+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how can i get a travel document while in canada

hosam

Nov 30, 2009
Hi ,

I am landed immigrant who is waiting for my PRC . for some unexpected matters I have to travel to the USA within few days i.e. before receiving my PRC . I have some doubts that I might not be allowed to enter the USA . in that case , as I dont have a travel document to re-enter canada , (just my landing papers ) , can I re-enter canada if i wasnt allowed to the USA ? or I will be stuck between the 2 countries? also would it make a diffrence if i use the air or by land ? should i apply for travel document while in canada ?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You cannot apply for a travel document within Canada. In Canada you can only apply for a PR card, and abroad you can only apply for a travel document.

The Canadian border agents will always let you in, even without your PR card. If you use commercial travel, like an airplane, the airline may or may not let you board without a PR card. They have the legal right to refuse you if you do not have a PR card, even if you have your COPR.

Someone on this forum recently posted that he managed to board a flight with just his COPR, but it is not guaranteed, and the gov't recommends against it.

If you travel in your own car you will definitely get in without a PR card.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
actually US citizens do not need visa to enter Canada, I think there will not be any problem for you to return back even by air just having COPR.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, good point!

Suin said:
actually US citizens do not need visa to enter Canada, I think there will not be any problem for you to return back even by air just having COPR.

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What about non-US citizens who have just a valid US visa? Can they drive through to Canada with just COPR and no PR card?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes. Once you are a PR you have right of entry and your status in any country other than Canada ceases to matter. If you drive up there with your passport and COPR you will be let in as long as your PR status is still valid.

OrangeCounty said:
What about non-US citizens who have just a valid US visa? Can they drive through to Canada with just COPR and no PR card?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
OrangeCounty said:
you can enter Canada by land without any problem just having COPR, but to enter Canada by air you need TRV.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, you can't get a TRV if you are a PR. You have to get a travel document.

You can also take the risk that the airline will let you board with just a COPR, and if they do you are fine, but it is a potentially expensive risk to take...

Suin said:
you can enter Canada by land without any problem just having COPR, but to enter Canada by air you need TRV.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
OrangeCounty said:
as was told at the border, you can enter Canada using COPR by land, but by air, you need a visitors visa to enter Canada, as just having COPR is not enough. that's why it's recommended not to travel until the actual PR card is received.
if you have to leave Canada before you receive your PR, you need to apply for a visitor's visa in your visa office and based on COPR you will be granted it right away.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Suin said:
as was told at the border, you can enter Canada using COPR by land, but by air, you need a visitors visa to enter Canada, as just having COPR is not enough. that's why it's recommended not to travel until the actual PR card is received.
if you have to leave Canada before you receive your PR, you need to apply for a visitor's visa in your visa office and based on COPR you will be granted it right away.
1. Who ever told you that, doesn't have a clue. PRs are PRs they can't be issued visitor visas.

PMM

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
that's really strange, as I was told this on the port of entry, while landing - I just asked him what I need to do if I have to leave Canada before PR card will arrive and got that answer. maybe he mixed something... at least I know now that it was not correct.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He most likely meant a travel document, not a visitor visa. They will issue you a travel document; that is what PRs abroad get if they do not have a PR card.

Suin said:
that's really strange, as I was told this on the port of entry, while landing - I just asked him what I need to do if I have to leave Canada before PR card will arrive and got that answer. maybe he mixed something... at least I know now that it was not correct.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
thank you for your answer, Karlshammar.

I found one useful link related to this on cic, it might help in understanding too:

cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the link, Suin.

Last time I entered by land I showed my passport. I had my COPR with me but never showed it, since the officer didn't ask. I got through with no issues.

The immigration officer who landed me told me that you do not need a PR card to cross the border, ever; the limitation is imposed by the commercial carriers, not by the border officers. If you manage to make it to the border with your COPR you will always be admitted, no matter what your mode of transportation is.