+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hong Kong Spouse, Sponsorship, Citizenship I am so confused!

Generalx5

Oct 16, 2012
Hi Everyone, I am confused on what I need to do to sponsor my wife. I was reading up on PR, Visas, Citizenship, Sporsorship etc...

Im so confused, If I just want her to eventually gain canadian citizen status what do I need to do? we have a child together and she cant be away from her mom, so what can I do? She can only stay here 6 months at a time. Shes from Hong kong so no visas needed to come here.

Does she need to apply for PR? or is sponsorship application first? Should she be applying from Hong Kong instead? Or apply from within Canada?

So many forms and so many requirements on each form.... such a headache :'(

Whats the logical step to take? I also noticed that many of the forms in the PR is the same as the Sponsorship forms. Any help is appreciated!

Im a canadian citizen, and she is not, our daughter is in the process of Citizenship card, and Passport to follow soon.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Your wife can come visit you in Canada, as of course can the child. Once she is is Canada, she may only be given a 6-month stay, but she can apply to extend this.
For her to get citizenship, first you sponsor her to become a PR. As a PR, she can work in Canada and get health benefits. After she has lived in Canada for three years out of four, she can apply to become a citizen.
So, you should sponsor her. She can live in Hong Kong and you apply 'outland' for her. While waiting, she can come 'visit' you in Canada, and could possibly stay for the whole time it takes to process the application. With outland, you can appeal if the decision is 'no'.
Or she could come visit you in Canada, and then you apply 'inland' to sponsor her. She would then have to stay in Canada for the whole processing time, and you cannot appeal.

Note for inland, she has to be in Canada the whole time; for outland, she could stay in Hong Kong, or come visit you in Canada (and possibly stay for the whole time it takes to process).

Hong Kong's timelines are very long - well over a year. So in your case, inland may not take longer (usually it does). However, if you submit a lot of information showing your relationship is genuine, the application could be done outland much more quickly than the average.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In addition to what canadianwoman had said, once she get her PR visa and landed in Canada, she can return to Hong Kong with you. As long as she is living with you in Hong Kong, she can keep her PR status. Alternatively, if you want to live with her in Canada, after she landed, your in-laws can try to get a super visa which allows them to stay in Canada for up to two years.

Marty11

Star Member
Jan 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
Doc's Request.
20-06-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2011
File Transfer...
22-11-2011
Med's Request
26-09-2012
Med's Done....
17-07-2011, 13-10-2012
Interview........
20-06-2012
Passport Req..
20-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2012
LANDED..........
05-12-2012
For straighforward and very well documented cases, HK VO actually may be less than 6 months total (stage 1 + 2)- see FS and mobeyk cases on HK Time Line thread.
You two already having a child, just gather and build a bullit proof case and she can get her PR in 6 months. It is a bit of work to gather ond organize all evidence, but I think in the end it is worth the effort.

All the best.

Generalx5

Oct 16, 2012
Thanks everyone for the help! I understand what I need to do now. If anything comes up, Ill be sure to post here for the great help all of you are providing.

Generalx5

Oct 16, 2012
I have been told that If I apply for sponsorship, once approved, when she lands here at the airport she can fill in our address and have Immigration Canada send her the PR Card? So do I really need to fill in the form for the PR?

Or am I missing something here?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Generalx5 said:
I have been told that If I apply for sponsorship, once approved, when she lands here at the airport she can fill in our address and have Immigration Canada send her the PR Card? So do I really need to fill in the form for the PR?

Or am I missing something here?
Are you talking about a specific form? All forms need to be filled out to it's entirety. When your wife lands, she will just have to confirm her address and then they send the PR card to the right address :)

Generalx5

Oct 16, 2012
Well, its like this.

The sponsorship and PR are two seperate processes. If I just worked on the sponsorship, she will be able to fill in our address at the airport to have Immigration Canada send her the PR Card, without even applying for PR.

Sponsorship application package has maybe 6 forms that are also used in PR applications.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Generalx5 said:
Well, its like this.

The sponsorship and PR are two seperate processes. If I just worked on the sponsorship, she will be able to fill in our address at the airport to have Immigration Canada send her the PR Card, without even applying for PR.

Sponsorship application package has maybe 6 forms that are also used in PR applications.
No, initially, you need to fill out the sponsorship part and your wife would need to fill out the immigration part of the application and then forward the whole thing (sponsorship and immigration package) with supporting document to CPC-Miss (assume outland). Basically, your wife's immigration application will be process after your sponsorship was approved. Not until she get the PR Visa from the Hong Kong Visa Office and land at the Canadian port of entry (such as airport), can she instruct Immigration Canada to send the PR card to your address in Canada.

Marty11

Star Member
Jan 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
Doc's Request.
20-06-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2011
File Transfer...
22-11-2011
Med's Request
26-09-2012
Med's Done....
17-07-2011, 13-10-2012
Interview........
20-06-2012
Passport Req..
20-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2012
LANDED..........
05-12-2012
General

You need to focus on 1 thing at a time. For the time being focus now on gathering all your information and evidence of your relationship and then think how you will apply (inland or outland), fill out CORRECTLY all the sponsorship forms for you and immigration forms for your wife.
The PR forms are waaay down the road.

Cheers.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Generalx5 said:
Well, its like this.

The sponsor's application and the PR application are sent in together. You will be approved as the sponsor first, but they will have your wife's application forms too, and everything will then be sent to the Hong Kong visa office. So if she comes to visit you before she has a PR visa, she is just coming as a visitor and will just enter Canada like any other visitor from Hong Kong. Once she gets the PR visa, then she has to come to Canada with that visa - this is called 'landing'. She at that time fills in the form to have the PR card sent to your address; she definitely has to apply for a PR visa, which she does at the same time you apply to sponsor her.

Generalx5

Oct 16, 2012
I plan on applying from outland. So my focus is to gather all supporting documents, and fill out the sponsor and immigration application form.

My wife will need to fill out her PR visa application from HK. Is this correct?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The immigration application forms are the PR visa application.
Your wife fills out the PR visa application forms and sends them to you (or you could both fill them out together of course while she is with you in Canada). You fill out the sponsor forms, and send the sponsor and PR visa application forms together to Mississauga.
While she is waiting to get her PR visa, she can come to Canada to visit you without any visa. When she comes to Canada before she has the PR visa, she tells the border agents that she is just coming for a visit.