+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Helpful information about the CoPR - eTA situation

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Hi everyone

Quick disclaimer here. I'm not a lawyer and this is not an advice cause I don't have any right to give any advice if you do or do not need an eTA. Please make your own decision about obtaining an eTA before you flight. This here is just what I personally found out and my personal opinion.

I saw a few people here (including myself) on this forum asking if they still need an eTA when they have their CoPR document on hand. The CIC website clearly says that no eTA is necessary when you have your Confirmation of Permanent Residency.
(Link):

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

I was confused myself for a while cause I saw some people saying that they got their eTA even when they had their CoPR just in case to avoid any problems at the airport, so I decided to write this quick post to show the information that I found.
Along with the CoPR (IMM-5688) documents I received a letter stating that:

“IMM-5688 is linked to your passport with an electronic facilitation counterfoil (eFoil) and acts like the equivalent of an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), allowing you to travel to Canada without an immigrant visa. You do not need to apply for an eTA.”

An email to the Canadian Embassy confirmed that.

I know that it sounds unnecessary already but I also contacted my airline asking them the same question and told them exactly what the Canadian Embassy confirmed. I was told that as an airline they need only my passport to scan and my flight reservation details and if the Canadian Embassy says that it's fine than it should be fine.

I googled what that electronic facilitation counterfoil (eFoil) exactly means and this is what I found:

"Electronic facilitation counterfoil (eFoil)
An eFoil is created automatically in the Global Case Management System when an officer generates a temporary resident permit or a Confirmation of Permanent Residence for a visa-exempt foreign national. This virtual document is issued to ensure that visa-exempt foreign nationals are permitted to embark on their flight, following airline verification of their passport and travel documents, via the Canada Border Services Agency’s Interactive Advance Passenger Information system (it should be noted that this system is currently available in air mode only)."
I'm not sure what that last part in the bracket means though.
(Link):
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/terms-definitions.html#e
Digging a bit deeper I also did some research, checking what that Canada Border Services Agency’s (CBSA) Interactive Advance Passenger Information system is, and this is what I was able to find:

"The Interactive Advance Passenger Information (IAPI) process allows commercial airlines to provide API/PNR data to the CBSA prior to take-off. This information helps commercial airlines determine whether or not you have the appropriate travel document to enter Canada (for example, Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization [eTA ]). Once the CBSA receives the information, the CBSA electronically sends a "board" or "no-board" message to commercial airlines before the individual boards a flight to Canada. Upon arrival in Canada, all travellers must still present themselves to a Border Services Officer, and present the appropriate travel documents."
(Link):
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/api_ipv-eng.html

So concluding the subject (in my personal opinion) it makes sense what the airline told me that they only need my passport and my reservation details. It looks like they just scan your passport, the info goes to CBSA and they just receive a message saying "board" or "no-board". So it looks like it doesn't matter if you have an eTA or CoPR with an automatically generated eFoil cause both work pretty much the same way. The information about you being allowed to board the plane to Canada or not just sits in CBSA's system waiting for the airline to scan your passport and just give the "green light".

This is my personal conclusion.

I hope that helps

Last edited:

Shippo

Jan 12, 2019
Hi everyone

Quick disclaimer here. I'm not a lawyer and this is not an advice cause I don't have any right to give any advice if you do or do not need an eTA. Please make your own decision about obtaining an eTA before you flight. This here is just what I personally found out and my personal opinion.

I saw a few people here (including myself) on this forum asking if they still need an eTA when they have their CoPR document on hand. The CIC website clearly says that no eTA is necessary when you have your Confirmation of Permanent Residency.
(Link):

I was confused myself for a while cause I saw some people saying that they got their eTA even when they had their CoPR just in case to avoid any problems at the airport, so I decided to write this quick post to show the information that I found.
Along with the CoPR (IMM-5688) documents I received a letter stating that:

“IMM-5688 is linked to your passport with an electronic facilitation counterfoil (eFoil) and acts like the equivalent of an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), allowing you to travel to Canada without an immigrant visa. You do not need to apply for an eTA.”

