+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

hotel quarantine question - Toronto

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Hi everyone, my wife was recently approved for PR and we are just getting ready to pull the trigger on a flight to Toronto from China. Wondering if anyone has heard about which hotels are considered "the good ones". I've been looking around online and not coming up with much other than "don't get the cheapest ones". They all seem to have similar pricing -> about $1,200 all in, with a few outliers having lower prices -> around $900 all in for the 3 night stay. So I think i'm just going to rule those ones out.

Also, on the Government website it states: It's strongly suggested that you book your hotel as close as possible to your arrival date in Canada.
If rooms aren't available for your preferred dates, you must change your flight for a date when a government-authorized hotel is available.

Aren't those 2 sentences contradicting? It encourages you to book the hotel late, but if there are no vacancies (probably because you booked late) then you have to change your flight. Is booking a hotel for July 16th too early?

As always, thanks for any advice/opinions!

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
haha yeah every hotel review I see mentions how horrible the food was. I'm going to call them when I make a reservation to see if I can drop off a care package for my wife loaded with stuff she likes, as she has never left China and is a little bit of a picky eater... but don't tell her I said that!

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Not sure if the care package is possible but don't fret.
If the flight arrives in the morning and she gets through covid testing without delays then could be released from the resort hotel the next day.
Just have room service send her a 12-pack of Molson Canadian with a little flower and a note saying " Welcome to Canada "

Reactions: gtd1986

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Does anyone know if there is a cost to the the Covid tests when you arrive at the airport, as well as a cost to the Covid test for the hotel/day 8 of quarantine??
Trying to figure out if my wife needs any cash for when she lands but I don't think she will. Not like she can go anywhere haha

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Does anyone know if there is a cost to the the Covid tests when you arrive at the airport, as well as a cost to the Covid test for the hotel/day 8 of quarantine??
Trying to figure out if my wife needs any cash for when she lands but I don't think she will. Not like she can go anywhere haha
The arrival test is included with the hotel, day 8 test etc.

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
random question that doesn't apply to this post at all: My wife and I were discussing having a wedding in Canada in the future, and I would love to have her parents fly over for it. She claimed that it will take them 2 years to get a travel visa. I said that can't be true! Just went on the government processing times site, and although it wasn't 2 years, it did say 416 days. that's much longer (and oddly specific) than what I was anticipating it to say. Can that really be the case?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
random question that doesn't apply to this post at all: My wife and I were discussing having a wedding in Canada in the future, and I would love to have her parents fly over for it. She claimed that it will take them 2 years to get a travel visa. I said that can't be true! Just went on the government processing times site, and although it wasn't 2 years, it did say 416 days. that's much longer (and oddly specific) than what I was anticipating it to say. Can that really be the case?
That's just a calculation so true in some sense, yes.

But: during covid ircc has either not been processing visas or at absolute lowest priority because ... The vast majority of trv applicants cannot travel under covid rules.

Not at all clear how long they may take in future when travel rules loosened. But less time is likely.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Haha oh yeah phenomenal deals! going to drop $1,100 for 3 nights in paradise! jealous I can't join in on the fun!
Fortunately yes the hotels I've spoke with all provide a free shuttle.
$1,100 is a joke at this point but what can you do.
See if they offer coupons or rebates for all the meals she will probably miss.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
You may want to delay that idea for some time...... See how things are going next year.
Better to buy lottery tickets than apply for travel visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The time is essentially for all those who don't meet travel exemptions. Time is shorter for those meeting the travel exemption. Like your spouse they still may need to do hotel quarantine and remain separated from you both for the up to 14 days. Unless things have changed there are no deliveries to the quarantine hotels. I would suggest bringing some pot noodles but can't be chicken flavour.