+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HIV positive and worried about my chances of being selected

Dmitriy77

Apr 17, 2019
Good day guys please help! Yesterday I received medical forms don't know what to do I have HIV+ my girlfriend has HIV-. Has anyone received a PR with such cases? I had complications or what is not said, it is necessary to prove that the financial burden will not be great, but the fear is that the refuse!

express2020

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
Good day guys please help! Yesterday I received medical forms don't know what to do I have HIV+ my girlfriend has HIV-. Has anyone received a PR with such cases? I had complications or what is not said, it is necessary to prove that the financial burden will not be great, but the fear is that the refuse!
When were you diagnosed?
Are you on any Treatment?

Your case won't be won't be refused if
1) you are currently on treatment for more than 6 months with an undetectable Viral Load
2) The ART medication that you are currently on should be less than <19000 CAD (leaving another ~1500 CAD for Doctor visits & labs)
3) You don't have any other STI infections

It's a Long process but you guys will definitely get a PR if you prove that your annual treatment costs are below $20,517.

Kindly ask if you have any more questions. Best Wishes.

Dmitriy77

Apr 17, 2019
Thank you very much for your reply! I have been using for almost 11 months, once infected, no other diseases, undetectable load more than 6 months, taking efavirenz, Tenofovir lamuvidin

express2020

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
Thank you very much for your reply! I have been using for almost 11 months, once infected, no other diseases, undetectable load more than 6 months, taking efavirenz, Tenofovir lamuvidin
I think you should be fine. The Drug combo you are on with Tenofovir Lamuvidine Efavirenz is known as ATRIPLA in Canada. You will be under the medical cost threshold and since you don't have any other infections you won't receive the financial burden letter for sure.

Dmitriy77

Apr 17, 2019
[QUOTE = "express2020, post: 7763733, member: 792268"] Я думаю, что у тебя все будет хорошо. Комбинация лекарств, которую вы принимаете вместе с тенофовиром, ламувидином, эфавиренцем, известна как ATRIPLA в Канаде. Вы будете ниже порога медицинских расходов, и, поскольку у вас нет других инфекций, вы точно не получите письмо о финансовом бремени. [/ QUOTE]
Need something to count and prove? And immediately write that I have a positive status?

express2020

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
[QUOTE = "express2020, post: 7763733, member: 792268"] Я думаю, что у тебя все будет хорошо. Комбинация лекарств, которую вы принимаете вместе с тенофовиром, ламувидином, эфавиренцем, известна как ATRIPLA в Канаде. Вы будете ниже порога медицинских расходов, и, поскольку у вас нет других инфекций, вы точно не получите письмо о финансовом бремени. [/ QUOTE]
Need something to count and prove? And immediately write that I have a positive status?
Yes, you have to declare upfront that you are positive.

For CIC Medical Exam, carry copies of your medical records from the date you were diagnosed

imagine

Jun 19, 2018
Any idea about where can I get detailed information on how is HIV treatment costs covered under the Canadian Health Policy for Permanent Residents. I know I am jumping a step ahead even before getting a PR but online search is not giving me a good source for the same.
Are medical tests, medicines, consultations all covered by the Health Policy or we have to bear part of it? Are there long waiting lines for medication, tests, etc? What are the pros and cons for HIV positive patients immigrating to Canada through Express entry?

imagine

Jun 19, 2018
@imagine What is the status of your medical exam? Have you gotten any updates on that?
Nothing as of now. I checked with the Medical centre if there was any requirement of any additional tests/reports but they said there is no such requirement at their end.
It's a wait. That's it. :|

imagine

Jun 19, 2018
Nothing as of now. I checked with the Medical centre if there was any requirement of any additional tests/reports but they said there is no such requirement at their end.
It's a wait. That's it. :|
Just got off from a call with IRCC helpline. The agent was very helpful and informed me that my Visa Office is Ottawa and the file has been with them since 13 Dec'2018. My Background Check and eligibility have been met. The only thing which is pending are the Medical Results which are being evaluated. Rest the file looked good to him progress wise. Any inference that I can take out from this information?

express2020

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018

Are medical tests, medicines, consultations all covered by the Health Policy or we have to bear part of it?

Yes, Consultations and labwork costs are covered. Medicines are not covered. Your monthly/annual medical cost depends on which province you live in and whether you have work/private insurance or not.

if you have Private Insurance the Provincial health Departments will charge them first for your medications. Sometimes you may have to pay a small co-pay charged by insurance providers eg $0-$100 per monthly refill or per 3-month refills based on which plan you/your company is on. This co-pay may be / sometimes paid off with the drug manufacturer's discount cards or with help of some provincial high co-pay help programs.

if you don't have private insurance your charges vary depending on which province you live.

