+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How and where to apply to cease refugee status

Discussion in 'Refugees and Asylum' started by Keshim123, Jul 14, 2016.

  1. Hi,
    Can a convention refugee who is not permanent resident apply to cease his refugee status and withdraw his PR application? If so how? The refugee wants to go back to his country of origin. CIC has seized his passport during his claim. Where should he apply to cease and where can he get his passport? What would be the consequences on him?
  2. Yes, you can. Take the notice of seizure and IRB determination letter to the office. They will redirect you to CBSA office. You can get your passport over there.
  3. Hi Mohammed Zaid,
    Thank you for your information. Which office should I take notice of seizure and IRB decision. CIC cannot be contacted in person. Do you think CBSA would create trouble on me or simply give me my passport and allow me to leave? Do you know someone with similar experience? Thank you.
  4. Hi

    1. CBSA will arrange to give you back your passport at the airport when you depart Canada.
  5. This case being withdrawal there wouldn't be any issue. Either you would be handed over the passport once you reach your country or at the airport. CBSA officers will accompany you till the airport.

    Go to the place where you made a claim and they will assist you.
  6. Hi PMM,

    Where should I start first? I am not a refugee claimant. I am a convention refugee i.e a positive decision had already been rendered to me. Please elaborate the steps I should follow.
  7. I'm wondering why people apply for refugee then they decide to withdraw their refugee status!
  8. Someone sent me a private msg asking me about what happened with my seized passport, so I decided to write this for anyone who is interested about getting back his passport to travel back home.

    First of all just to be clear about some points:
    * I was a protected person
    * I decided to get my seized passport after a successful decision
    * I had a young daughter who was living in another country which basically I was living in too for the past years(not the country I am asking protection from)
    * I am not allowed to travel with my home passport or to renew it
    * This country and all GCC countries; actually most of the Arabic country's doesn't accept travel documents.

    So here is the journey:
    * I asked for an appointment with the airport road CBSA to discuss the matter of getting an exception to be able to travel with my passport.
    * They told me my passport is not with them and it's in 25 St. Clair CIC and that they will give them a msg to call me back
    * I waited few days but no one called, so I went there personally which was useless as no one are allowed without an appointment
    * I called the call center agents who sent me a link about Voluntary leave process
    * I sent few letter to them and emails but still without an answer
    * I decided to go back there again, told the security it's an emergency so he told me to go to 55 St. Clair, and so I did
    * I met an officer there who told me this is not from there side and I have to file an application in the CIC which is located in Kipling
    * I went to Kipling, waited for 2 hours, at last met an officer, who explained clearly that there is no exceptions and my passport can't be given back to me before I get my PR, and that I can't travel with it or use it when I get it, and that I may suffer from cessation if I did even if I think I have a valid reason and even if am actually not traveling to the country am asking protection from. She explained that I have two choices even to withdraw my protected person status and to Voluntary leave, or to wait until I get the citizenship to be able to travel and see my daughter which was not acceptable to me so I decided to withdraw. Then I was told that is not from there side and I have to go to Victoria road CBSA 10th floor
    * I went the next day, met an officer, told him the story again, he told me that they will call me back once they get my file from St. Clair
    * Few days later they called me for an interview, the officer again explained to me the process and asked me to think, I told her I have made my decision, so she asked me to sign some papers and to book an airplane tickets two weeks from today, so I did and gave her a copy and she provided me with the directions of what to do the day of my travel.
    * The day came, I went to the airport and then to the CBSA office there, they again made me sign some peppers and gave me another one for the airline to check my bags.
    * After that point I checked my bags normally, waited for the boarding time, exactly when the boarding started the officer came with my passport so I can go into the airplane.

    And that's it... Am with my daughter now
  9. Cause some of us was misleaded in a lit if important information and I am one of them
    And others have children and families who thought they can wait until they get there citizenship to see them again but they couldn't, and am one if them too.
  10. I respect your decision, this is bravery to withdraw your application after receive positive decision. Family is most important thing to have in this world (at least to me) being with family is a feeling few people only understand.

    I wish I can have your courage and be with my family AND/or at least bring them here with me, but one only can dream.
  11. Most of the information are posted in CIC website from A to Z, also applying for refugee which mean you have no way to go back to home country until the situation has changed.

    you have an option to add any family dependents/spouse, etc.. to your PR application, so why should wait till you get the citizenship to see them again? they will be issued landing visa to land in Canada once PR application approved..

    If you decide to cease you refugee status too soon without any reason, you may cheated the system while there is tons of legitimate people around the world seeking refugee in Canada, these people may be refused when the IRB considered the history of withdrawal or background like same country/city religion, etc..
  12. Happy for you and for your daughter, however some GCC countries accept travel documents such as Saudi Arabia. My friend (Syrian) in USA has green card and his passport is expired so he asked for travel document and after few months, he got one. Later he asked for religious visa (umrah) and he got it. He went for two weeks to Saudi Arabia and came back with the travel document without issues.

    Maybe the country where you are now is different and it doesn't accept such documents but this is not general as Saudi Arabia is the most strict country regarding visas and passports.
  14. Hi there,
    Hope all is well.
    I am a conventional refugee and I want to withdraw my protection status as I no longer fear persecution in my country because of the change in governance. Is that possible to withdraw my status / If so how? I called CBSA and they told me that I have two options for that.
    The first one is to apply a passport from the embassy of my country based in Canada, get a new passport and travel with that.
    The second option is to wait till I get my PR and by then they will return my seized passport so that I can travel to my country.
    I don't want to wait a year or so till I get my PR. Do you know something about this? Thanks

Share This Page