+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Holding Two Valid Work Permit Simultaneously

Syed_A

Jan 21, 2010
Hi,

Is it possible to hold two valid temporary work permit simultaneously? Actually, I am currently working for a company and in the mean time have an offer from another employer. It would be difficult to join new employer and leaving current job immediately due to some pending imp work. Both employers are flexible to let me work simultaneously for couple of months.
Would appreciate if someone can share any information on this matter.

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is not possible. You can only have one valid permit at a time. You can not work for the new employer until you get your new work permit and as you get your new work permit, you may no longer work for the old employer.

Syed_A

Jan 21, 2010
I checked with CIC, as per Canadian law, any one can hold two valid work permit and can also work for two employers at the same time. I would recommend to please share only authentic information, as otherwise it can mislead others. Thanks..

Reactions: Chidex12345

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Syed_A said:
I checked with CIC, as per Canadian law, any one can hold two valid work permit and can also work for two employers at the same time. I would recommend to please share only authentic information, as otherwise it can mislead others. Thanks..
I think that you are the one misleading people. If you look at a work permit it states "only valid for the above employer at the above location" You can have one at a time. The only way you can work for 2 employers is to have an open work permit.

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
I have to disagree with you Leon and PMM, my apologies. I have 2 friends here in Canmore who have 2 valid working permits. They are both working at the Radisson and Tim Hortons. We thought first too that this is not possible but it is, they are living proof. They came to Canada under TWP for the Radisson, after a year Tim Hortons was able to get a positive LMO and eventually another working permit for those two.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lovely20 said:
I have to disagree with you Leon and PMM, my apologies. I have 2 friends here in Canmore who have 2 valid working permits. They are both working at the Radisson and Tim Hortons. We thought first too that this is not possible but it is, they are living proof. They came to Canada under TWP for the Radisson, after a year Tim Hortons was able to get a positive LMO and eventually another working permit for those two.
Well your friends if they are working at two jobs, I suggest you have them read their work permits. When they got the second one, the first was no longer valid.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
PMM said:
Hi

Well your friends if they are working at two jobs, I suggest you have them read their work permits. When they got the second one, the first was no longer valid. I will think that they will find that the latest work permits states, "only valid for the above employer and location"

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I have to agree with PMM, I always thought that if you got a second work visa, the first one became invalid. I suggest that your friends double check with CIC that they are not working the two jobs illegally.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have always been told that as well, that is that a 2nd work permit renders the first one invalid. I was told that by someone I know personally who had changed employers and gotten a new work permit at the border. He was told that he would no longer be allowed to work for the old employer. I have however never seen anything about that on the CIC website, just that if you want to start a new job, you need a new permit. Each permit will say that it is only valid for a particular employer

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon and PMM are right. The only way for a TFW to hold more than one job is if they are on an open work permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rjessome said:
Leon and PMM are right. The only way for a TFW to hold more than one job is if they are on an open work permit.
Agreed. The second work permit invalidated the first.

Lovely20 - Your friends are now working at their first jobs illegally.

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
Well if that is the case how come CIC hasn't flagged them? I will let them know your inputs and have them call CIC.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC is not all knowing and all seeing so it is quite possible that they just haven't been caught yet. Have them call the CIC call centre without giving their names, not from their own phones either and ask a hypothetical question, that is, if you get a new LMO and work permit for a new employer, does it invalidate your previous one or can you have two valid closed work permits at the same time and continue to work for both employers. After calling CIC once, they should call again a few hours later or the next day and see if they get another person and if they get the same answer. If they don't get the same answer, call again the 3rd time and ask the 3rd person to double check. If they do get told, as I suspect, that a new work permit invalidates the previous one, they should stop working for their first employer and focus on the 2nd one as those are the valid work permits and hope that they don't get caught having worked for the first one after getting the 2nd permit.

Syed_A

Jan 21, 2010
Guys,

I called CIC and they confirmed that a person can hold two work permit at same time and worked for two employers on their respective permit at same time. If anyone has doubt, pelase call CIC and confirm.

Reactions: Lc4life and RJW

out

Jun 23, 2012
if that is the case of allowable to have two work permits, why is it called closed work permit?

common sense also to the government of canada rather allowing lots of immigration processing from all citizen in the world that infuses lots of resources running the embassies and consulates the answer to all shortage of workers are double jobs to all regardless what catergory are you in.

the cic defines fairness to all. to employers who infuses resources of hiring tfw (airfare,agency fees and other required incidental expenses occurred in the process of hiring tfw from start to finish) is protected and covered the fullness of services entitled to be rendered to that respected employer. the cic maintains clear policy for closed permit holder. there will be no double standard of how is tfw program runs.

define this scenario:
an employer wishes to hire tfw specifically filipino, no need to effort to hire workers from the philippines firstly airfare is costly and takes too long aside from so much tedious processing. just look for prospective employee who is filipino and already here even if still working to another employer who infused so much of taking the employee to it's home country...is that fair?

cic is and it's policies, programs and guidelines keep on changing to safeguard each and everyone whenever conflicts arises or any kinks will come up along the way.

this is my one cent opinion...