Charges for someone with no private insurance

No Charge:):) ----- Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nunavut, North West Territories

Annual Charges per Pharma Year( 1st Apr - 30th March) ;);)
---- Quebec -- $1046 ,New Brunswick --- $250, Yukon --- $250, Nova Scotia --- $120

Household Income % based Charges :(:(--- Ontario -- 4% of your household income under the Trillium Drug Program, Manitoba -- 2.97-6.73% of the combined family income

Are there long waiting lines for medication, tests, etc?

No...If you live in a big city it is not going to be tough for you to find an HIV care clinic for tests.if you live in a remote town you may need to travel few hours to the nearest city for your appointments. Medication delivery times again depends on the province and city you live. it shouldn't be a long wait even if you live in remote places.

What are the pros and cons of HIV positive patients immigrating to Canada through Express entry?

Pro - except ON, MB, QC most states have excellent medication help programs.
Cons -
* If you don't have private insurance or you lose your job you may have to pay a few hundred to thousand dollars for medication costs.
* Qualified doctors may not be available in small towns and remote provinces
* They have very strict criminality laws. so you should let your sexual partner know that you are +ve even if you are using protection or undetectable which may be a problem in your dating life.

thereaIperson

May 11, 2019
I have been positive for a year now and have been taking my meds. Currently, my VL is undetectable and my CD4 is greater than 500.

My CRS score is over 450 and I really think I have a good chance to be selected for Express Entry. However, I am extremely worried about my chances of passing the medical exam. I am taking the drug combo Efavirenz/lamivudine/tenofovir. Atripla isn’t available in my country.

Should I still go through the application or are the chances slim for me? Also, how long does the overall process take for a poz person to apply?

Reactions: Beebeesas

express2020

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
I have been positive for a year now and have been taking my meds. Currently, my VL is undetectable and my CD4 is greater than 500.

My CRS score is over 450 and I really think I have a good chance to be selected for Express Entry. However, I am extremely worried about my chances of passing the medical exam. I am taking the drug combo Efavirenz/lamivudine/tenofovir. Atripla isn’t available in my country.

Should I still go through the application or are the chances slim for me? Also, how long does the overall process take for a poz person to apply?
Telura is just a Generic Version of Atripla. You should be fine

karthik1229

May 7, 2019
Hi,

I am from India. I was diagnosed with HIV+ in November 2017 and I have been on ART drug (Efavirenz, Emtricitabine & tenofovir tablet) ever since. My CD4 and Viral load UD and other reports are pretty good. Now, I have been thinking to migrate to Canada for work. I have no family member In Canada.

So my concern right now is how much does the treatment cost? And is there a chance that I can migrate with given condition of my health?

Any advice or suggestions will be dearly appreciated.

ZEDDZ

May 13, 2019
Hi,

I was also diagnosed with HIV+, I think those informations will interest you :

AOR : 27/11/2018
médical : 21/11/2018 ( I informed the panel physician that I am HIV +)
* two week's later, he asked me to bring a détailed report from my doctor ( a report wich contain all the information about my médication, VL, CD4 and....)
* 18/01/2019 : I received a mail from The London Regional Medical Office : "they ask me to do Hepatitis B and C test."
Your immigration medical examination result has been received and in order to complete the assessment additional information is required.
Please contact the office of your Panel Physician or any other Panel Physician approved by IRCC, who will need your IME number (indicated above) to access the instructions for the additional tests to be performed.
You have 60 days from the date of this letter to comply with this request.

* 09/05/2019 :
I received a furtherance letter from Ottawa : ( sorry for the tradution, the original one was in frensh) : "they ask me to do an
Interferon Gamma Release Assay Known as the IGRA test ( for détection of tuberculosis)

We need additional medical information in order to adjudicate your claim.
Details regarding the required medical information have been sent to your eMedical record. You
please return to the designated physician who has given you your regulatory medical examination
for Immigration Purposes (EMR) or another designated physician with access to the eMedical system
(). The latter will make the necessary arrangements to make you
pass the additional medical examinations and will transmit the results directly to this office.
You have 60 days from the date of this letter to comply with this directive.

Now i am waiting for the next ..... good luck to everybody
Sorry for my english.