+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hiv positive

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Where they ask how there will for medication?
They don’t ask specifically. Some people say they will get their medication from their home country. You can always bring in a 90 day supply of medication when you come to Canada as long as the medications are legal in Canada and that there is clear prescribing information, your name and the doctor’s name with the medication. Some get sent a 90 days duly of their medication through the mail. Only indicate this is you actually plan on doing this. If you get approved you should be covered by the drug program associated with your college typically or through some provincial health plans but you’ll need to do your research and look at the costs.

Stessi

Star Member
Aug 20, 2023
They don’t ask specifically. Some people say they will get their medication from their home country. You can always bring in a 90 day supply of medication when you come to Canada as long as the medications are legal in Canada and that there is clear prescribing information, your name and the doctor’s name with the medication. Some get sent a 90 days duly of their medication through the mail. Only indicate this is you actually plan on doing this. If you get approved you should be covered by the drug program associated with your college typically or through some provincial health plans but you’ll need to do your research and look at the costs.
Am under agent and I did not disclose to him but I did to the panel physician, am just worried and scared if they will ask my to tell them how I plan on paying for my med because if they do my agent will be the one to receive the email , am so stressed

Stessi

Star Member
Aug 20, 2023
You chance you had was to do all those laps the same day and to declare you had HIV that one it will had only been recorded on your medical records that will be sent from the hospital straight to ircc of which your agent wouldn’t know . Am from Ghana .
Hello please I really need to talk to you privately, do you have an email so I can message u privately

Stessi

Star Member
Aug 20, 2023
Don't disclose your status to anyone. It's confidential and IRCC will not disclose it neither, not even to your agent or whatsoever. Having HIV isn't a problem. I know a friend who HIV positive but currently working in Canada now (PGWP) .
Please do you have an email I can private chat you with please

sec990

May 19, 2019
I am in the process of applying for a study permit to come to Canada from Iran. As medical exams are not required for students applying for a visa from Iran, I have a concern related to my HIV status and the availability of Antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) upon my arrival.

If I choose not to disclose my HIV status during the application process(emphasizing that students from Iran are not required to undergo a medical exam), could this decision affect my ability to access ARVs in Canada? My primary worry is the possibility of being denied access to necessary medication upon my arrival.

I appreciate your assistance in advance.

Thank you.

Amreal

Nov 26, 2023
Hello everyone
Please I would like to know if I need to take along the viral load and CD4 count results from my hospital while going for medicals or if they'll run theirs there. Also, how do I buy a health plan from my home country to cover my meds? I'm planning on going to Memorial University, Newfoundland. Thank you as you provide answers.

Last edited:

Stessi

Star Member
Aug 20, 2023
Hello everyone
Please I would like to know if I need to take along the viral load and CD4 count results from my hospital while going for medicals or if they'll run theirs there. Also, how do I buy a health plan from my home country to cover my meds? I'm planning on going to Memorial University, Newfoundland. Thank you as you provide answers.
Yes you have to go with it

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the process of applying for a study permit to come to Canada from Iran. As medical exams are not required for students applying for a visa from Iran, I have a concern related to my HIV status and the availability of Antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) upon my arrival.

If I choose not to disclose my HIV status during the application process(emphasizing that students from Iran are not required to undergo a medical exam), could this decision affect my ability to access ARVs in Canada? My primary worry is the possibility of being denied access to necessary medication upon my arrival.

I appreciate your assistance in advance.

Thank you.
You have to declare your HIV status. If not that would be misrepresentation and could have consequences in further applications. If you arrive seeking out a prescription for your HIV it will be pretty clear that you were aware of your HIV status. You may need to do a medical once you indicate that you have a medical condition. Access to a doctor can be very difficult in some parts of the Canada. Some colleges and universities are in relatively small cities. Access to healthcare for international students varies between provinces and either through provincial healthcare or through a private plan.

Reactions: sec990

YoKmAr

Nov 28, 2023
Hi, my wife just got approved her visa SP January 2024 intake. I was diagnosed HIV+ last September 19 this year and gone through medical lab test and right away I was advice by my Doctor to take medication which I did since my CD4 counts are good and it doesn't show any medical complication. I never disclosed it to my wife yet.. I just want to know more information with the same case to make my application successful.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, my wife just got approved her visa SP January 2024 intake. I was diagnosed HIV+ last September 19 this year and gone through medical lab test and right away I was advice by my Doctor to take medication which I did since my CD4 counts are good and it doesn't show any medical complication. I never disclosed it to my wife yet.. I just want to know more information with the same case to make my application successful.
You will need to disclose your HIV status to your spouse because it is one of the requirements to get a permit. You should also want to tell your spouse so she can take steps to protect herself and because hiding a serious illness from a spouse is not the foundation of a good relationship. Also something I would suggest doing in person not when she goes to Canada and is about to start her studies. There are never any guarantees that a spouse will be awarded an OWP if their spouse is an international student. Did your spouse indicate on their application that you wish to join them in Canada?

YoKmAr

Nov 28, 2023
You will need to disclose your HIV status to your spouse because it is one of the requirements to get a permit. You should also want to tell your spouse so she can take steps to protect herself and because hiding a serious illness from a spouse is not the foundation of a good relationship. Also something I would suggest doing in person not when she goes to Canada and is about to start her studies. There are never any guarantees that a spouse will be awarded an OWP if their spouse is an international student. Did your spouse indicate on their application that you wish to join them in Canada?
I'm about to tell her before she leaved... In my knowledge itwas not indicated on her SOP that she's planning to bring me in canada. She process her application thru agency... I don't want to ilaborate more how it was happen that I got this virus...it is normal for couple to have argument were OK we leave in the same house but for some reason we never engaged with sex since January this year and my regular blood donation was done February so I'm positive that she's not infected because she passed the medical without any problem. I just found out my status this September when I did another blood donation which I came out reactive.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm about to tell her before she leaved... In my knowledge itwas not indicated on her SOP that she's planning to bring me in canada. She process her application thru agency... I don't want to ilaborate more how it was happen that I got this virus...it is normal for couple to have argument were OK we leave in the same house but for some reason we never engaged with sex since January this year and my regular blood donation was done February so I'm positive that she's not infected because she passed the medical without any problem. I just found out my status this September when I did another blood donation which I came out reactive.
If you intend to try and secure a SOWP would suggest you disclose your status to your spouse before you apply for the SOWP. It appears as though there may be multiple issues in your relationship so your family may need to reassess whether you want to apply for an SOWP after disclosing your status. It’s unfortunate that you didn’t disclose your status when your wife had a support system and you had access to resources like your HIV doctor but if your spouse has already left fir Canada there isn’t much you can do at this point. Hopefully she didn’t face any issues entering Canada relatively early and has extra funds since she can‘t work until she starts school. Given that many clinics and public health resources shUt down during the holidays. She may not have access to healthcare until she starts school but there may be free resources through public health or charities in certain provinces she could turn to for support and to answer any questions. I am sure your HIV status is difficult to disclose but delaying the disclosure is unlikely to help the situation.

Stessi

Star Member
Aug 20, 2023
That shouldn’t have been an issue your agent wouldn’t see your medical records.. I have hep b chronic in active when doing my medical I declare I have it and it was on my report I did extra laps that day yet I passed my medicals .. so now they will find out you have and ask you to do more laps which will only delay you
Hello