+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Restoration of status

yingying

Jun 6, 2019
Hi, I didn't apply for post-graduation work permit before my study permit expired because my graduation letter was late and I forgot to renew my study permit.

My study permit expired last day of March and I received my gradation letter in Mid-May. I called IRCC last month and asked them what I should do. The agent suggested that I apply for restoration of status and PGWP at the same time. I asked if I could apply for restoration as student since I already received my graduation letter and not student anymore, and the agent suggested I should apply for restoration as a worker.

So I submitted my application by paper at the end of last month. I submitted IMM5710 in which I checked both "restore my status as a worker" and "Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer".

I haven't received any confirmation or email regarding my application yet. I started to panick and am wondering if I submitted the right application.

Could anyone please shed some light on this? Should I apply for restoration as a student or worker? If I did it wrong, is there anyway that I can contact their office and amend the documents? I am so worried that because it's already towards the end of the 90 days period and if they rejected me because I made the wrong application, I won't have any time to correct it.

Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

yingying

Jun 6, 2019
So I called IRCC today and the agent told me what I did was okay and I don't need to apply for restoration as student.
Hope everything will work out fine.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You have six months after your permit expires to apply for a PGWP, you were well within that.

You should have extended your stay as a visitor, but again, since you applied for restoration within the 90-day period, you're OK. And yes, you couldn't apply for restoration as a student. Why didn't you apply for restoration as a visitor? That's the only thing I would have changed. It shouldn't (hopefully) be a big deal.

Reactions: yingying

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Normally they would apply to restore status as a visitor, not worker. But I guess it should be okay?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga

yingying

Jun 6, 2019
Thank you very much for your replies!
I mistakenly thought that I could only be either a student or a worker. I was in panic and did not think it through...

I have mailed the application documents by paper to Edmonton office and haven't received any response or confirmation.
Would you suggest that I send a new set of documents for application of restoration as visitor and PGWP, and ask them to cancel my previous application? If so, do I need to pay the application fees again or is it okay to send them the old receipt?

There seems to be no way to communicate with the processing office except by mail.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You can contact them via the webform. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

I don't think you should send another application just yet. You should prepare the application, and if you haven't heard from IRCC by June 23rd or so (about a week before your 90 days expire), then send it in. If you do that, make sure you pay the application fees again.

I'm quite sure you will hear from them before June 23.

yingying

Jun 6, 2019
You can contact them via the webform. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

I don't think you should send another application just yet. You should prepare the application, and if you haven't heard from IRCC by June 23rd or so (about a week before your 90 days expire), then send it in. If you do that, make sure you pay the application fees again.

I'm quite sure you will hear from them before June 23.
Okay, I will do so and post the result in the forum.
Thanks again for your help!