An email to the Canadian Embassy confirmed that.

I know that it sounds unnecessary already but I also contacted my airline asking them the same question and told them exactly what the Canadian Embassy confirmed. I was told that as an airline they need only my passport to scan and my flight reservation details and if the Canadian Embassy says that it's fine than it should be fine.

I googled what that electronic facilitation counterfoil (eFoil) exactly means and this is what I found:

"Electronic facilitation counterfoil (eFoil)
An eFoil is created automatically in the Global Case Management System when an officer generates a temporary resident permit or a Confirmation of Permanent Residence for a visa-exempt foreign national. This virtual document is issued to ensure that visa-exempt foreign nationals are permitted to embark on their flight, following airline verification of their passport and travel documents, via the Canada Border Services Agency’s Interactive Advance Passenger Information system (it should be noted that this system is currently available in air mode only)."
I'm not sure what that last part in the bracket means though.
(Link):
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/terms-definitions.html#e
Digging a bit deeper I also did some research, checking what that Canada Border Services Agency’s (CBSA) Interactive Advance Passenger Information system is, and this is what I was able to find:

"The Interactive Advance Passenger Information (IAPI) process allows commercial airlines to provide API/PNR data to the CBSA prior to take-off. This information helps commercial airlines determine whether or not you have the appropriate travel document to enter Canada (for example, Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization [eTA ]). Once the CBSA receives the information, the CBSA electronically sends a "board" or "no-board" message to commercial airlines before the individual boards a flight to Canada. Upon arrival in Canada, all travellers must still present themselves to a Border Services Officer, and present the appropriate travel documents."
(Link):
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/api_ipv-eng.html

So concluding the subject (in my personal opinion) it makes sense what the airline told me that they only need my passport and my reservation details. It looks like they just scan your passport, the info goes to CBSA and they just receive a message saying "board" or "no-board". So it looks like it doesn't matter if you have an eTA or CoPR with an automatically generated eFoil cause both work pretty much the same way. The information about you being allowed to board the plane to Canada or not just sits in CBSA's system waiting for the airline to scan your passport and just give the "green light".

This is my personal conclusion.

I hope that helps
Hi,

I found your explanation very clear and helpful. However, as there are no comments below from others about whether they were allowed to board on a plane with only visa-exempt passport and CoPR (so without eTA), I'm still worried about my imminent departure for landing because I'm in the same situation (i.e. with only visa-exempt passport and CoPR) and don't know whether I should apply for an eTA. My concern is whether I will be allowed to board by the airline company without eTA.

Now it's been more than a year since your initial post, do you have more information or cases regarding this point? I have read in a similar discussion (url below) that somebody, failure to show eTA, had got trouble with the airline company. But actually few people in the same situation came back to give their post-landing feedback on whether they finally managed to board and land without eTA or they were forced to apply for an eTA.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-with-only-copr-eta-or-no-eta.550909/

If you have new information to share about this point, I would highly appreciate your help.

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I found your explanation very clear and helpful. However, as there are no comments below from others about whether they were allowed to board on a plane with only visa-exempt passport and CoPR (so without eTA), I'm still worried about my imminent departure for landing because I'm in the same situation (i.e. with only visa-exempt passport and CoPR) and don't know whether I should apply for an eTA. My concern is whether I will be allowed to board by the airline company without eTA.

Now it's been more than a year since your initial post, do you have more information or cases regarding this point? I have read in a similar discussion (url below) that somebody, failure to show eTA, had got trouble with the airline company. But actually few people in the same situation came back to give their post-landing feedback on whether they finally managed to board and land without eTA or they were forced to apply for an eTA.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-with-only-copr-eta-or-no-eta.550909/

If you have new information to share about this point, I would highly appreciate your help.

Thank you.