+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with Visitor Visa--consent letter

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Hello, I am trying to help some friends (a married couple, both Canadian citizens) who are in the process of applying for a regular visitor visa (not a supervisa) for the wife's mother. We are not sure about something referenced in the online application (documents section) as 'letter of consent' and whether it is really needed along with all the other documentation already uploaded. A specific form number is not mentioned, but does anyone know if this means: IMM 5744 E : Consent for an Access to Information and Personal Information Request (canada.ca)? The husband (the visa applicant's son-in-law) has completed and added a Use of Representative form (IMM5476). Isn't that sufficient? We are having trouble understanding the distinction between these two forms and whether both are required. And to make it more complicated the IMM5744 Consent form insists that "only original handwritten signatures signed in blue ink will be accepted". How is that even possible when they want you to submit the application online? Please advise.

Also, more of a technical issue---in the Family Information form (IMM5645) the applicant has to list all their brothers and sisters. She has eight siblings, but there is only space for seven on the form. Unlike some immigration-related forms I've seen, you can't add spaces and It seems impossible to upload a second page without exceeding the 2 MB limit. Also trying to fit both the English and Arabic names (as requested on the form) into the spaces is proving to be a challenge.

Last edited:

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Above post from yesterday is edited slightly for clarity. Just giving it a bump in the hope that someone will see it and be able to help. Thanks!

ivan61

Dec 3, 2023
China
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Guangzhou
Above post from yesterday is edited slightly for clarity. Just giving it a bump in the hope that someone will see it and be able to help. Thanks!
[/引用]
I am very happy to see the flag of my country here.

Reactions: Yelsew

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, I am trying to help some friends (a married couple, both Canadian citizens) who are in the process of applying for a regular visitor visa (not a supervisa) for the wife's mother. We are not sure about something referenced in the online application (documents section) as 'letter of consent' and whether it is really needed along with all the other documentation already uploaded. A specific form number is not mentioned, but does anyone know if this means: IMM 5744 E : Consent for an Access to Information and Personal Information Request (canada.ca)? The husband (the visa applicant's son-in-law) has completed and added a Use of Representative form (IMM5476). Isn't that sufficient? We are having trouble understanding the distinction between these two forms and whether both are required. And to make it more complicated the IMM5744 Consent form insists that "only original handwritten signatures signed in blue ink will be accepted". How is that even possible when they want you to submit the application online? Please advise.

Also, more of a technical issue---in the Family Information form (IMM5645) the applicant has to list all their brothers and sisters. She has eight siblings, but there is only space for seven on the form. Unlike some immigration-related forms I've seen, you can't add spaces and It seems impossible to upload a second page without exceeding the 2 MB limit. Also trying to fit both the English and Arabic names (as requested on the form) into the spaces is proving to be a challenge.
Then consider to apply on paper. She can include the details of her eight siblings.

albloshi_sa

Jul 28, 2019
1. Apply through IRCC portal by Husband
2. Use "Use of Representative form (IMM5476)" and get it signed by his Mother in law
3. Write a explanation letter saying that she is coming to visit her daughter and she will get back to her country once done.
4. Attach as many ties as possible showing her ties back to home, such as, bank statements, property docs, businesses, family ties, social ties, etc
5. Once applied, she will need to submit her biometric at VFS
6. After biometric you have to wait for the decision.

If she have enough ties back home and officer is convienced, she will get a TRV.

Once in canada, make sure she dont overstay so she can come again as long as visa is valid.

All the best.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Then consider to apply on paper. She can include the details of her eight siblings.
We thought of that, but it's not an option in this case.

If you need a visitor visa to travel to Canada, you must apply online for one. Only online applications will be accepted and processed. However, you can apply on paper if:

• you can’t apply online because of a disability, or
  • you’re travelling with an identity or travel document that was issued to a refugee, a stateless person or a non-citizen.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We thought of that, but it's not an option in this case.

If you need a visitor visa to travel to Canada, you must apply online for one. Only online applications will be accepted and processed. However, you can apply on paper if:

• you can’t apply online because of a disability, or
  • you’re travelling with an identity or travel document that was issued to a refugee, a stateless person or a non-citizen.
Then she can include the eighth sibling in the above explanation letter.

T0pubo

Dec 11, 2021
St. John's/Montreal
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-11-2021
Doc's Request.
14-03-2022
AOR Received.
14-04-2022
Med's Done....
03-11-2021
Fill 2 Family Information forms listing all the siblings. Then print and merge both files together.

Alternatively, you could attach the second Family Information form as an extra document.

dovud_wkt

Jan 11, 2024

Hello!
So could you get any information about the Letter of Consent? Do you have to submit it as well or only Use of Representative is sufficient?

