+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How been illegally in US affect me if trying to apply for pnp

Jonale13

Mar 15, 2018
im currently living in US i’ve been trying to find out how to apply for provincial nomination i have a friend who’s helping me to get a job offer but, i see that many people say that if i entered illegally to US i have to go back to my country, now before i decide to go there i need to know for sure how bad is the fact that i’ve been here illegally and if that’s going to affect me or my process of pnp, can someone advice me about it, it’s really hard to decide I just need to know how high is the possibility of getting approved! At least know if is worth to leave everything here and try out!

7appatel

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney,NS (Inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-12-2016
Nomination.....
22-12-2016 (sinp)
AOR Received.
05-02-2017
im currently living in US i’ve been trying to find out how to apply for provincial nomination i have a friend who’s helping me to get a job offer but, i see that many people say that if i entered illegally to US i have to go back to my country, now before i decide to go there i need to know for sure how bad is the fact that i’ve been here illegally and if that’s going to affect me or my process of pnp, can someone advice me about it, it’s really hard to decide I just need to know how high is the possibility of getting approved! At least know if is worth to leave everything here and try out!
yes you have to go back to your country or you have to provide your legal status (work permit,visa) if you live other country than your citizenship.

Jonale13

Mar 15, 2018
yes you have to go back to your country or you have to provide your legal status (work permit,visa) if you live other country than your citizenship.
But, is it going to cause me any problems the fact that I’ve lived in US illegally?! Even if I’m back at my country to apply for it??

Carlinius

Mar 2, 2018
100% you won't get PR in Canada if you are illegally in US. US and Canada share their immigration database. Even if you get a provincial nomination ( they don't run criminal record) when you apply to the federal government you will get denied after they run a background check.

Jonale13

Mar 15, 2018
100% you won't get PR in Canada if you are illegally in US. US and Canada share their immigration database. Even if you get a provincial nomination ( they don't run criminal record) when you apply to the federal government you will get denied after they run a background check.

Not even if i get back to my country to do all the process from there?! I mean, I don’t have a criminal record! Is just that I didn’t use a visa or a work permit to entry, is more like I don’t have a status, I don’t exist in their database!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's not true at all. Having illegal status in no way prevents someone from getting PR. Provided they are 100% honest about their immigration history and their illegal status - immigrating to Canada won't be a problem at all.

Being illegal in a country does not give you a criminal record.

Reactions: Jonale13 and zardoz

Carlinius

Mar 2, 2018
Not even if i get back to my country to do all the process from there?! I mean, I don’t have a criminal record! Is just that I didn’t use a visa or a work permit to entry!
You don't have a criminal record YET. The moment you board a plane to leave US they will know that you were there illegally. Also, when you apply for PR you will be asked to say the truth and if they find out that you lied even in the minimum you will get rejected immediately.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
That is COMPLETE RUBBISH.

While it might impact the issue of a TRV, the application for PR is assessed using different criteria.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't have a criminal record YET. The moment you board a plane to leave US they will know that you were there illegally. Also, when you apply for PR you will be asked to say the truth and if they find out that you lied even in the minimum you will get rejected immediately.
Once again - incorrect. This gives you a ban from the US - it does not make you criminally inadmissible to Canada.

We've had plenty of people here with US (and other country) overstays successfully apply for PR.

Yet one more time, provided the applicant is 100% honest in their Canadian immigration application about the overstay / illegal status in the US - it is no barrier to successfully immigrating.

Reactions: Jonale13 and zardoz

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You are obviously new at this. Please read up on the subject before responding.

Carlinius

Mar 2, 2018
You are obviously new at this. Please read up on the subject before responding.
You didn't even read what he said in his post. He ENTERED ILLEGALLY, he didn't overstay his visa, he NEVER got a visa in the first place. That's a federal offence and when he tries to leave US he will be charged for that. Once he is charged he will get a conviction and that will make him inadmissible to Canada.

Jonale13

Mar 15, 2018

I’m not saying i’m gonna lie or even try to hide something from them, that’s why I’m asking if been here is gonna hurt my case instead of how can i hide that info from them!

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You didn't even read what he said in his post. He ENTERED ILLEGALLY, he didn't overstay his visa, he NEVER got a visa in the first place. That's a federal offence and when he tries to leave US he will be charged for that. Once he is charged he will get a conviction and that will make him inadmissible to Canada.
Still not relevant.... It will not make him inadmissible.

Reactions: Jonale13

Jonale13

Mar 15, 2018
Once again - incorrect. This gives you a ban from the US - it does not make you criminally inadmissible to Canada.

We've had plenty of people here with US (and other country) overstays successfully apply for PR.

Yet one more time, provided the applicant is 100% honest in their Canadian immigration application about the overstay / illegal status in the US - it is no barrier to successfully immigrating.
Thank you for the advice, is good to know that other people have been on my same situation and they successfully immigrated!