+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing with only COPR - eTA or no eTA?

amontella

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Hi guys, apologies if this thread has already been discussed, I couldn't find any updated information regarding my case. My wife and I just received COPR and planning to do our landing in July from the UK. As we are from a passport exempt country we'll only carry COPR and no visa on our passports. Now, I know CIC website states clearly that in our case no eTA is required but I read airlines can be a little funny if you travel with only your COPR and passport and it's probably safer to get eTA anyways to avoid potential problems like not being allowed on the flight. Has someone had recent experience landing to Canada to activate your PR from a visa exempt country? IF so, did you apply for an eTA just in case or was it enough to have a COPR like CIC's website is stating ? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance! A.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys, apologies if this thread has already been discussed, I couldn't find any updated information regarding my case. My wife and I just received COPR and planning to do our landing in July from the UK. As we are from a passport exempt country we'll only carry COPR and no visa on our passports. Now, I know CIC website states clearly that in our case no eTA is required but I read airlines can be a little funny if you travel with only your COPR and passport and it's probably safer to get eTA anyways to avoid potential problems like not being allowed on the flight. Has someone had recent experience landing to Canada to activate your PR from a visa exempt country? IF so, did you apply for an eTA just in case or was it enough to have a COPR like CIC's website is stating ? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance! A.
I had an awful experience as the airline wouldn't let me check-in with my COPR only. After taking their sweet time (about an hour and a half) they were finally convinced that I was landing to finish the PR process.

Apparently they get fined if the passenger is denied entry to the country and is forced to fly back.

Reactions: amontella

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Official answer here which assume you have seen but posted for other readers anyway

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

It is one of those decisions to make whether you rely on uniformed checkin staff or spend 7 dollars each for an ETA which just gets cancelled shortly after you land as PRs. That assumes of course given the official statement above that once a COPR has been issued whether they will even issue an ETA but I guess with an online application a decision comes in minutes or hours anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: amontella

amontella

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
I had an awful experience as the airline wouldn't let me check-in with my COPR only. After taking their sweet time (about an hour and a half) they were finally convinced that I was landing to finish the PR process.

Apparently they get fined if the passenger is denied entry to the country and is forced to fly back.
thanks a lot for your answer!

amontella

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Official answer here which assume you have seen but posted for other readers anyway

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

It is one of those decisions to make whether you rely on uniformed checkin staff or spend 7 dollars each for an ETA which just gets cancelled shortly after you land as PRs. That assumes of course given the official statement above that once a COPR has been issued whether they will even issue an ETA but I guess with an online application a decision comes in minutes or hours anyway.
1000 Thanks!

RFC

Jan 8, 2018
Hi Amontella. I’m in the exact same situation. May I ask what you ended up doing, and the outcome please? Thanks very much!

Shippo

Jan 12, 2019
Hi Amontella. I’m in the exact same situation. May I ask what you ended up doing, and the outcome please? Thanks very much!
Hi, I’m in the exact same situation. May I ask what you ended up doing, and the outcome please? I'm about to go for first landing. Thank you so much.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi, I’m in the exact same situation. May I ask what you ended up doing, and the outcome please? I'm about to go for first landing. Thank you so much.
The CoPR CLEARLY states "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL". The airline is very unlikely to accept it in lieu of a visa or eTA.
If you are from visa exempt country, you will need eTA to board a flight for Canada.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The CoPR CLEARLY states "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL". The airline is very unlikely to accept it in lieu of a visa or eTA.
If you are from visa exempt country, you will need eTA to board a flight for Canada.
The eTA is generated by IRCC for visa-exempt passport holders at the same time as they issue the COPR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That means that it cannot be used in place of a travel document, i.e. a passport.

An electronic authorization is issued with the COPR. People do not have to apply for an eTA separately.

Reactions: northern sunshine

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
That means that it cannot be used in place of a travel document, i.e. a passport.

