+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HIV positive applying to study in Canada

qtbh1995

Dec 10, 2021
Hello everyone, I am trying to apply to study in Canada. I have been HIV positive for 4 years and have been undetectable. As some members have said, for HIV positive applicants, their profile must be strong by showing admission from a top university. However, as I have finished my bachelor degree with low GPA (2.4 on 4), it is difficult for me.
I have considered study a bachelor degree again in a diffrent field as I want to change my job but it would not make my visa application solid. If I choose to go for a post grad degree or a vocational degree from colleges but it would get a small chance of denial.
Can you guys please tell me what should I do and what colleges can HIV applicants apply to? Has anyone living with HIV have sucessfully get study visa? Please help me. Thank you guys

Reactions: Lucky_59 and PG12

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello everyone, I am trying to apply to study in Canada. I have been HIV positive for 4 years and have been undetectable. As some members have said, for HIV positive applicants, their profile must be strong by showing admission from a top university. However, as I have finished my bachelor degree with low GPA (2.4 on 4), it is difficult for me.
I have considered study a bachelor degree again in a diffrent field as I want to change my job but it would not make my visa application solid. If I choose to go for a post grad degree or a vocational degree from colleges but it would get a small chance of denial.
Can you guys please tell me what should I do and what colleges can HIV applicants apply to? Has anyone living with HIV have sucessfully get study visa? Please help me. Thank you guys
Your HIV status has no impact on your college applications. Also, it is not an issue for admissibility into Canada, and as long as your count is low and you are relatively healthy.

Your course of study needs to show progression on your academics and/or career for a better chance at SP approval.

Reactions: captainarabiia

qtbh1995

Dec 10, 2021
Your HIV status has no impact on your college applications. Also, it is not an issue for admissibility into Canada, and as long as your count is low and you are relatively healthy.

Your course of study needs to show progression on your academics and/or career for a better chance at SP approval.
Thank you. Can you tell me more? Does my HIV status affect my visa (I am undetectable)? Do I have to get admission from top universities to get my visa? My GPA is low so my chance of getting to master degree is not high? Do you know what colleges I can apply to? Can I apply to post grad programs and still get visa to Canada?
Please help. Thank you

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Thank you. Can you tell me more? Does my HIV status affect my visa (I am undetectable)? Do I have to get admission from top universities to get my visa? My GPA is low so my chance of getting to master's degree is not high? Do you know what colleges I can apply to? Can I apply to post-grad programs and still get a visa to Canada?
Please help. Thank you

Hello Qtbh1995,

Your status does not make you inadmissible to study in Canada, especially when it is undetectable in your viral. Try to show (budget) sufficient funds between CAD 7,000 – CAD 21,000 to meet your health care needs and as a demonstration that you will not be a liability to the GoC. The major ground to cover after demonstrating your genuineness to study is presenting sufficient funds enough to cover your study and health/medication supplies.

Opting to study for a Master is a good decision but it does not necessarily mean it is the right study choice or path. Not everybody is eligible for a Master and even those that are eligible may not want to study for a Master due to professional reasons or career prospects. The officers are aware of these factors, as you just need to tell or convince them that you know what you are doing.

Kindly do not consider going for a second Bachelors rather go for a PGD/C in a course that demonstrates a study or career progression from your previous study if a young or fresh out graduate or work experience if you are a mature applicant with lots of experience. The ability for you to be able to show the officer your genuine intent to study, the importance of the course, benefits, and prospect for the study, you are a step close to an improved chance.

You can consider Humber, Conestoga, Confederation, George Brown, St. Lawrence, etc. Try to apply to more than one college, as colleges can still refuse your application based on low CGPA.

–JS

Reactions: qtbh1995

qtbh1995

Dec 10, 2021
Hello Qtbh1995,

Your status does not make you inadmissible to study in Canada, especially when it is undetectable in your viral. Try to show (budget) sufficient funds between CAD 7,000 – CAD 21,000 to meet your health care needs and as a demonstration that you will not be a liability to the GoC. The major ground to cover after demonstrating your genuineness to study is presenting sufficient funds enough to cover your study and health/medication supplies.

Opting to study for a Master is a good decision but it does not necessarily mean it is the right study choice or path. Not everybody is eligible for a Master and even those that are eligible may not want to study for a Master due to professional reasons or career prospects. The officers are aware of these factors, as you just need to tell or convince them that you know what you are doing.

Kindly do not consider going for a second Bachelors rather go for a PGD/C in a course that demonstrates a study or career progression from your previous study if a young or fresh out graduate or work experience if you are a mature applicant with lots of experience. The ability for you to be able to show the officer your genuine intent to study, the importance of the course, benefits, and prospect for the study, you are a step close to an improved chance.

You can consider Humber, Conestoga, Confederation, George Brown, St. Lawrence, etc. Try to apply to more than one college, as colleges can still refuse your application based on low CGPA.

–JS
Dear John,
Thank you for your reply. May I ask is it possible for me to get a Canada visaeven if I choose to enroll in a post-graduate course in a normal school/colleges?

qtbh1995

Dec 10, 2021
Nobody can select what program or school you should apply to. As others have suggested pick a program that leads to career progression based on your bachelors and work history.
Thank you for your reply. What my concern is whether getting to a top school affect my visa acyually. Can I still get admission to a normal college and still get visa consideration (my GPA is not high enough for the master programs at top university) ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. What my concern is whether getting to a top school affect my visa acyually. Can I still get admission to a normal college and still get visa consideration (my GPA is not high enough for the master programs at top university) ?
In general, better schools (especially universities) probably have a better chance of approval but many things are considered.

qtbh1995

Dec 10, 2021
In general, better schools (especially universities) probably have a better chance of approval but many things are considered.
Thank you. What should I do then? My GPA is not high enough to get into a master degree in a top university. I can only apply to normal colleges. Is applying to a bachelor degree again an available option?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. What should I do then? My GPA is not high enough to get into a master degree in a top university. I can only apply to normal colleges. Is applying to a bachelor degree again an available option?
Would apply for a postgrad degree from a decent college and hope for the best.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
As long as you pass medical, your medical history has NO affect on the outcome of your visa.

loo1201

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
01-05-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2021
You don't need to apply to a top tier school to get accepted. That has a low impact on the final decision. There are plenty of smaller colleges that offer quality education. As long as they are approved by the province as being a publicly funded institution ie, any college/uni that are not private schools.

You need to first get an admission letter then show proofs of funds. I would focus on that first. Your medical history has zero affect on the decision.