+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hiv Positive applying for student visa

sec990

May 19, 2019
I am in the process of applying for a study permit to come to Canada from Iran. As medical exams are not required for students applying for a visa from Iran, I have a concern related to my HIV status and the availability of Antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) upon my arrival.

If I choose not to disclose my HIV status during the application process(emphasizing that students from Iran are not required to undergo a medical exam), could this decision affect my ability to access ARVs in Canada? My primary worry is the possibility of being denied access to necessary medication upon my arrival.

I appreciate your assistance in advance.

Thank you.
Dear friends can anybody help me?

Independent

Jun 22, 2023
Hello, please for students going to Toronto how do you intend to pass the port of entry. Do they ask how you will get ARVs after the one you come with get exhausted ? Also they give asign you a nurse for follow up or do they recommend facilities in Toronto where you can get the drugs. Please someone who as passed through this should please explain.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, please for students going to Toronto how do you intend to pass the port of entry. Do they ask how you will get ARVs after the one you come with get exhausted ? Also they give asign you a nurse for follow up or do they recommend facilities in Toronto where you can get the drugs. Please someone who as passed through this should please explain.
You are expected to use the drug plan that is part of you international student health insurance policy. Landing at the airport they are only verifying that you only have a 90 day supply of your medication and they are packaged correctly with the name of the prescribing doctor with directions. Also may look up whether the medications are legal in Canada if they have any doubts. Any other issues sh
uld have been addressed before coming to Canada.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Just to expand on what @canuck78 said, you are not assigned a nurse. You have to find your own doctor to prescribe medications. Start with the health clinic on your campus for advice.

Independent

Jun 22, 2023
You are expected to use the drug plan that is part of you international student health insurance policy. Landing at the airport they are only verifying that you only have a 90 day supply of your medication and they are packaged correctly with the name of the prescribing doctor with directions. Also may look up whether the medications are legal in Canada if they have any doubts. Any other issues sh
Thank you, what if my student insurance didn’t cover the drugs ? Will that be a concern Mabi at the port of entry?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you, what if my student insurance didn’t cover the drugs ? Will that be a concern Mabi at the port of entry?
If plan doesn’t cover the drugs, then you need to have the funds to pay for it. Immigration officers aren’t going to go through your health plan to see if covered. But if they ask then show that you have the funds, and know the cost of the drugs per month.

Independent

Jun 22, 2023
Okay great, please do you also suggest the drug type I’m going with must be available in canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Okay great, please do you also suggest the drug type I’m going with must be available in canada?
If your current drug regimen isn’t available in Cananada as long as it’s legal in Canada it’s fine. Because Canada is a small country not all combinations of HiV medications are available commercially in Canada but it doesn’t mean they aren’t legal. Pharmacare and international student programs vary by province. If you only have a certain cap and the cost of your medication will go over the cap then you can have your medication mailed to you in a 3 month supply at a time. Some provinces have charities or public health organizations where you can access HIV medication. I think they have an office in Vancouver and there may be offices in some of the other large cities.

frenchfries88

Jan 5, 2024
hi there. any update about you? your application and your health?

Hello everyone, I just found out my hiv positive result today from iom I was called and talk to. But I’ve submitted my application and upfront late last month even did biometric today. The doctor said it was every low in me, the virus. I didn’t even have any symptoms and it is good it was detected now so I can get on the drugs right away and get undetectable asap. Coming back home and going through this thread I just realized I wasn’t told anything on like cd4 or viral load. Will I know that after I start taking the drugs

My question is since my file is already with ircc how do I tell them know I plan on shipping the drugs every three months( I have gone through the thread to know the drug can be shipped)

Will this new test results affect my proof of funds now? I use an agent for my process and I don’t want him or anyone to know now for privacy reasons. It’s all new to me I don’t even want to start thinking and get stressed and depressed now I just want this visa process to be over first,

secondly I will be going to Regina at Saskatchewan what is the policy there what can I expect. Please I don’t know the questions to ask now it’s all new to me never had this kind of shock in my life. But please if you are at Saskatchewan or any provinces that know what it is like in Sask and you know where am I going with the questions please help me with a response please I beg you. I appreciate your reply thank you
[/QUOTE]