+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hoping I can get a visitor record extension

Oct 15, 2019
I'm trying to figure out if I have enough of a reason to request an extension on my visitor record.

I've been studying in Canada as a US citizen since 2015 at a university which I just graduated from, and I'm attending the convocation later this month. My study permit expired in September, and from what I gathered, I had enough time to gather my things, move out of Canada, and find a job in the states without needing to get any additional papers. I tested this theory out 2 days after my permit expired by crossing into the states for an errand, and I got back in without any trouble.

I visited some family who live 10 hours away in the states for a couple weeks recently and upon getting to the border to attend convocation, I was issued a visitor record that expires on the 31st of October. I'm guessing the reason is my knee-jerk reaction of saying I "temporarily live in Canada until I can secure a job in the states", since I had less than 6 months on my apartment lease and have no intention on renewing it. They were keen on lecturing me on the difference between visiting and living. Fair enough.

Do I have a reasonable case for an extension on this visitor record? I don't think it's possible to gather all my things here, move out of the country, and find an apartment across the border within a span of 16 days. Especially since I'm still actively applying. I want to give myself a deadline of until December of this year, but anything is better than 16 days.

I should also mention I can go to the border office that issued this visitor record and plead my case in person.

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Why didn't you apply for a PGWP?

If you're an American citizen (it seems like you are?) then when you left Canada and re-entered, you were likely admitted as a temporary visitor. This should allow you to stay in Canada for six months without working.

If they issued you a short-term visitor record instead, you may have troubles getting back into Canada once you leave next. You could apply for an extension, but you're required to show ties back home and proof of funds to cover your stay - which you may not have.

Requesting an extension may buy you a little bit of time as it processes, but if it's rejected you must leave immediately.

Most people would have either applied for a PGWP, or knowing their study permit would expire soon, would have begun to make arrangements to return to their home country.

You are not granted "extra time" once your study permit expires. You have to either restore your status into a visitor status or leave the country. If ther were marginal time allocated for you to get your ducks in a row, that would be written on your permit.

Oct 15, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

I didn't apply for a PGWP, because my intention was to work in the States. I figured it would just be easier as an American citizen to find work in the states than work in Canada. Less hoops to jump through and all that. There's plenty of work in the area for what I'm looking for. As for arrangements to travel back home after my studies, I was just planning to road trip there in my own vehicle. I've done that numerous times so that's no big deal for me.

As for ties to back home, my parents live in the states, and the license plate on my vehicle is registered in that state. Plus, I want to find work in the States. Is that not enough? I can easily provide a bank statement showing I can afford the rent and all that. The only thing written on my visitor record is that it was "issued to (attend my) graduation ceremony".

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You're unlikely to have it extended beyond October 31st without a compelling reason.

Again, most people who realized their studies are finishing would have made arrangements to be ready to go once their studies were finished.

You can spend the money to request an extension, and maybe you should. But there is still a chance that IRCC will say "Your failure to plan is not our problem to solve," and deny you the extension.

Oct 15, 2019
Not sure if it means much at this point, but this is in the Detroit - Windsor area. It seemed silly to move out of Windsor, move all my things down to my parents' place 10 hours away, and then drive them back up north to Detroit to move into a new place without having a job secured yet. Especially since I would need to pay for a moving truck. I've been applying for jobs before my last exam as well, I just didn't think it would take this long to secure something.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Not sure if it means much at this point, but this is in the Detroit - Windsor area. It seemed silly to move out of Windsor, move all my things down to my parents' place 10 hours away, and then drive them back up north to Detroit to move into a new place without having a job secured yet. Especially since I would need to pay for a moving truck. I've been applying for jobs before my last exam as well, I just didn't think it would take this long to secure something.
You can file for an extension. If you do that, you'll want to entirely avoid leaving Canada and visiting the US until you are prepared to leave Canada permanently. If the extension is refused, you'll need to be prepared to leave within 30 days or less.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Rent a storage locker in Detroit or find an apartment. Given that you were only given until the 31st you may have problems criss crossing the border. Would at least sign a lease so you can show you are attempting to move to the US.

Reactions: k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Not to be too snide or rude, but if you said this to CBSA/IRCC, they would interpret your answer to be "it seemed silly to comply with the law, so I just overstayed."

Reactions: bellaluna

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm trying to figure out if I have enough of a reason to request an extension on my visitor record.

I've been studying in Canada as a US citizen since 2015 at a university which I just graduated from, and I'm attending the convocation later this month. My study permit expired in September, and from what I gathered, I had enough time to gather my things, move out of Canada, and find a job in the states without needing to get any additional papers. I tested this theory out 2 days after my permit expired by crossing into the states for an errand, and I got back in without any trouble.

I visited some family who live 10 hours away in the states for a couple weeks recently and upon getting to the border to attend convocation, I was issued a visitor record that expires on the 31st of October. I'm guessing the reason is my knee-jerk reaction of saying I "temporarily live in Canada until I can secure a job in the states", since I had less than 6 months on my apartment lease and have no intention on renewing it. They were keen on lecturing me on the difference between visiting and living. Fair enough.

Do I have a reasonable case for an extension on this visitor record? I don't think it's possible to gather all my things here, move out of the country, and find an apartment across the border within a span of 16 days. Especially since I'm still actively applying. I want to give myself a deadline of until December of this year, but anything is better than 16 days.

I should also mention I can go to the border office that issued this visitor record and plead my case in person.
Visitor extensions are currently taking 3-4 months to process. Apply for your extension a few days before Oct 31st. It likely won't even be processed by the time you leave in December.