+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help RE: x-ray and pregnancy

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Are you based out in TORONTO/GTA. Just wondering if you could share the details of the doctor you spoke to.
we are on Vancouver island in BC. can't remember what exactly the doctors said but the conclusion I gathered was there's risk but not so much .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would speak to your own physician and make a decision about your x-ray based on their advice and your personal comfort level. This is a personal decision. Most postpone x-rays but some go ahead. Would speak to your OB and do your own research.

Last edited:
Reactions: andy_2016

andy_2016

Star Member
Jun 24, 2016
we are on Vancouver island in BC. can't remember what exactly the doctors said but the conclusion I gathered was there's risk but not so much .
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, this is very helpful.

BTW: I have been on Vancouver Island twice and found it is like heaven on earth, very beautiful enjoy.

Reactions: PAINKILLER28

andy_2016

Star Member
Jun 24, 2016
I would speak to your own physician and make a decision about your x-ray based on their advice and your personal comfort level. This is a personal decision. Most postpone x-rays but some go ahead. Would speak to your OB and do your own research.
Sure, we are waiting for the appointment to be scheduled with OB. Since our wait is 30+ weeks, that is why so many questions and on my mind.

Thank you for your advice here.

andy_2016

Star Member
Jun 24, 2016
You can choose to the do the medicals without the xray the panel physician will send the results with a note to the IRCC about the XRAY (which will be done later). If you decide to do the Xray, at 2nd trimester it is safe, the panel physician will advice you more about this, and during the xray they put a double or triple shield to protect the baby. Its also a good idea to talk to your own doctor before going, check that everything is okay with the baby (the one that you have been seeing during the pregnancy)
Seems like I will consult the panel and our OB before we action this. I was not aware that they would be putting any shields to protect the baby. This is very helpful information. Thank you for sharing this.

Reactions: Eveslm

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, this is very helpful.

BTW: I have been on Vancouver Island twice and found it is like heaven on earth, very beautiful enjoy.
Thank you, that's very kind of you.

And good luck with your medical as well as the baby .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems like I will consult the panel and our OB before we action this. I was not aware that they would be putting any shields to protect the baby. This is very helpful information. Thank you for sharing this.
When taking any form of x-ray they usually shield your reproductive organs and thryroid with a lead vest. They also ask any woman if they could be pregnant before any x-Ray. If there is any doubt an xray will be delayed until a pregnancy test is done. When trying to minimize exposure to radiation a lead vest is used so in an attempt for the baby to have the least exposure to radiation as possible they use a lead vest. General rules is to minimize exposure to many things in pregnancy unless medically necessary which is why most OBs tell you to avoid the exposure if possible. If it is not possible at least it is better later on in the pregnancy where most of development development has already happened. Personal choice as people have said. This is the basic conversation your OB will likely have with you.

Reactions: PAINKILLER28