+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help With Completing Spousal Form

LostinSpace

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
So I'm working on completing the spousal sponsorship application with my wife who is from the US and I have a few questions that we're not sure of how to answer on the forms.

First off, we're going to be applying as Outland, even though we live together in Canada right now. She goes back and forth to the US every 2 or 3 months, so it's never an issue from a temp Visa perspective. Reason we are applying for Outland is because she wants to go back and forth to visit her family and friends, which totally makes sense, and I know if we apply for Inland, she may not be able to leave during the process.

Now I'm not sure how to respond to our living situation. Do I say Yes we're living together, even though she's here on a visitor Visa and she goes back to her home in the US every 2-3 months? Or do I say No we don't and explain that when she's here in Canada we do live together? I'm not really sure how to respond to this question, it almost sounds like a trick question to me to be honest and to me sounds like if we say Yes, it's considered an Inland application.

Next, I can't recall my oldest job's salary (within the 5 years), so what the heck am I supposed to put down?
Also, I have no way of knowing the number of guests for one of the events related to our wedding (Church ceremony); what am I supposed to put down here, just a best guess?

I may have more questions, as we're close to completing the forms...

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
So I'm working on completing the spousal sponsorship application with my wife who is from the US and I have a few questions that we're not sure of how to answer on the forms.

First off, we're going to be applying as Outland, even though we live together in Canada right now. She goes back and forth to the US every 2 or 3 months, so it's never an issue from a temp Visa perspective. Reason we are applying for Outland is because she wants to go back and forth to visit her family and friends, which totally makes sense, and I know if we apply for Inland, she may not be able to leave during the process.

Now I'm not sure how to respond to our living situation. Do I say Yes we're living together, even though she's here on a visitor Visa and she goes back to her home in the US every 2-3 months? Or do I say No we don't and explain that when she's here in Canada we do live together? I'm not really sure how to respond to this question, it almost sounds like a trick question to me to be honest and to me sounds like if we say Yes, it's considered an Inland application.

Next, I can't recall my oldest job's salary (within the 5 years), so what the heck am I supposed to put down?
Also, I have no way of knowing the number of guests for one of the events related to our wedding (Church ceremony); what am I supposed to put down here, just a best guess?

I may have more questions, as we're close to completing the forms...

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

1. How long is she going back to the US in between? Just a week or two? Does she consider her primary residence to be with you or back in the US?

2. Take a look at your CRA account online. It should have notices of assessment going back that far - you can use that to figure out your salary.

3. Just an estimate.

LostinSpace

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
1. How long is she going back to the US in between? Just a week or two? Does she consider her primary residence to be with you or back in the US?

2. Take a look at your CRA account online. It should have notices of assessment going back that far - you can use that to figure out your salary.

3. Just an estimate.
Sorry for the delayed response to your questions and thanks for your responses.

It varies, but yes, usually a few weeks at a time in the US and then majority of the time with me here in Canada.
Thanks, forgot I could check the CRA for that pertinent info.

Based on your response to #1, I now have a new question, for form 1344, the question is "The principal applicant is your" and options are "Spouse living in Canada" or "Spouse living outside Canada". How would I go about answering this question to process it as an Outland application? We still consider her US residence as her primary place until her PR is approved and she can live with me without having to worry about her being a temporary resident.

Also looking at form IMM0008, current country of residence is again US or Canada? Can she be a resident of Canada if she's just here on her visitor Visa?

I'm going to be honest, I'm still confused by all this...

Thanks again.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sorry for the delayed response to your questions and thanks for your responses.

It varies, but yes, usually a few weeks at a time in the US and then majority of the time with me here in Canada.
Thanks, forgot I could check the CRA for that pertinent info.

Based on your response to #1, I now have a new question, for form 1344, the question is "The principal applicant is your" and options are "Spouse living in Canada" or "Spouse living outside Canada". How would I go about answering this question to process it as an Outland application? We still consider her US residence as her primary place until her PR is approved and she can live with me without having to worry about her being a temporary resident.

Also looking at form IMM0008, current country of residence is again US or Canada? Can she be a resident of Canada if she's just here on her visitor Visa?

I'm going to be honest, I'm still confused by all this...

Thanks again.
Her country of residence is Canada. The choice between inland and outland is made on the checklist, part 5 - Class of Application.

LostinSpace

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
Thanks again... so on IMM0008, since I've now selected Canada as her current residence, the From would be her initial entry to Canada when she moved or her latest entry? We've gone back to the US several times this year for wedding festivities. Guessing it's the first, but the issue here now is the To date, I can't leave it blank, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to enter here.

Also, is Form 5406 required if she has no dependants and none of her family (parents, siblings) plan on coming to Canada?

On Form 5532, we live together now, but during our long distance relationship we visited each other many, many times. Should I be including this information in the form? I also have saved all the emails of the confirmed bookings for flights, etc.