An electronic authorization is issued with the COPR. People do not have to apply for an eTA separately.
Indeed!
Reviewing my post, I understand how one may misunderstand it as needing to apply for eTA seperately. Yes it's given with CoPR.
It's just that OP said that CIC website stated no eTA needed for his visa-exempt passport. The basis of my statement. One needs an eTA if visa-exempt country.

Shippo

Jan 12, 2019
Hi there,

I was concerned about this question a few days ago (see my post here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/problem-boarding-a-plane-with-copr-imm-5688-but-no-eta.540143/#post-7827359). Now I can say for sure that I successfully landed WITHOUT (applying for) an eTA to close this debate once and for all. The airline didn't bother checking whether I had an eTA or CoPR but just checked my visa-free passport to allow me to board. And CBSA just checked my passport and CoPR to allow me in at the airport of destination.

So once again as specified here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16), there's ABSOLUTELY no need to apply for an eTA to seek admission to Canada as a new PR if you are in possession of a valid CoPR. However, some airlines might be ignorant and trouble you if you don't show them eTA but CoPR instead, make sure to help them understand that you are 100% correct and within your rights to do so.

By the way, the immigration officer who granted me admission insisted that it would be necessary to have a PRTD to come back to Canada from now on if not in possession of a valid PR Card.

Hope this helps.

NJK90

May 11, 2019
Amsterdam
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-10-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
17-10-2018
Passport Req..
10-05-2019
Thans for this, I was just wondering what to do about this ETA/COPR thing!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for sharing the info. Glad you managed to board a plane without eTA, and congratulations on your new life!

However, I'd like to weigh in with some precision.

1/ The airline committed negligence in not checking whether you had eTA or not. It's good they took your word for it as you had your CoPR, but the check-in agent decided to give you some lenience based on that document alone. It wouldn't be "ignorant" of him as you say, if he insisted on eTA. And no, you wouldn't have been in your rights to insist that you don't need eTA. The rule is clear for all visa exempt countries. Another agent would have been in their full right to refuse you boarding without an eTA. Not to mention the CoPR clearly states, "Not Valid for Travel".

And of course the immigration officer on arrival won't check if you have eTA, as the eTA is only for the airline to make sure you're authorized to come to the border and seek entry into the country. If you make it to the border, the eTA has already served its purpose. The fact that the immigration officer didn't ask to see it doesn't mean you shouldn't apply for one to board an airline.

I wanted to say this so that your experience doesn't lead other people into thinking that an eTA is useless if from visa-exempt country. You ABSOLUTELY need an eTA if you're from visa exempt country. You in your experience, simple got away without one... Nuance.

Now, based on this post, some people will believe this experience to be the reference, and try to board an airline without an eTA, only to be refused boarding without any possibility of negotiation....
There was no negligence and the airline didn't take anyone's word. This person had an electronic authorization attached to their passport, issued by IRCC when they issued the COPR. Airline staff don't ask for proof of en eTA; they simply run the passport through the system and get either a "board" or "no board" response. The airline ran this person's passport and got a "board" response based on the authorization issued with the COPR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

I was concerned about this question a few days ago (see my post here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/problem-boarding-a-plane-with-copr-imm-5688-but-no-eta.540143/#post-7827359). Now I can say for sure that I successfully landed WITHOUT (applying for) an eTA to close this debate once and for all. The airline didn't bother checking whether I had an eTA or CoPR but just checked my visa-free passport to allow me to board. And CBSA just checked my passport and CoPR to allow me in at the airport of destination.

So once again as specified here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16), there's ABSOLUTELY no need to apply for an eTA to seek admission to Canada as a new PR if you are in possession of a valid CoPR. However, some airlines might be ignorant and trouble you if you don't show them eTA but CoPR instead, make sure to help them understand that you are 100% correct and within your rights to do so.

By the way, the immigration officer who granted me admission insisted that it would be necessary to have a PRTD to come back to Canada from now on if not in possession of a valid PR Card.

Hope this helps.
To be clear, yes, the airline DID check for an electronic authorization when they ran your passport through the system. You were issued this authorization when you were issued your COPR and that is why you were allowed to board.