+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How are academic years counted for work experience?

tokalaangel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
I’m currently an assistant professor and I noticed that on my first year contract, the duration says “for academic year.” I was also told that I am the only one at the college with a 12 month contract as they are trying something new. But that is not directly reflected on my contract it seems.

My contract for this year distinctly says from August to May, but I was supposed to still have been under that 12 months condition and am currently teaching a summer class as well as putting in well more than the 8hrs/wk if only the summer class is counted. I have paystubs from months past my contract (annual salary).
My next years contract has just been sent to me. The contract dates are from August - May again. I was wondering if I should ask that they to change that to the full 12 months.

Most importantly, how does this all work for my EE calculation? Will it be okay if HR writes my 12 month duration on the verification letter even if it doesn’t match up with the official contract?

tokalaangel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
If you can prove you were working in a skilled occupation you can count it as work experience.
Hi, could you elaborate on this? My NOC code would be 4021 and my HR can write an experience letter that reflects the duties to prove that it's a skilled occupation. My concern is the contract duration, does an academic year count as a full year of employment if they write it that way?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
All of that is not really important, what matter is your work reference meets the criteria and whether your work experience meets the requirements of the program and the NOC you're applying under.

You don't have to submit your contract or anything like that as part of your application. Your work reference should state the date you started and that you're still currently employed, the number of hours per week, it's full time or part time, your annual salary and the duties and responsibilities associated with your position, and whatever additional requirements are needed as per IRCC's criteria for the work reference. Your duties and responsibilities should coincide with those stated as per the lead statement of the NOC you're applying under.

And that's it.

tokalaangel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
All of that is not really important, what matter is your work reference meets the criteria and whether your work experience meets the requirements of the program and the NOC you're applying under.

You don't have to submit your contract or anything like that as part of your application. Your work reference should state the date you started and that you're still currently employed, the number of hours per week, it's full time or part time, your annual salary and the duties and responsibilities associated with your position, and whatever additional requirements are needed as per IRCC's criteria for the work reference. Your duties and responsibilities should coincide with those stated as per the lead statement of the NOC you're applying under.

And that's it.
Oh really? How will they be able to know if the information on the letter is legitimate or not? I received another letter already that is a scanned copy with the school’s letterhead. Is that ok or will I need to provide a paper copy too?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Because they can contact your employer directly if they have doubts or want confirmation, your work reference has to have the contact details of your institution where you work. And they will conduct additional research when they vet your work experience and your work reference, such as searching online for resources about your employer, and about your position.

You only submit scanned copies of your documents, you don't provide paper copies. Everything is submitted online.