives?

Maax

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Maax

If you've lived with your girlfriend for 12 consecutive months and consolidated your affairs (joint bank account, rental lease, phone, car, insurance, etc.), you can sponsor her under the family class as your common-law partner.

If you're not living together and you can't show such ties, your only choice for family sponsorship is to get married. There is no sponsorship by fiances. Your family also can't sponsor her. You'd have to get married or meet the definition of common-law partners.

Also note, if she applies for permanent residence from within Canada and then leaves the country before it's complete, she won't be able to return until her permanent residence visa is approved. This is true even if she had already obtained a multiple-entry visa. So keep this in mind.

Passports and citizenship cards are different from permanent residence. I don't think there is the multitude of loopholes you speak of.

maax

Aug 23, 2007
Hey thaiguy,

Now what if she has relatives here like her aunt, uncle, cousin and so forth. I just read that this would fall under the family class sponsorship type. Won't they be able to sponsor her. Secondly, she wants to visit her family next July, so you are saying that if she leaves before applying for permanent residence status, it is okay as she can come back on a visa, but if she submits the PR app then goes, she can't come back ? Now what if she gets a job through a work permit . Can she apply for PR card once she gets that permit and is working? Let me know thanks

Maax

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

maax said:
Hey thaiguy,

Now what if she has relatives here like her aunt, uncle, cousin and so forth. I just read that this would fall under the family class sponsorship type. Won't they be able to sponsor her. Secondly, she wants to visit her family next July, so you are saying that if she leaves before applying for permanent residence status, it is okay as she can come back on a visa, but if she submits the PR app then goes, she can't come back ? Now what if she gets a job through a work permit . Can she apply for PR card once she gets that permit and is working? Let me know thanks

Maax
Nope, have relatives doesn't fall under the family class. They won't be able to sponsor her. She can apply for a TRV even if she has an Immigrant application in progress. CIC recognizes dual intent, but she will still have show substantial ties to her home country if she requires a TRV (VIsitor visa) to enter Canada. She cannot obtain a work permit in Canada, if the employer was able to get a Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC for her she would have to apply to the CHC office responsible for her home country for a work permit. If she got a work permit and was admitted to Canada for 1 year, she could apply for PR either through the office responsible for her home country or a Canadian office in the US.

PMM

maax

Aug 23, 2007
Hey PMM,

Why do her relatives not fall under the family sponsorship class.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives.asp
According to this link they can.

Secondly, are you saying that she can apply for a PR card while she is working under a work permit? Will that speed up the process. Also. what do you mean by

She can apply for a TRV even if she has an Immigrant application in progress. CIC recognizes dual intent, but she will still have show substantial ties to her home country if she requires a TRV (VIsitor visa) to enter Canada.

Thanks..

What is the best way to keep her here, but still give her the option to visit her family in the Mid East until the PR card is issues.

I guess the quickest way is Marriage hah?

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
maax said:
Hey PMM,

Why do her relatives not fall under the family sponsorship class.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives.asp
According to this link they can.

No, they can't. Go back to the same link you posted and scroll all the way down, and the answer is right there. Also, I have explained it below.

First of, I assume that your girlfriend is passed 18 years old.

If she is not yet 18, then she can be sponsored by such relatives as her sister /brother, an immediate aunt/uncle (that is either a brother or sister of either of her parents only), her maternal grandmother /grandfather, or her paternal grandmother /grandfather.

And the above relatives can only sponsor her if she is not yet 18 based on one condition - she (your girlfriend) must be an orphan. And I quote CIC on this: "You can sponsor . . . brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, grandsons or granddaughters who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship."

Therefore, before any of the above type of relatives should sponsor your girlfriend, she must satisfy two requirements:

1. She MUST NOT be 18 years old, AND/PLUS
2. She MUST be an orphan

I also believe that you girlfriend will not fit into the next sponsorship criterion, which, I quote CIC: "You can sponsor . . . another relative of any age or relationship if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents."

What the last quote is saying is this: Your girlfriend's relative and sponsor must show that even though your girlfriend is not orphaned, such relative is all alone in Canada with no other relatives that are either Canadians or permanent residents, and your girlfriend is all that he or she now has.

