+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

History of visitor extension refusal and now want to apply for study permit

mark1230

Feb 27, 2019
Hi everyone! I would like to have an advise regarding my situation and how it will affect my future plans...

I visited Canada and maxed my stay then I was encouraged by my brother to study while I'm young, so I applied to extend my visitor visa for another six months so I could apply within Canada as advised by an immigration consultant.

I stated my intentions to study in my visitor extension application and it got refused.

Now I am back in my home country and applying for a study permit as soon as I receive my LOA. How will my history affect my current application?

Thank you in advance!

mark1230

Feb 27, 2019
Do you actually have intention to study or are looking to work? If you have records of work from your previous stay, you should never bring it up.
I recently graduated and have no valuable work experience as of yet... which is why studying abroad for me would be very helpful in building my career growth.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Although nobody here can predict approval just make sure you mention any previous applications and in particular refusals in any study permit application.

Although as hopefully you know is important that any course you apply for is relevant to your current qualifications and shows that will improve your prospects when you return to your home country. Add to that prove financially that you can cover at least the first years fees and living expense.

No surprise really if you stated purpose of extending visitor stay was to wait out a study permit application given IRCC like those to be applied for from outside Canada.