+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Holding two visas (a visitor visa and an immigration visa) at the same time

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
2. In theory, CBSA should strike out/physically void all Canadian visas in the passport of a newly landed PR.
They do however forget. The visas are still void, even if they are untouched. Attempting to use them is actually fraud.
Don't throw out big words without support. There is no fraud in showing a valid (not canceled) Visa in your passport to the airline. When I landed the CBSA officer himself told me to do it (without even asking). If the Visa has been canceled in the CBSA systems and airline checks those before boarding, then they will deny boarding. Once you reach CBSA, they don't care about the Visa. They can simply check the passport and let you in as a PR. We are not talking about misrepresenting to CBSA here.

Thank you very much for responding to my inquiry! Do you by any chance know where I can find official information/documentation stating that a person holding two visas (one of them being IM-1) can choose which one to use when traveling to Canada? Some people who responded to my post said that IM-1 invalidates the visitor visa, while others like you state that both visas are valid and I should be able to use the visitor visa for my short trip. Option 1 in your response would be ideal for my situation, but I want to make sure that IRCC does in fact allow it. I wasn't able to find any official information about holding two visas on the IRCC website, unfortunately. Thanks again!
Some people have done this. Besides, irrespective of whether you use IM1 Visa or TRV, you are making a choice. You cannot be using both Visas, right? Nowhere does it say that one Visa supercedes the other. So, simple answer is yes you can use your TRV for the short trip.

Reactions: RussS