Usually, the last quote has been used for a sponsor who has been a victim of a genocide or ethnic cleansing, who had relocated to Canada, and has just discovered that a family member survived the massacre. I believe your girlfriend's relatives do not fall under this category as they will not be able to prove that your girlfriend is their sole surviving relative.

Secondly, are you saying that she can apply for a PR card while she is working under a work permit? Will that speed up the process. Also. what do you mean by

To concur, yes, she can apply for a PR card while she is working under a work permit.

No, it will not speed up the process - it will only help in waiving the Proof of Settlement Funds of $10,168 CAN if she applies under the Federal Skilled Workers Program.

She can apply for a TRV even if she has an Immigrant application in progress. CIC recognizes dual intent, but she will still have show substantial ties to her home country if she requires a TRV (VIsitor visa) to enter Canada.

She can send in her application for immigration. She can send in her application for TRV to live and work temporarily in Canada. To immigrate is different from living and working temporarily - two different processes with different requirements that must be met by an applicant.

A requirement for the TRV is that the applicant "will . . . have to show substantial ties to her [his] home country." And, showing this will satisfy the Consular Officer that he or she would return back to her home country - even if this means going back to her home country after the expiration of the TRV's length of stay until the other immigration process is finalized.

Thanks..

What is the best way to keep her here, but still give her the option to visit her family in the Mid East until the PR card is issues.

I guess the quickest way is Marriage hah?

The answer to that is, YES, if you cannot prove that all aspects of both your girlfriend's life and yours have been intermingled for the past 12 months, not just by co-habiting, but having intermingled your finances including joint bank accounts, etc. to prove a common law relationship.

maax

Aug 23, 2007
Hey thanks for your response, quick question.

1. So if we start living together for one year and join some finances( bank accounts, bills, etc) this will show a conjugal relationship and then I can sponsor her right? I know if you marry it takes like 2-4 months.
Now do you have to co-habitate? What is you show inter dependency financially trough bills, bank accounts, etc.

2. Also, taken from the family class. Here is the clause

another relative of any age or relationship if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents; and

Now I do believe that her /uncleaunt who are here have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens. So by sponsoring my GF, she could be the only other relative here.

I know there are loop holes and ways to expedite this. Last year I contacted an MP and had him expedite the issuing of my citizenship card so that I got it in 2 weeks and not 7 months.

Now lastly, what about humanitarian grounds, liike she has already assimiliated into the Canadian way of life,already has a job offer , has a top notch, high in demand Human Resources Certificate which is equal to 2 years of work experience, learned french, etc.

Thanks for your input dude

Maax

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
There is a difference between common law partner and conjugal partner. The different posts in this thread have mentioned only common law partner in your case, and that is what you and your girlfriend would be eligible for if you can prove that both of you have been co-habiting and living conjugally – which means "as if married."

You will not qualify to apply for the Conjugal Category. The Conjugal Category is for partners who have not had the opportunity to cohabit and live together continuously for a period of 12 months or more. Whereas, you and your girlfriend are currently in the same country with no restriction on your movement; so, you have always had the opportunity to cohabit and live together as if married.

The Conjugal Category is also for partners for whom marriage is not an available option usually because of marital status or *censored word*ual orientation, combined with an immigration barrier (for example, rules preventing partner and sponsor of long stays in one another’s countries). Whereas, where you and your girlfriend are concerned, Canada has placed no such restrictions on you. You are free at will to get married, and you have had ample time to get married.

Therefore, you will NOT qualify to apply as Conjugal Partners, but only as Common Law partners or as a married couple,

You MUST cohabitate because you have to live “as if married.” It has long been a traditional norm, which Canada recognizes that married persons should cohabitate together unless if there is a legal separation or divorce. And, other than cohabitating, you must also show proof of interdependency.

Be very careful with that clause because it has a very high burden of proof on the sponsor. The aunt /uncle must show that they do not have any brother or sister living in Canada or anywhere else. They must also prove that they do not have any children or grandchildren living in Canada or anywhere else. If the aunt /uncle have such relatives that are living – but outside of Canada, those relatives receive first preference before a niece. In other words, it is those relatives that would have the priority for them to sponsor and not a niece.

This also implies that the aunt /uncle has to show supporting documents like death certificates or newspaper orbituary announcements if that is the case for their brother(s) and sister(s), or proof that they were “an only child.” Also, it includes proof that they never had children, and if they have, what has happened to them.

