+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Website says I'm not eligible for express entry!

May 4, 2016
Hello everyone,

I desperately need help with my application for express entry.
I have applied for express entry three times in the last few months, and each time the website says I am 'not eligible' to apply.
Before I even applied, I went over my points over and over again to make sure I had enough to apply which is why I was left speechless each time I didn't even get through to the 'invitation to apply' step.
I also went through the 'determine your eligibility' steps on the Canada immigration website and every single time the system said 'it appears you may eligible to apply'. Now, I know that this isn't a guarantee but it seems strange to me that the system says I may be eligible and once I apply for real it states I am not eligible.

So here are my points:

My overall IELTS score is 21.
I am 28 years old which scores 12 points.
I have had my foreign education assessed by IQAS which adds up to 21 points.
I have worked for a year in my NOC category which gives me 9 points.
Furthermore, I have lived and studied in Canada years ago when I was in high school which gives me another 5 points.
My overall score is 68 which is 1 point higher than the minimum criteria for entering the express entry pool.

After my latest attempt to apply, I wrote to the only email address in my country (Italy) present on the Canadian immigration website which was the Canadian Embassy in Rome. They replied saying I only got 45 points with my application stating 'they don't deal with the public' and that they system is automated and that if I think there was a mistake I should submit my profile again.

My question is: did I count my points wrongly? Am I missing something?
I know that having a job offer gives you a lot more points but I haven't had any luck in that respect.
The most frustrating aspect of all this is that I don't know who to turn to for help.
My only other option is applying for the International Experience in Canada which would allow me to go there for a year (and being allowed to work for only 6 months) but which would also mean that once that time is up, I can't apply for IEC every again. Although while there, I may try to get a permanent job offer from a Canadian company which could help get me more points for my express entry.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all in advance.
Cristina

IcedCoffee

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
It would be more helpful if you gave your IELTS results (each band score), your Canadian equivalency degree (master) and your NOC.
So far it is impossible to say whether you calculated your scores correctly, because the only useful information is your age.

Also, try to use EE official calculator to determine your CRS score http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

May 4, 2016
Thanks for your reply.
My NOC category is 5131: Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations. I am a film editor which falls under this category.
My CBL level is 7.
For the IELTS exam my scores are:
9 for listening: 6 points
7.5 for reading:6 points
8 for writing: 6 points
9 for speaking: 6 points

I have just rechecked these points and actually instead of 21 points, I have 24 so this helps my case further.

My Canadian equivalency degree is that of a four year Bachelor of Arts degree which counts as 21 points from the Federal Skilled Workers program.

I used the EE official calculator and my CRS score is 413 (although I never received an ITA so I don't know if this score is accurate).
I don't know if any of this information helps.

IcedCoffee

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
cristina.milovan said:
Thanks for your reply.
My NOC category is 5131: Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations. I am a film editor which falls under this category.
My CBL level is 7.

I have just rechecked these points and actually instead of 21 points, I have 24 so this helps my case further.

My Canadian equivalency degree is that of a four year Bachelor of Arts degree which counts as 21 points from the Federal Skilled Workers program.

I used the EE official calculator and my CRS score is 413 (although I never received an ITA so I don't know if this score is accurate).
You actually have CLB 10 language level.
And from what I can see your FSW score is 66:
Language 24
Education 21
Work experience 9
Age 12
Adaptability 0
Total 66

Adaptability: you studied at a high school, their requirements are:
Your past study in Canada
You finished at least two academic years of full-time study (in a program at least two years long) at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada.

Full-time study means at least 15 hours of classes per week, and you must have stayed in good academic standing (as set out by the school) during that time.
Which means you should have studied in a college or university for at least two years and should have received a degree or diploma.

Please, correct me if I got you wrong.

P.S. CRS 413 is not enough to receive an ITA. The lowest score ever was 450 and it is not likely to drop even to this level soon. You should consider some provincial programs.

bestofluck

VIP Member
Aug 11, 2015
LANDED..........
10th June 2017
cristina.milovan said:
Thanks for your reply.
My CBL level is 7.

