+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hiv Positive applying for student visa

HIV_NotAStigma

May 26, 2022
Also check with your school student insurance. Mine covers up to 2500 cad per year for HIV medicine. Though honestly it's not that much considering the cost of HIV meds in CA. so better go to province with coverage.

You are also allowed to bring 3 months of meds on your flight and have someone send you the meda every 3 months if you end up in a province with no coverage.
Hi all, first of all I want to thank you each one of you for being helpful to so many people out there as there is lilttle to no information is there on such topic I wish I would have found this thread much earlier.

I am also planning to study in Canada below are my questions.

1. You guys applied with the help of agents or this can be done on our own?

2. I have done my Bcom(Honours) and MCom from India (commerce) which course should I select as I have already done my masters in India.

2. I am still in dilemma if would be eligible to get PR after my studies are completed?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi all, first of all I want to thank you each one of you for being helpful to so many people out there as there is lilttle to no information is there on such topic I wish I would have found this thread much earlier.

I am also planning to study in Canada below are my questions.

1. You guys applied with the help of agents or this can be done on our own?

2. I have done my Bcom(Honours) and MCom from India (commerce) which course should I select as I have already done my masters in India.

2. I am still in dilemma if would be eligible to get PR after my studies are completed?
So if you are very confident, researched well and ready to take risk apply yourself but I would suggest to take professional help as they knows the best about the process ( few don't).
Depends upon your mindset, research colleges for their requirements, first of all get your WES.
Last but not the least nothing or no one can assurely give you an answer for PR concern. I had seen people with foreign studies getting PR and had also seen international students in Canada waiting for invitation after an year.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello if anyone is reading this thread please help me .. I am planning to study in Canada and I am HIV positive with undetectable viral load and my CD4 is also in good range I have a query do I have to mention in My SOP that I am HIV positive ?and also I am planning to study in Alberta which is the top university in Alberta so that my visa rejections chances are less
Yes you have to mention about any medical condition or medication you are taking. IRCC medical panel will decide further about it.

HIV_NotAStigma

May 26, 2022
So if you are very confident, researched well and ready to take risk apply yourself but I would suggest to take professional help as they knows the best about the process ( few don't).
Depends upon your mindset, research colleges for their requirements, first of all get your WES.
Last but not the least nothing or no one can assurely give you an answer for PR concern. I had seen people with foreign studies getting PR and had also seen international students in Canada waiting for invitation after an year.
By professional you meant Agents or Lawyer? Because I live in India and I am not sure if it would be a good idea to let the agent know about my Status though it doesn’t matter but still if you know any Visa agency who handle such cases effectively please let me know_/\_

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
By professional you meant Agents or Lawyer? Because I live in India and I am not sure if it would be a good idea to let the agent know about my Status though it doesn’t matter but still if you know any Visa agency who handle such cases effectively please let me know_/\_
I mean agent who can help you file your case. Yes in India you have to be very cautious. Sorry I don't know any agent.

HIV_NotAStigma

May 26, 2022
Hello everyone. I'm sorry for not being able to follow up on this. I would like to let you know that my visa application got approved. My medical was completed after my sputum test result came out negative. I also got clearance from St Lukes infectious disease doctor and signed some form that they had to send to Immigration (which is already part of the SOP for PLHIV). My visa was just released this week, I'm supposed to fly to Canada this May but because of personal matters I will be taking my first term online while in the Philippines and will just fly by the end of term in August. If you have any questions feel free to reply. I will be happy to help you with anything you'd like to know about this.

Best of luck to everyone and don't let this hinder you from achieving greater things in life.
Hi Ho would universality get to know about our HIV status and how will they register us to the Insurance policy in Canada?

HIV_NotAStigma

May 26, 2022
Hello Guys, I am an HIV positive for a year and now undetectable. I am willing to move to Canada on a student visa In India no one has idea about it, if anyone can help me if I can move to Canada or not? if yes then if anyone can help me with the medical process how it goes and what all documents are required.
Didn’t you started your Visa application?

HIV_NotAStigma

May 26, 2022
Guys to people who had came thru with an agency . Did you disclose your hiv status to any agent? or did you just disclose it on the medical? Has there at any chance to know your status to the agent that handled you if you will hide to them? I'm in my preparation now for the January 2023 Intake for student. Please give me an insight, Thank you.
Same question I had , did you start your application? I am from India and I am not sure if it will be good to tell the agent about the HIV status

HIV_NotAStigma

May 26, 2022
I would like to share my medical experience (that us is still in progress) so that you can have a headstart. I advise that you do your medical as early as possible cause it might take 3 to 6 months to complete. As someone living with HIV we are required to do sputum culture and the result can take more than 2 months. And we are also required 2 sets of chest xray with interval of 3 months.

Before you book your medical get all your docs from the treatment hub like your latest CD4, Viral Load and Medical Certificate. You have to attach these docs to your application. If you have been treated for TB or Syphilis you also have to bring records of that. If not, then no need. There are cases where we might test false positive in syphilis, like me, so they had to do another test to confirm that it's negative.

You will also be asked for extra tests like Hepa B and Hepa C. Which is going to be an extra payment on top of the medical package.

We also have to be evaluated by their in house Infectious Disease doctor and Pulmonologist cause it requires their clearance.

All in all the process is quite easy but he prepared to return to the center multiple times, especially for the sputum culture which is done for 3 consecutive days. I have done my medical Oct and my 2nd xray is scheduled end of January. My medical will only be completed once my 2nd xray is clear and my sputom culture comes out negative.

If you wonder what will be done if you are positive with the sputum culture. You will have to take medication for 6 months. So I am praying hard it will be negative. My other 2 sputum tests (smear) already came out negative so I hope the sputum culture will come out negative as well.
Hi What is the good CD4 count I mean what was your count so that I can get an idea that mine is ok to proceed.

ItsCrazyOutHere

Feb 13, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
23-08-21
Med's Request
15-10-21
Med's Done....
26-07-22
Do u have any update about your application?
HI, I'm so sorry. I never got an update for this.

Yes. I literally just passed my medicals a few hours ago. Came back to update one of my posts when I came across this thread.

How about you? It's been almost two months. Have you gotten PPR?

ItsCrazyOutHere

Feb 13, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
23-08-21
Med's Request
15-10-21
Med's Done....
26-07-22
Do u get your Student permit already?
LOL, what? I just got my medicals passed YESTERDAY after five months of silence. Hopefully I get my study permit in the next few days/weeks.

Have you gotten any updates since?