+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Housing crisis in Canada

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
There is no need to kill people who back out of deals. This is why you pay an actual expert - the lawyer. I have no problem paying top dollar for a good lawyer. I would be happy to pay 5% to lawyer and a flat fee to a lockbox opener.

In your stupid analogy...you wont go directly to doctor, but rather pay a lot of money for an agent to find you a doctor.
Well, it's still within the offer period. The "buyer" disappear and never confirm and carried on. Later on found out that he said he will BUY with cash for his gf and they had a fight and she said she will buy her own.. and then .. nothing...

Interesting story. Not so interesting when I wanted to sell my place and it was "put on hold" during that time.. Nothing a lawyer can do because they are using the inspection clause (back then ppl do have subject on their offers)

btw. I would NEVER leave my keys of my house in a lock box and let "buyer" go inside to party.

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
Well, it's still within the offer period. The "buyer" disappear and never confirm and carried on. Later on found out that he said he will BUY with cash for his gf and they had a fight and she said she will buy her own.. and then .. nothing...

Interesting story. Not so interesting when I wanted to sell my place and it was "put on hold" during that time.. Nothing a lawyer can do because they are using the inspection clause (back then ppl do have subject on their offers)

btw. I would NEVER leave my keys of my house in a lock box and let "buyer" go inside to party.
Well, an agent wouldnt help you there either.

And if you think an agent is a security guard who will protect your house against an unruly prospective buyer, you are sadly mistaken. In fact, a real security guard will probably cost you much less than the $50k you will shell out to the lockbox opener.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Still not answered the question.
Your lack of comprehension clearly shows you do not know how real estate business works.
Market value was not determined by how much I wanted for my house, market value was determined what the buyer was prepared to pay.

So in reality I could not have cared less how much or how little my realtor worked to bring me the highest offer or what he told the other realtor. He was working for me to get the best price, that's how the cookie crumbles. So in the end some rich Chinese paid whatever he thought was fair market value. And to achieve that, I needed a realtor.
This is called capitalism and if you are offended by this, there is nothing I can or will do to change that.

Reactions: mattjp1 and YVR123

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
Your lack of comprehension clearly shows you do not know how real estate business works.
Market value was not determined by how much I wanted for my house, market value was determined what the buyer was prepared to pay.

So in reality I could not have cared less how much or how little my realtor worked to bring me the highest offer or what he told the other realtor. He was working for me to get the best price, that's how the cookie crumbles. So in the end some rich Chinese paid whatever he thought was fair market value. And to achieve that, I needed a realtor.
This is called capitalism and if you are offended by this, there is nothing I can or will do to change that.
You are contradicting yourself and failing at basic logic.

Ok...so your agent didnt get you a dollar over 'market price'. So he was of no use. If what you received was the 'market price', you would have received the same without a realtor.

Im sorry, its not capitalism when realtor associations lobby the government to reduce the amount of information available to the buyer.

If, as you say, its not possible to get the maximum price without an agent - it means that the agents are the cause of the increase in price. As simple as that. You yourself admit to it and that has been my point all along - agents increase the price of homes.

I am sorry if my opinion offends you so much. You seem quite happy with the status quo and throwing money away - I wonder why you are so upset then!

Last edited:

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Sigh..I give up. Why am I wasting my time to explain myself to a troll. I am perfectly happy the way things went. No regrets.
No money was thrown away, and if so, I did not care, because I made plenty of it in the end.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no need to kill people who back out of deals. This is why you pay an actual expert - the lawyer. I have no problem paying top dollar for a good lawyer. I would be happy to pay 5% to lawyer and a flat fee to a lockbox opener.

In your stupid analogy...you wont go directly to doctor, but rather pay a lot of money for an agent to find you a doctor.
Apart from lawyer and realtor, as a seller, I usually would hire a professional cleaner / carpet cleaner and a general contractor (for painting or plumbing) before I put the property to the market. And if I am the buyer, I hire a home inspector.

Ever watched tv shows in HGTV (such as the Property Brothers)?

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Well, an agent wouldnt help you there either.

And if you think an agent is a security guard who will protect your house against an unruly prospective buyer, you are sadly mistaken. In fact, a real security guard will probably cost you much less than the $50k you will shell out to the lockbox opener.
Haven't seen any 'unruly prospective buyers' just those upset with the bidding process and market conditions. (That's understandable) !
If you were lucky enough to find a place that works for you then think of the $50k as an insurance policy.

I'm sure there are opportunities to purchase without an agent but I wouldn't take that risk in this climate.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So you want to ban agents because you tried to sell your house and nobody without an agent bought? I mean noone is forcing anyone to use agents. It seems more like you are angry against them because they make good money for not too much work. I'm not saying it's not legitimate to be envious, but there is a fine line IMO.
As indicated many agents will not bring their clients to a home if they know there is no sellers commission involved. Because listing are now online some will still request to see these properties but unfortunately somehow these properties seem to be “unavailable for showings”. Most real estate agents would prefer to get full commission on any sale. Even if you double end a deal and ask for a 0.5% discount many agents will not agree. Lots of agents so you can still find a good agent willing to take a bit of a discount especially when talking expensive homes and using the agent to both sell and purchase a new home. Surprising how many passed on representing for the 0.5%.

DenniDude

May 30, 2022
I don’t know if I would call it a crisis, but in some parts of the country, Vancouver and Toronto in particular, there is a serious shortage of accommodation. In the area where I live people are renting out rooms for $700 - $800 per month. That’s for a bedroom in an apartment or townhouse. Sometimes this includes the use of the kitchen and a separate bathroom, sometimes not. But making my steps to buying a house alberta I haven't mentioned it. It isn’t uncommon for two people to share one of these rooms. This is in one of the least expensive of the Vancouver suburbs. The situation in the city of Vancouver itself is even worse.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don’t know if I would call it a crisis, but in some parts of the country, Vancouver and Toronto in particular, there is a serious shortage of accommodation. In the area where I live people are renting out rooms for $700 - $800 per month. That’s for a bedroom in an apartment or townhouse. Sometimes this includes the use of the kitchen and a separate bathroom, sometimes not. But making my steps to buying a house alberta I haven't mentioned it. It isn’t uncommon for two people to share one of these rooms. This is in one of the least expensive of the Vancouver suburbs. The situation in the city of Vancouver itself is even worse.
This is reasonable if you compare to the most unaffordable city in the world where people renting out rooms for equivalent of $1200 per month.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don’t know if I would call it a crisis, but in some parts of the country, Vancouver and Toronto in particular, there is a serious shortage of accommodation. In the area where I live people are renting out rooms for $700 - $800 per month. That’s for a bedroom in an apartment or townhouse. Sometimes this includes the use of the kitchen and a separate bathroom, sometimes not. But making my "remove link to an alberta home buying site" haven't mentioned it. It isn’t uncommon for two people to share one of these rooms. This is in one of the least expensive of the Vancouver suburbs. The situation in the city of Vancouver itself is even worse.
Not sure if you are really replying or just trying to post with a spam link....

good luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depends where in Montreal. Tough to secure a rental especially if you are abroad Unless you already know someone in the city. Cost will depend on location,whether there is private bathroom, how big the room is, whether it is in the basement, etc.