+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Housing crisis in Canada

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Resurrecting an old thread, the federal government is considering a cap on the number of international students to ease the pressure on the housing market:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fraser-international-students-housing-1.6943009?cmp=rss#:~:text=The federal government is considering,with tackling Canada's housing crisis.

And the only reason they are even contemplating this is because their poll numbers are tanking . It’s not for the good of the people.
It’s self serving.
Case in point , this thread was started over two years ago.
Kinda ironic that the minister making this announcement was the previous minister of immigration, ( Anyone with a heartbeat Fraser) , who just recently stated PRIOR to the poll numbers coming out , they would not reduce anything, in terms of immigration numbers .
Incompetent

Last edited:

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
And the only reason they are even contemplating this is because their poll numbers are tanking . It’s not for the good of the people.
It’s self serving.
Case in point , this thread was started over two years ago.
Kinda ironic that the minister making this announcement was the previous minister of immigration, ( Anyone with a heartbeat Fraser) , who just recently stated PRIOR to the poll numbers coming out , they would not reduce anything, in terms of immigration numbers .
Incompetent
Agreed. It's just they don't have much to say these days but have to give press conference and statement. Just a marketing thing. If they don't waste time and money in these stupid tactics and give it a serious thought it would be helpful to all. They need to cease the immigration NOW....atleast for sometime...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed. It's just they don't have much to say these days but have to give press conference and statement. Just a marketing thing. If they don't waste time and money in these stupid tactics and give it a serious thought it would be helpful to all. They need to cease the immigration NOW....atleast for sometime...
Blaming immigration?

I think they should encourage municpalities in speeding the process of building permits, so that communities such as Lytton in BC can be rebuilt after the wildfire almost 2 years ago.

Reactions: Taran D

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Blaming immigration?

I think they should encourage municpalities in speeding the process of building permits, so that communities such as Lytton in BC can be rebuilt after the wildfire almost 2 years ago.
Above than that they should bring the prices down and also limit people buying houses. Have literally heard people buying houses like groceries...
"I was just sitting there and thought of buying a house by the time meals gets ready.." I mean seriously!!! They are the real psychos after government putting housing market in Canada on fire. Govt should put measure to this.

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
The Canadian housing market is a Ponzi scheme, driven wholly by immigration. Wages are low and taxes are high. No new immigrants will mean the housing market crashes, so I'm sure any reduction in numbers will be piecemeal. Too many people have made too much money from their plywood houses for anything else to be palatable.

Reactions: Taran D

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Strange , years ago , late 1900’s, early 2000’s before the increase in immigration, housing / rentals kept up with the rate of immigration. Even before that when I was growing up out west , and arriving into Toronto mid 1980’s . Supply met demand . It’s just not PR’s, it’s anyone with a heart beat coming into country that needs a place .

It’s called supply & demand. Believe it was covered in my 8th grade Social Studies class. The Liberals never mentioned the massive increase in their 2015 election platform . Anyone with half a brain coordinates the infrastructure with the provinces to accommodate such a massive immigration increase .
And the ONLY reason it’s now in the news is because the Liberals poll numbers are tanking . Immigration is supposed to be used for the benefit of the country , not for political gain .

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Canadian housing market is a Ponzi scheme, driven wholly by immigration. Wages are low and taxes are high. No new immigrants will mean the housing market crashes, so I'm sure any reduction in numbers will be piecemeal. Too many people have made too much money from their plywood houses for anything else to be palatable.
But there are always overseas Canadians returning to the country and inter provincial migrations reestablish themselves in other parts of the country.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
But there are always overseas Canadians returning to the country and inter provincial migrations reestablish themselves in other parts of the country.
I agree. And also "people who have made too much money from their plywood houses" are also buying too.

Housing is a complex issue. On top of the demand, the cost of building has increase since COVID with material and labour cost both went up with no sigh of going back down after.
And new building bylaw/codes that requires higher cost to build. (at least I see that in Vancouver building code for things like air tightness)