CLB7 dont match with your scores !

ellia

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-10-2015
AOR Received.
22-11-2015
Med's Done....
23-11-2015
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
Like IcedCoffee said, your FSW score seems to be 66, just one point short of the requirement, unfortunately.
A possible solution could be to just wait one more year: you won't loose any points for age yet, but you'll get 2 additional points for foreign work experience, and that'll give you 68 FSW points.
Your CRS score will be 413 still, if I'm not mistaken, and you'll most likely have to go the PNP route, so it'll be about 2 years from today to PPR, if processing times stay more or less the same.

Have you considered doing a Masters in Ontario, instead of the IEC? That would boost your FSW and CRS scores, and would be good for Ontario PNP, should you need it. It'll take a year or two, but you'll have the advantage of being in the country, already building your life in Canada.

May 4, 2016
Apologies, I didn't express myself very well regarding the CBL level.
I wanted to say that according to the website, the minimum CBL level needed in order to apply is 7 and I, of course, more than passed that level.

As for my past studies in Canada, I was under the impression that secondary school meant high school, thanks for clearing that up.
So secondary school means college or university and post-secondary a masters degree?

So as it stands, I am missing one point to apply for express entry but that still doesn't explain how the system awarded me only 47 points.

I shall have to consider the province programs although from the ones I've looked at already, they require you to already have a job offer from a company in that province (this is even more confusing to me, if I had a job offer I would have enough points to apply and wouldn't need to apply for a province program).

Ellia, thanks for your answer. It is something I've considered but I don't think I would have the financial resources to do a masters degree. One of the reasons I would like to move to Canada is because the situation in Italy work-wise is quite dire and I only have the minimum amount needed to immigrate (as stated on the immigration website). I definitely have to look into this though and find out more, it could be a way of getting in the country but it would feel like a step backwards as I have been working as an editor for many years now (unfortunately, only one year under contract).

I'm thinking at this point that the IEC is my best bet for now. It might give me a chance to find work for a few months and maybe get a job offer but you all have given me some useful information.
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

IcedCoffee

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
cristina.milovan said:
As for my past studies in Canada, I was under the impression that secondary school meant high school, thanks for clearing that up.
So secondary school means college or university and post-secondary a masters degree?

So as it stands, I am missing one point to apply for express entry but that still doesn't explain how the system awarded me only 47 points.

I shall have to consider the province programs although from the ones I've looked at already, they require you to already have a job offer from a company in that province (this is even more confusing to me, if I had a job offer I would have enough points to apply and wouldn't need to apply for a province program).

Ellia, thanks for your answer. It is something I've considered but I don't think I would have the financial resources to do a masters degree. One of the reasons I would like to move to Canada is because the situation in Italy work-wise is quite dire and I only have the minimum amount needed to immigrate (as stated on the immigration website). I definitely have to look into this though and find out more, it could be a way of getting in the country but it would feel like a step backwards as I have been working as an editor for many years now (unfortunately, only one year under contract).

I'm thinking at this point that the IEC is my best bet for now. It might give me a chance to find work for a few months and maybe get a job offer but you all have given me some useful information.
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.
I am not an expert in provincial programs, but Saskatchewan, for instance, does not require a job offer. They might have some occupation restrictions though. No one would go under PNP if they had a job offer - this just doesn't make sense. So try to get more information about PNPs.
Your other options are:
- study in Canada (or get Master degree somewhere else - it will increase your CRS score as well)
- get one more year of work experience
- get married ;D and make your husband pass IELTS (CLB 4 level is required)

Probably IEC could be an option too, especially if there are difficulties with jobs in Italy. I guess this work experience should qualify for FSW.

ellia

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-10-2015
AOR Received.
22-11-2015
Med's Done....
23-11-2015
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
Huh, wait, guys, look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_school#Canada
I realize Wikipedia is not the most trusted source, but it can't be that wrong, can it?
If "secondary" is, indeed, high school, you might get those additional 5 FSW points for adaptability after all.
How long have you been studying there? Do you have the documents?

Moreover, you said you worked many years, but only one year under contract - but you do have the experience then, maybe there is still some way to use it? I'm not sure how that can possibly be done, especially in a profession so far from my own, but maybe people on this forum will be able to recommend something.

And also, don't write off a Master's in Ontario (or another province) completely, at this level of education, there are grants and fellowships that would cover your entire tuition. I realize the competition would be very, very strong, but it's at least theoretically possible, which is not the case with, for example, Bach. level programs, afaik. I wouldn't write off anything as long as there is a slightest chance left.

