+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Restoration of status

Beauty$$$

Feb 21, 2020
Hi everyone,
Did anyone get refusal for their study permit restoration?
I applied online to restore my status as a student and PGWP at the same time. But I do not know why they refused my student restoration, although I did include a letter explaining my situation. I paid $150 for study extension, $200 for restoration + $155 work permit + $100 open work permit..
Does anyone know why?
Please share. Thank you.

Ris411

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
Hi everyone,
I applied online to restore my status as a student and PGWP at the same time. But I do not know why they refused my student restoration, although I did include a letter explaining my situation. I paid $150 for study extension, $200 for restoration + $155 work permit + $100 open work permit..
Does anyone know why?
Please share. Thank you.
Hey If you have completed your study you should have applied for restoration of status as a worker not as a student.I think that must me the reason of your refusal.

Beauty$$$

Feb 21, 2020
Hey If you have completed your study you should have applied for restoration of status as a worker not as a student.I think that must me the reason of your refusal.
Hi,
I already passed the timeline to submit anything. But, I am still waiting for my PGWP.
Is there anything that I can do to fix this, since my PGWP is still in progress?
Please share. Thank you.

Ris411

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
Heyyy I don’t think so that they will approve your pgwp.Because you don’t have any status in Canada now.You have to get a status first.I recommend you to go on border to do the restoration thing.

Beauty$$$

Feb 21, 2020
Heyyy I don’t think so that they will approve your pgwp.Because you don’t have any status in Canada now.You have to get a status first.I recommend you to go on border to do the restoration thing.
Hi,
I already passed the 180 days. Do you think I can still restore my status?
Can you clarify what you meant by go on border for the restoration?
Thank you. Please share.

VeenuInternational

Sep 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know why?
Please share. Thank you.
what did they say in in refusal letter. I am in same situation

Aria020711

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
Finally, it's my time to share my timeline! Today my consultant sent me the approval letter for my PGWP + Restoration.

June 10th, 2019: 1st PGWP Application after my convocation on June 6th.The date of my letter of completion is late May.

June 21st, 2019: I started working while waiting for my PGWP to be approved.

September 30th, 2019: My study permit expiry date.

October 10th, 2019: I received an email from IRCC and saw a refusal letter. I had not expected any of this as I thought I had done everything right and checked my online portal every other day. To my surprise, I found out that I uploaded my digital photo twice and no proof of degree completion was attached. In the letter, it says my temporary resident status expired on October 9th, 2019.

The next day, I called IRCC at 8 am right when they opened the line. After speaking with an agent, I learned that my solution should be applying for restoration of status as a worker and PGWP at the same time. Unfortunately, I had to quit my work. I contacted an immigration consultant right away and their advice was also to restore as a worker and PGWP application at the same time.

October 24th, 2019: We submitted the application. It was still within the 180 days timeframe according to the new policy implemented last year.

January 24th, 2020: Because I routinely read the threads on this site about restoration and PGWP. I started to panic because I saw people applied after I did got their PGWP approved. I called the IRCC hotline again at 8 o'clock in the morning and got told by the agent they already sent a notice to my consultant that I should apply to restore my status as a student in order to get PGWP and I needed to pay the extra $150 study extension fee for them to process my file. Soon after, I confirmed this with my consultant. This was unexpected to them as much as it was to me. But thanks to this site, I knew that few people before me got the same problem and I predicted it would probably happen to me too. So we paid the fee and uploaded the receipt.

January 28th, 2020: I got an email from my consultant, which says my application got approved and my status is valid until January 27th, 2023. Finally, after seven months, I got my 3-year PGWP approved.

These were definitely some of the most intense and anxious months I have been through. Canada's cold weather definitely was not helping LOL. The conflicting information I have received is also making me exhausted. Even IRCC has different answers three months apart. Nonetheless, I hope everybody else gets their applications approved as soon as possible!

To anybody who is going to apply PGWP by themselves: Make sure to check twice, thrice, even four times before hitting the submit button. Don't make the same stupid mistake as I did! I know the joy after graduation is enormous and you are eager to travel or job hunt. BUT PLEASE TAKE YOUR APPLICATION SERIOUSLY! It is easy but it will cost you money and energy if you overlook one single mistake.

To all the friends who got their PGWP application refused or have to go through the restoration process, please don't lose hope, seek professional help right away! Also, keep track of the timeline and story shared by people on here to assess your anticipated receive date and issues you might encounter.

Good luck everyone!
Congratulations! Did you reapply by paper or online?

Aria020711

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
I'm in the same situation.
I finished my study at York University in Aug,2019.
in 2018, there was a strike happned at York U, so I was dropped to parttime because of the strike.
I applied for PGWP at 1st, Oct, 2019. However, I didn't submit an Explanation Letter about the strike.
Then, I got refused at 6th, Jan, 2020. The refusal letter shows that I was refused because of the parttime semester during the strike.
I lost my status when I was refused.
I called the IRCC call centre, the agent let me to reapplied by paper, and restore my status at the same time.
(I don't know why I should apply by paper, but I did it as she told me)
I reapplied PGWP and restored my status as student at 31st, Jan, 2020. (With an explanation lettter) By paper. Paid for $690 (PGWP+Restoration+Biometrics)

So far, I didn't get any updates. No received confirmation. No biometrics letter.
I even don't know whether my application has been received or not.
I have tried to call IRCC, but still no updats.
Could anyone tell me what can I do right now.
I was really upset and desperate.

Redrh1no

Mar 6, 2017
Hi there! My temporary resident status expired on May 15th. I am now evaluation my options, and it seems like the restoration of my status as a worker might be one of the only ones. Based on what I have read here, it seems like there is a chance that I could restore my status and go back to work. I was on a Young Professional visa for 1 year, so I guess my questions are:
Can I apply for a work permit while I apply for the restoration of my status? If so, do I need a new offer of employment from the employer I used to work for?
What are my chances of having my status restored? Is there a better chance that it would get refused?
How long does it take these days for CIC to process a restoration of satus?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi there! My temporary resident status expired on May 15th. I am now evaluation my options, and it seems like the restoration of my status as a worker might be one of the only ones. Based on what I have read here, it seems like there is a chance that I could restore my status and go back to work. I was on a Young Professional visa for 1 year, so I guess my questions are:
Can I apply for a work permit while I apply for the restoration of my status? If so, do I need a new offer of employment from the employer I used to work for?
What are my chances of having my status restored? Is there a better chance that it would get refused?
How long does it take these days for CIC to process a restoration of satus?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
1. The restoration of status as a visitor is your only hope. As the Young Professional is for 1 year is not extendable.
2. So to apply for a work permit you need an approved LMIA from your employer, who has to advertise the position, demonstrate there are no PR/Citizen qualified for the position, pay $1K and wait about 3/4 months or so.

Redrh1no

Mar 6, 2017
Thanks for the info! Is it fairly automatic for CIC to restore a status to visitor? And would it be for like 6 months or less?

Redrh1no

Mar 6, 2017
Instead of applying to restore my status as a visitor, can't I just apply to get a visitor record? Isn't there a better chance of not having this one refused and allow me to stay longer?

thotavinay

May 8, 2020
Yesterday morning I received biometrics correspondence letter on my restoration file. Can anyone tell when can i expect my decision on my file?