+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Housing crisis in Canada

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-canada-real-estate-ban-blind-bidding/

"But Canada’s national real estate association and other powerful industry groups oppose the federal plan, saying that ending blind bidding would not bring down prices and would deprive homeowners of the choice of how they want to sell their homes. Most sellers prefer blind bidding because they believe it can get them a higher price."

Lol - agents openly admit that blind bidding leads to higher prices....openly defending lying and deception.

Nice to see the govt is taking action against this corrupt industry. No wonder the crooks are fighting it lol

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
I am happy to have used a realtor selling my house in Vancouver BC. I got $265'000 over asking price by him. He deserved his fee, end of!
1. Over asking price means nothing. I can ask for 0 and get 1 million over asking price.
2. Nothing to be happy about - you potentially screwed a buyer and you will similarly get screwed when its your turn to buy.

• Haha
Reactions: ABTPG and foodie69

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
1. Over asking price means nothing. I can ask for 0 and get 1 million over asking price.
2. Nothing to be happy about - you potentially screwed a buyer and you will similarly get screwed when its your turn to buy.
The housing crisis isn't going away anytime soon and a lot depends on where you want to live.
Low interest rates, lack of availability, desperation, all adds up to many frustrations, but I don't think all agents are on the take.

Find a cheap RV and a place to park it. Problem solved !

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I googled and found a few of private real estate sale sites, e.g.
For Sale By Owner www. bode .ca

I think tfox may have better experience if he buy from a private home seller. Since in this case, both of them know that a agent will not be involved in the property sale.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hahahaha.. you are one sour puss. I screwed no one. The guy paid more because he wanted to. I was happy to get the asking price, he wanted to pay more. Fine. Should I have said no just to make the buyer happy? What planet are you on?
By the way, I am retired and already purchased a house in another province 2 years ago. I am not in the market for selling until I die..

Reactions: mattjp1

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
Hahahaha.. you are one sour puss. I screwed no one. The guy paid more because he wanted to. I was happy to get the asking price, he wanted to pay more. Fine. Should I have said no just to make the buyer happy? What planet are you on?
By the way, I am retired and already purchased a house in another province 2 years ago. I am not in the market for selling until I die..
If your buyer didnt overpay and paid the perfect market price - then what good was your agent? Either your agent helped you get much more than market price using shady tactics (which screwed your buyer) or they didnt (in which case, you paid 5% for nothing). Which is it?

Your buyer overpaid and you overpaid when you bought. Donated money to middleman for nothing. If agents didnt exist, you would have saved money on the buying and your buyer would have saved money when you sold. Good for society overall. Less friction.

Last edited:

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
I googled and found a few of private real estate sale sites, e.g.
For Sale By Owner www. bode .ca

I think tfox may have better experience if he buy from a private home seller. Since in this case, both of them know that a agent will not be involved in the property sale.
This is good...but a very small %ge of market and only in BC/AB it seems. If agents are banned, services like these will dominate, which will be good for everyone.

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
The housing crisis isn't going away anytime soon and a lot depends on where you want to live.
Low interest rates, lack of availability, desperation, all adds up to many frustrations, but I don't think all agents are on the take.

Find a cheap RV and a place to park it. Problem solved !
Agents are on the take. 5%! And much more if you include phantom bidding. If phantom bidding was not an issue, the Federal govt wouldnt have taken steps to ban it and Real estate agents wouldn't be so upset about it going away.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
If your buyer didnt overpay and paid the perfect market price - then what good was your agent? Either your agent helped you get much more than market price using shady tactics (which screwed your buyer) or they didnt (in which case, you paid 5% for nothing). Which is it?

Your buyer overpaid and you overpaid when you bought. Donated money to middleman for nothing. If agents didnt exist, you would have saved money on the buying and your buyer would have saved money when you sold. Good for society overall. Less friction.
I don't think I overpaid for anything in my life. Whatever financial decision I made was based on me being happy to pay the price whatever that was. You call that overpaid, fine.
I was never poor, hungry, thirsty, homeless or broke. And that was, is, based on living within my means.

Reactions: mattjp1 and YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
This is good...but a very small %ge of market and only in BC/AB it seems. If agents are banned, services like these will dominate, which will be good for everyone.
I frankly do not feel comfortable to buy/sell property without the help of my agent (again what we did without was a unique situation and I don't see us doing that again). I mean things like opening doors and giving out my phone numbers to strangers to see my place? listening to their good and bad comments of my house. Negotiate with the actual seller or buyer... Not all transection is straight forward. And believe me, if I saw face to face of a few of those "buyers" who "gave an offer" but ... then fail to carry throught the transactions, I would kill or beat them up. (LOL) Thank god for the buffer of my agent. (that's years ago before the market got super hot)

I think in your case.. it's like you have an infection and you are pretty sure it's an infection and you want to get antibiotic without a doctor's prescription because it waste your time and money. Why won't the pharmacy just give you the medication.

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
I frankly do not feel comfortable to buy/sell property without the help of my agent (again what we did without was a unique situation and I don't see us doing that again). I mean things like opening doors and giving out my phone numbers to strangers to see my place? listening to their good and bad comments of my house. Negotiate with the actual seller or buyer... Not all transection is straight forward. And believe me, if I saw face to face of a few of those "buyers" who "gave an offer" but ... then fail to carry throught the transactions, I would kill or beat them up. (LOL) Thank god for the buffer of my agent. (that's years ago before the market got super hot)

I think in your case.. it's like you have an infection and you are pretty sure it's an infection and you want to get antibiotic without a doctor's prescription because it waste your time and money. Why won't the pharmacy just give you the medication.
There is no need to kill people who back out of deals. This is why you pay an actual expert - the lawyer. I have no problem paying top dollar for a good lawyer. I would be happy to pay 5% to lawyer and a flat fee to a lockbox opener.

In your stupid analogy...you wont go directly to doctor, but rather pay a lot of money for an agent to find you a doctor.

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
I don't think I overpaid for anything in my life. Whatever financial decision I made was based on me being happy to pay the price whatever that was. You call that overpaid, fine.
I was never poor, hungry, thirsty, homeless or broke. And that was, is, based on living within my means.
You didnt answer my question. You claim that your agent helped you get more than market value for your house. Yes or no?