May 4, 2016
Thanks IcedCoffee,
I'll definitely have to look into all the provincial programs and how they work.
You have given me some useful info, I hope to be able to get into Canada one way or another.
Or I can always get married and try that way :D

Ellia, so it seems that secondary does mean high school!
I did half of year 9 and years 10 and 11 at a high school in Ottawa so 2 years and a half in total.
I have my report cards and I can always write to my old high school to see if I need other proper documentation.
If this is indeed true and secondary means high school, that would bring my score to 71, so definitely over the minimum requirement.
I will try and find out if indeed this is the case as on the website it doesn't specify what secondary school is.

ellia

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-10-2015
AOR Received.
22-11-2015
Med's Done....
23-11-2015
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
One way to try and clarify this could be checking out your high school's website, maybe there is some official documentation there that would state the level of education they're working at, or something.

If this is correct though, we come back to the question of why you can't submit your profile to the EE pool.
So you go through the Come to Canada tool, and it says "you might be eligible" and gives you a code for your application, right? And when you enter that code when creating your EE profile, the system says you're ineligible?

May 4, 2016
Yes, it says I may be eligible, I use that code when creating my EE profile.
I then submit my application and I get a message saying 'criteria not met'.
This is why this has been so frustrating for me, through the website I don't know the points I have or what I'm missing.
Unfortunately since the system is automated, there seems to be no way to talk to a 'physical person' about my case.

This is the automatic message they have sent me which doesn't really help:

You are not eligible for Express Entry
To qualify for Express Entry, you must meet the minimum eligibility criteria for the Federal Skilled Worker
Program, and/or the Federal Skilled Trades Program and/or the Canadian Experience Class. Based on your
profile, you do not meet the minimum eligibility criteria for any of these programs. Reasons you would not be
eligible for Express Entry include:
• not having a valid language test
• language test results that are more than two years old
• a language test score that is too low
• not having enough relevant work experience
• not having the required education level
• not having enough funds

I don't know what to do at this point, I have taken the IELTS test in December and have passed with very good grades, I have at least one year relevant work experience, I have the equivalent of a three year degree and I have the minimum funds required ($12,164 for one person). Of course, there may be other reason as to why I am not eligible but I can't think of any.

IcedCoffee

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
cristina.milovan said:
I don't know what to do at this point, I have taken the IELTS test in December and have passed with very good grades, I have at least one year relevant work experience, I have the equivalent of a three year degree and I have the minimum funds required ($12,164 for one person). Of course, there may be other reason as to why I am not eligible but I can't think of any.
Indeed, secondary education is a high school in Canada. I apologize for misleading information :( In my defense - I did read this in Wikipedia. Thanks Ellia for correcting me.

Suggestion about possible issue with eligibility: did you take General training IELTS or Academic? Only General training is accepted.

ellia

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-10-2015
AOR Received.
22-11-2015
Med's Done....
23-11-2015
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
Yeah, that is a generic message, not really informative.
You do seem to qualify, the only reason left I can think of is some stupid technical mistake.

Maybe try it this way: give yourself a couple days to rest and try to not think about this at all. Then when you're hopefully able to look at your documents with fresh eyes, try creating a new EE profile in a new browser, don't use the one you used before. It might be overkill, but we never know.
Then don't use the code that the Come to Canada tool gave you, and enter all your info manually from scratch.
If you have a compilation of all your relevant data in a notebook or in a Word document somewhere - don't use that. Fill everything in from scratch, read everything carefully, as if you're seeing the questions for the first time.

There might be something small, like answering "No" instead of "Yes" in a single little question that makes your entire profile ineligible.

Maybe you have done this before, since you've tried a few times already, but just try once again, after all, there's nothing else you can do :)
And hang in there, you'll make it in the end, like all of us, even if there are a few bumps along the road :)

ellia

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-10-2015
AOR Received.
22-11-2015
Med's Done....
23-11-2015
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
IcedCoffee said:
Indeed, secondary education is a high school in Canada. I apologize for misleading information :( In my defense - I did read this in Wikipedia. Thanks Ellia for correcting me.

Suggestion about possible issue with eligibility: did you take General training IELTS or Academic? Only General training is accepted.
Oh, that's a good suggestion! That's exactly one of those elusive things that's easy to miss and hard to catch afterwards but renders the entire application ineligible!