It will be best to stay away from trying to apply under that clause, because it will be subject to a very high level of scrutiny by CIC as well as a very high burden of proof on the part of the aunt /uncle sponsor. I have explained in my earlier post that usually, only refugee survivors of genocide and ethnic cleansing as well as asylees have been able to successfully sponsor under that clause.

I cannot say whether or not there are loopholes; however, CIC has provided potential applicants with a lot of options by instituting different immigration programs and category of applicants, and they are kind of prejudiced towards applicants if they think that applicants are trying to go around the requirements in order to fit into an immigration category.

*** It is better to go with a winning immigration option than to go with an impossible option. ***

Assimilation into Canada’s society would not be grounds for applying under Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds.

Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds (HCG) also imposes a very high burden of proof on the applicant, and the political policy behind this immigration category is for refugees, asylum seekers, escaping the death penalty, honor killings, female circumcision, victims of human trafficking, and a couple of others in such like terms.

Even when these people apply under this category, some of them are still denied, and some of them would appeal the denial, and only a small percentage have been known to win upon appeal. It can be a tedious process - applying under HCG.

This is not an advisable option for your girlfriend; in fact, it is well known that the Humanitarian and Compassionate route can be the fastest way to deportation proceedings being initiated after the applicant has been denied. Don’t let your girlfriend fall into the trap.

The best way to help your girlfriend is to see whether you can sponsor her as your common law partner, and if you cannot meet the requirements of cohabitation and interdependency; then your next option is to marry her.

Trying to do otherwise will result in a likelihood that your girlfriend's legal status in Canada could be compromised and put in jeopardy, and I'm sure you wouldn't want that.

maax said:
Hey thanks for your response, quick question.

1. So if we start living together for one year and join some finances( bank accounts, bills, etc) this will show a conjugal relationship and then I can sponsor her right? I know if you marry it takes like 2-4 months.
Now do you have to co-habitate? What is you show inter dependency financially trough bills, bank accounts, etc.

2. Also, taken from the family class. Here is the clause

another relative of any age or relationship if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents; and

Now I do believe that her /uncleaunt who are here have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens. So by sponsoring my GF, she could be the only other relative here.

I know there are loop holes and ways to expedite this. Last year I contacted an MP and had him expedite the issuing of my citizenship card so that I got it in 2 weeks and not 7 months.

Now lastly, what about humanitarian grounds, liike she has already assimiliated into the Canadian way of life,already has a job offer , has a top notch, high in demand Human Resources Certificate which is equal to 2 years of work experience, learned french, etc.

Thanks for your input dude

Maax

maax

Aug 23, 2007
Hey Libra,

Thanks so much. So basically I guess if I prove that we are common law, that means I have to be living with her, or is co-habitation a must. What if we join our bank accounts, bills, etc without co-habitating. Can we still be considered common law. If we can prove that in our culture we are not able to live together before getting married due to religious/cultural reasons. ?

I was told that if you marry her, she can be here within 2-4 months. It is the fastest route right?

Secondly, my girlfriend has been in Canada for 4 years, is graduating from York University with a degree in Political Science and is going for her Human Resources certification which is highly in demand in the work force. Now after she is done, another option we discussed is for her to apply as a skilled worker , and speed things up by getting a job offer or work permit. Does this speed up the application process for her to get her PR resident card? Can she be in the country while waiting for her PR card or does she have to go back home? I was told she can stay in here. Also what if she wants to visit her family back home while waiting for her PR status as she has a multiple entry/multple extension visa..can she do that? I was told she can if she shows close ties to her homeland? Can you confirm that?

I have e-mailed my mp in my riding a year back when I lost my citizenship card and got it within 2 weeks (normally takes 7 months) , so I do believe in contacting the honrouable minister of immigration and citizenship and telling her to send a recommendatory letter to CIC to expedite my GF's case and I will obviously make good grounds for it. I believe in using the higher powers that be to get things done, I have done this countless times over my life, to get a second chance at school, for my passport, citizenship, etc

Also what is your take on using a lawyer, many of them promise you entry in canada 100% in 6-7 months for a fee and I know people who have benefited from them?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Maax