Form 5533, it asks for a copy of her temporary resident permit if she's living in Canada; not sure how that applies to a US citizen, so appreciate some guidance here (is this required for a US citizen)?

Thanks.

Last edited:

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Thanks again... so on IMM0008, since I've now selected Canada as her current residence, the From would be her initial entry to Canada when she moved or her latest entry? We've gone back to the US several times this year for wedding festivities. Guessing it's the first, but the issue here now is the To date, I can't leave it blank, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to enter here.

Also, is Form 5406 required if she has no dependants and none of her family (parents, siblings) plan on coming to Canada?

On Form 5532, we live together now, but during our long distance relationship we visited each other many, many times. Should I be including this information in the form? I also have saved all the emails of the confirmed bookings for flights, etc.

Form 5533, it asks for a copy of her temporary resident permit if she's living in Canada; not sure how that applies to a US citizen, so appreciate some guidance here (is this required for a US citizen)?

Thanks.
From would be from when she effectively moved and to would be the date on which her current visitor status expires.

Second question:

Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
Who needs to fill out this application form?
This form must be completed by:

• You, as the principal applicant,
  • Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
  • Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).
Always read the guide. You must fill out this form as it provides the applicant's general family information, regardless of anyone accompanying her or not. The one that she doesn't have to fill out is the dependent information form as she has no dependents.

For form 5532 (just a tip: it's nice to include the actual name of the form in your questions, as well as quote the actual question if possible), I'm guessing you mean all those questions where you have to say if you're living together and if not, to write about your trips and all that. As you're saying you live together, then you ignore the questions that are for people that don't live together, regardless of the fact that you potentially have a lot you could put there. It doesn't apply to you (remember to still write N/A in all the places you're leaving blank on all the forms). You can write more about your relationship, visits, and all that in your cover letter.

For visa exempt applicants, the "visitor permit" is the last entry stamp in the passport (as this is the date from which the 6 month visitor status is counted).

LostinSpace

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
From would be from when she effectively moved and to would be the date on which her current visitor status expires.

Second question:

Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
Who needs to fill out this application form?
This form must be completed by:

• You, as the principal applicant,
  • Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
  • Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).
Always read the guide. You must fill out this form as it provides the applicant's general family information, regardless of anyone accompanying her or not. The one that she doesn't have to fill out is the dependent information form as she has no dependents.

For form 5532 (just a tip: it's nice to include the actual name of the form in your questions, as well as quote the actual question if possible), I'm guessing you mean all those questions where you have to say if you're living together and if not, to write about your trips and all that. As you're saying you live together, then you ignore the questions that are for people that don't live together, regardless of the fact that you potentially have a lot you could put there. It doesn't apply to you (remember to still write N/A in all the places you're leaving blank on all the forms). You can write more about your relationship, visits, and all that in your cover letter.

For visa exempt applicants, the "visitor permit" is the last entry stamp in the passport (as this is the date from which the 6 month visitor status is counted).
Thanks and will do going forward on quoting the question.
I did read the guide, but wasn't 100% sure this still applies, but ok, I guess we need to fill this out.

Regarding the cover letter, is this listed anywhere, not that I wasn't going to include one, but what are the general guidelines on what to include in the cover letter?

There is no stamp in her passport from her entries here, doesn't seem as though Canadian border/customs is stamping US passports. I know when our last entry in to Canada was so it's easy to determine 6 months from then, but what do I include for the temporary resident permit in this case?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I did read the guide, but wasn't 100% sure this still applies, but ok, I guess we need to fill this out.

Regarding the cover letter, is this listed anywhere, not that I wasn't going to include one, but what are the general guidelines on what to include in the cover letter?

There is no stamp in her passport from her entries here, doesn't seem as though Canadian border/customs is stamping US passports. I know when our last entry in to Canada was so it's easy to determine 6 months from then, but what do I include for the temporary resident permit in this case?
Additional Family Information is among the forms that everyone must complete, as the instructions say, regardless of family members accompanying or not so definitely don't leave it out.

I'm sure there's probably threads on it around the forum. Sometimes the sponsor and applicant each write one, sometimes just one of them, sometimes they write one together, etc. In our case, we went from that question in the relationship proof form that asks if there's anything else you'd like to add to support your relationship. We just started writing there and finished on a separate sheet of paper. Our friends, for example, didn't write anything there, just left an instruction to refer to the cover letter. The technicalities don't really matter as long as everything is explained and clear enough.

As for the content, it's mostly just an overview of the relationship. You start with when you met and go from there all the way to getting married or what have you. This is where you explain your trips and visits, meeting each other's families and friends, anything and everything. Like a chronological preview of the relationship. Some people also talk a bit more emotionally (we didn't at all, only realized later that we gave a sort of a serious overview and that was it lol) and talk about their plans and dreams for the future, etc. There isn't really some set template. I'm sure you'll find some examples if you look around the forum.

