+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help with moving our belongings from mexico to BC

shawn michelle

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
hello!

well, that was crazy. we have completed our 2 week self-quarantine after arriving 1.5 months ahead of schedule. we had all of our belongings packed and ready to go with (what we thought was) all the requisite paperwork and the moving truck hired to take our shipment to the airport on the day we had our shipment scheduled (which, under the circumstances, was the day before we flew out). when we arrived at the airport we were told that nobody had advised them that there was a shipment and the customs paperwork was not in order (apparently the airline failed to notify their local office, but I have received conflicting information on this). in addition, customs only works monday through friday and this was saturday. there was no way around it, we had to take all of our belongings back home (an additional $100 usd) and unload it into our rented house. our landlord was very kind and understanding and allowed us to leave our belongings behind, to be collected later. now I am trying to put a pan into place. as much as is possible, to have our belongings sent to us (which has already been preliminarily cleared by canadian customs) as soon as flights start opening up for commercial purposes. question is/questions are:

1) does anyone have a referral for someone (trustworthy, reliable, fair price point) who can facilitate this on the mexican side (cancun/playa del carmen area) in terms of aduana/customs paperwork? our belongings are all packed, labeled, and I have a list of the contents of each crate/box/bag as well as the paperwork for the canadian side. nothing is new, everything is personal/household belongings. as I would guess most folks do, we only intended to bring the most necessary, sentimental, (relatively, for us anyway) expensive, irreplaceable things with us, which are the exact things one would never want to leave behind, and which would require the most dependability in terms of handlers.

2) any idea of a (basic) price range? the airline estimated 1000kg when I provided number of articles and sizes of each. exact weight/measurements were to be taken at the airport but we never got that far. a friend went from chicago to mexico (yucatan) 5 years ago, brought all their furniture and used a whole container and it was 11,000 usd. another friend, from canada to mexico (also yucatan) included all his furniture and his vehicle and it was 7,000 USD (although that was maybe 10 years ago) for an entire container. i'm estimating maybe a 1/4 container would more than enough space to fit our belongings as it all fit into the mexican equivalent of a small u-haul.

i'm quite anxious about this and would like at least to be in contact with someone in whom I can place my trust and faith. I have spoken to a few, from just basic searches, but because I am pretty unfamiliar with the process it is very overwhelming. one person asked me for my PR card for mexico, a copy of my lease, a list of the belongings and a photograph of the outside of the house. that last bit didn’t make sense to me and when I asked why they'd need an address and photograph right off the bat, before anything else at all, I received no answer. my husband will fly back if necessary but I do have several trusted friends that could facilitate the transfer of our goods to the airport from our house, I just need the official paperwork side of things absolutely sorted and done before I put that into place and in motion. also, I understand we need to wait until things begin to reopen and move normally again. our region of mexico is only now beginning to seriously lock things down and it may take longer for them to get up and about again, but I certainly hope not, for the people primarily, but also for my belongings. our move, like many here I assume, has been planned for a year and a half and that the current global crisis has overlapped it has absolutely made things more complicated. I just want it over already, so we can focus on getting our new life in order as best we can, and this is the last bit to be sorted in terms of the actual/physical move.

thanks in advance for any help.

shawn