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Update on visitor visa application for my friend's mother-in-law (submitted Dec 2023):

The application was rejected, citing insufficient proof of ties to Syria. The family here are Canadian citizens and sent proof of their financial ability to support her during her entire visit and pay her air fare. She has lots of family still in Syria--several siblings and even her own elderly mother who still lives with her (and who is dependent on her--which was mentioned in the application as a way of showing she has responsibilites back home). But she is over 60 and retired, hence no employment income and limited funds in her own bank account (I'm not sure, but she may be getting a modest pension and I'm guessing the siblings help with support). My friend has asked if he could re-apply for the visa but I am hesitant to encourage him to do so unless his mother-in-law can come up with some stronger proof of her ties to Syria. I read somewhere that it's not a good idea for family in Canada to transfer funds to a relative overseas to put in their bank accounts to show sufficient resources, but perhaps someone could comment on that? I'm starting to think this is hopeless, and I'm sure being from a troubled country like Syria automatically factors into a visa officer's decision. The threshhold seems to be set very high as "ties" means not only having family/social relationships back home, but also having a substantial amount of her own money even though her Canadian family has proven they are capable of paying her expenses. But any suggestions would be appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Update on visitor visa application for my friend's mother-in-law (submitted Dec 2023):

The application was rejected, citing insufficient proof of ties to Syria. The family here are Canadian citizens and sent proof of their financial ability to support her during her entire visit and pay her air fare. She has lots of family still in Syria--several siblings and even her own elderly mother who still lives with her (and who is dependent on her--which was mentioned in the application as a way of showing she has responsibilites back home). But she is over 60 and retired, hence no employment income and limited funds in her own bank account (I'm not sure, but she may be getting a modest pension and I'm guessing the siblings help with support). My friend has asked if he could re-apply for the visa but I am hesitant to encourage him to do so unless his mother-in-law can come up with some stronger proof of her ties to Syria. I read somewhere that it's not a good idea for family in Canada to transfer funds to a relative overseas to put in their bank accounts to show sufficient resources, but perhaps someone could comment on that? I'm starting to think this is hopeless, and I'm sure being from a troubled country like Syria automatically factors into a visa officer's decision. The threshhold seems to be set very high as "ties" means not only having family/social relationships back home, but also having a substantial amount of her own money even though her Canadian family has proven they are capable of paying her expenses. But any suggestions would be appreciated.
Given family in Canada are citizens then what are her ties to return. Ties to return are spouse annd children. Are her children citizens? If children are citizens then should be looking at supervisa.

Was funds a reason for refusal? You just said reason was no ties to return. Cannot dump funds into accounts as it has to be documented where funds came from. IRCC doesn’t want to see that she is being fully funded for her visit because it means she cannot afford her visit to Canada. IRCC will be concerned she will not leave if family is fully funding her trip.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Given family in Canada are citizens then what are her ties to return. Ties to return are spouse annd children. Are her children citizens? If children are citizens then should be looking at supervisa.

Was funds a reason for refusal? You just said reason was no ties to return. Cannot dump funds into accounts as it has to be documented where funds came from. IRCC doesn’t want to see that she is being fully funded for her visit because it means she cannot afford her visit to Canada. IRCC will be concerned she will not leave if family is fully funding her trip.
Thank you Naturgrl. My friend, his wife and two kids are now Canadian citizens (they were previously privately-sponsored refugees and arrived in Canada with PR status). The wife is the only child of her mother in Syria (father is deceased). The visa applicant (ie, the mother in Syria) has lots of brothers and sisters in Syria, but as you pointed out, siblings generally don't meet IRCC's definition of "family". However the applicant's own mother who is in her 80s is still living in Syria (with the applicant, in fact) and this was mentioned in the application letter. I thought having an elderly parent in one's home country might show ties. Before considering re-applying, I am waiting for my friend to clarify whether the applicant has some sort of property deed for her house or anything else that might show she has some resources. Here is an excerpt from the rejection letter:​
I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada based on the following factors
  • Your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family members if applicable) Note: there are no 'accompanying family members'
  • You do not have significant family ties outside Canada
  • The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application (Note: Visiting her only daughter and seeing her grandchildren for the first time is not 'consistent' with a temporary stay? Aren't a large percentage of visitor visas precisely for this purpose, ie visiting family?)​
We hadn't really thought of the supervisa option but it is interesting that you suggested it. Doesn't the supervisa have even more rigorous criteria than a regular visitor visa, since it allows much longer visits? Would you recommend they try for this instead of re-applying for a regular TRV? Lastly, would it be worth requesting the GCMS notes? Thanks again!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you Naturgrl. My friend, his wife and two kids are now Canadian citizens (they were previously privately-sponsored refugees and arrived in Canada with PR status). The wife is the only child of her mother in Syria (father is deceased). The visa applicant (ie, the mother in Syria) has lots of brothers and sisters in Syria, but as you pointed out, siblings generally don't meet IRCC's definition of "family". However the applicant's own mother who is in her 80s is still living in Syria (with the applicant, in fact) and this was mentioned in the application letter. I thought having an elderly parent in one's home country might show ties. Before considering re-applying, I am waiting for my friend to clarify whether the applicant has some sort of property deed for her house or anything else that might show she has some resources. Here is an excerpt from the rejection letter:​
I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada based on the following factors
  • Your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family members if applicable) Note: there are no 'accompanying family members'
  • You do not have significant family ties outside Canada
  • The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application (Note: Visiting her only daughter and seeing her grandchildren for the first time is not 'consistent' with a temporary stay? Aren't a large percentage of visitor visas precisely for this purpose, ie visiting family?)​
We hadn't really thought of the supervisa option but it is interesting that you suggested it. Doesn't the supervisa have even more rigorous criteria than a regular visitor visa, since it allows much longer visits? Would you recommend they try for this instead of re-applying for a regular TRV? Lastly, would it be worth requesting the GCMS notes? Thanks again!
Order GCMS notes. If the family meets LICO then supervisa is an option. She will have to pass a medical and purchase a year of health insurance. One issue may be is that they were privately sponsored refugees so IRCC may think that she will claim asylum upon entry. How long was visit? Funds should support the length of visit.