I'm not sure about your last question. I know people can request visitor records in these situations, but you'd have to do that when you're actually there at the border. You're gonna have to wait for someone else to chime in, I'm sure you're not the only one with the issue.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

There is no need for a cover letter. Just follow the checklist.

Include a letter stating she did not receive a stamp when she entered. It's not an issue.

LostinSpace

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
Thank you both for the feedback and thanks @canuck_in_uk for clarifying that the lack of a stamp isn't an issue. I was hoping we wouldn't need to delay submission of the application for another re-entry which won't be until after the holidays.

LostinSpace

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
So, got another question. Looking at supporting documents that we live together and what forms of docs are approved.
I've got the below and thinking they should all be accepted, but hoping others with experience in this can confirm since getting a hold of the IRCC on the phone is nearly impossible.

I have the following supporting docs:

1) Internet bill with both our names on it
2) Joint Bank Account statements with both names on it
3) Credit Card statements where my wife is an Authorized User - Couldn't get her on my card as a co-signee since she's not a PR here yet according to my bank, so I gave her an authorized card instead with her name on it
4) Vehicle Insurance with both our names on the insurance card (photocopy ok?)
5) Printable medical insurance card (from my work) with my name and hers on it

I know #1, #2 and #4 are definitely good; I'm not 100% sure about #3 since it's not explicitly mentioned as one of the options, and neither is #5.

Also does anyone else find it weird that the government is going to see your credit card spending, account numbers for insurance, etc?

Again, I appreciate guidance from folks that have gone through this already.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
So, got another question. Looking at supporting documents that we live together and what forms of docs are approved.
I've got the below and thinking they should all be accepted, but hoping others with experience in this can confirm since getting a hold of the IRCC on the phone is nearly impossible.

3) Credit Card statements where my wife is an Authorized User - Couldn't get her on my card as a co-signee since she's not a PR here yet according to my bank, so I gave her an authorized card instead with her name on it

I know #1, #2 and #4 are definitely good; I'm not 100% sure about #3 since it's not explicitly mentioned as one of the options, and neither is #5.

Also does anyone else find it weird that the government is going to see your credit card spending, account numbers for insurance, etc?

Those are all good and we also sent all of those as well. Even if for some reason something was seen as not enough of a proof, there's really no harm in sending it (as long as you're not sending huge amounts of unnecessary stuff, of course). They will figure out what they need, no need to worry about that.

Reactions: LostinSpace

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Don't ever call the IRCC Call Centre for advice. You are more liable to get wrong information.

The checklist provides examples. It doesn't mean that everything you send needs to be explicitly listed. Those proofs are fine. Make sure the first 3 cover at least one year.

If you think that is a lot of info to provide the government, don't ever get audited.

LostinSpace

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
Don't ever call the IRCC Call Centre for advice. You are more liable to get wrong information.

The checklist provides examples. It doesn't mean that everything you send needs to be explicitly listed. Those proofs are fine. Make sure the first 3 cover at least one year.

If you think that is a lot of info to provide the government, don't ever get audited.
What do you mean they cover at least a year? We haven't lived together for a year yet and the joint account was opened after our wedding so it's only been a few months there. She's been an authorized user of my card for longer than that though (almost since she moved here). For the internet account I honestly had no idea that was enough as proof, so I just added her to the account recently (I've only had it for approx 7 months at our address). I was thinking of including including the following statements:

1) Credit Card from 5-6 months ago
2) Joint account statement from when we opened it 3-4 months ago
3) Latest internet bill

Plus 4 (photocopy) and 5 from above.

Any of this going to be an issue?

Thanks.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
What do you mean they cover at least a year? We haven't lived together for a year yet and the joint account was opened after our wedding so it's only been a few months there. She's been an authorized user of my card for longer than that though (almost since she moved here). For the internet account I honestly had no idea that was enough as proof, so I just added her to the account recently (I've only had it for approx 7 months at our address). Is any of this going to be a problem? I was thinking of including including the following statements:

1) Credit Card from 5-6 months ago
2) Joint account statement from when we opened it 3-4 months ago
3) Latest internet bill

Plus 4 (photocopy) and 5 from above.

Any of this going to be an issue?

Thanks.
I think @canuck_in_uk probably thought you were common law, as they need to prove cohabitation during at least 12 months. You're married so it doesn't apply to you.

For these two things, where they ask you to show proof of common address and proof that you combined your affairs, you really can't go wrong. The few things they list are a guideline and stuff that is expected that you'd have (at least some of it), but you can really think outside the box and add your spouse to wherever and put it in as proof.

Healthcare, insurance policies, utilities, family phone plans, joint bank accounts or authorized users, letters from landlords, heck we wanted to get a Costco family card but I couldn't get one as a visitor, lol. Really, you don't have to worry at all.

As for the statements and all that, we sent in the last few and the same for the utilities, I think. We just wanted to show that I had been on it for a few months at that point already. But it shouldn't make much difference either way.