+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help RE: x-ray and pregnancy

nhorie

Nov 24, 2011
hi everyone
i just gave birth 1 month ago and did my xray 3 days after giving birth..does anyone know how much long to wait for ppr? thanks

Ottawa10

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Hi there,

I am 29wk pregnant and just received MR, Bio data and RPRF requests this morning.
As for MR, I am going to defer my chest X-ray till I deliver my baby.

As far as I understand, you have to do chest X-ray and blood test, correct?
Can I just undergo blood test right now and do chest X-ray later on?

thanks,

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
Ottawa10 said:
Hi there,

I am 29wk pregnant and just received MR, Bio data and RPRF requests this morning.

thanks,
Yes I think you can. I'm a male, but assume the medical is the same. I did mine a few days ago. Urine, Blood, physical (ears,eyes, streching, prostate cough, then X-ray).

spookyb

Mar 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Feb-2013
AOR Received.
22-Mar-2013
Med's Request
06-Dec-2013
Med's Done....
16-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
24-Mar-2014
VISA ISSUED...
31-Mar-2014
LANDED..........
10-Apr-2014
Ottawa10 said:
Hi there,

thanks,
Yes, you can do the blood test, and may also be able to do the x-ray but that is a personal choice and depends on the x-ray technician. My wife had her x-ray done at 38 weeks, and was told by the doctor and well as the x-ray technician that it was relatively safe after 26 weeks.

Konkanasetty

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2013
AOR Received.
02-06-2013
Med's Request
03-01-2014
Med's Done....
02-08-2014(chest x-ray was pending due to pregnancy)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Got passport back with Visa Stamping on 17-Oct-2014
LANDED..........
17-0ct-2014
Hi All,

For precautionary reasons, how soon can we take chest x ray after delivering a baby. I would like to know, how many days the gap should be given to avoid any future health problems.

Any idea?

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
Konkanasetty said:
Hi All,

For precautionary reasons, how soon can we take chest x ray after delivering a baby. I would like to know, how many days the gap should be given to avoid any future health problems.

Any idea?
You should speak to the physician and your own doctor for their guidance as we are not doctors.
That said, the x-Ray radiation emitted for a chest x-Ray is absolutely minimal and you will have more exposure on a flight from toronto to Vancouver

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/08/2012. Sydney received on 17/08/12
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-22-2013, dependents 28-08-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
september 6th 2013, cic received on sept 10th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
lpc19800 said:
You should speak to the physician and your own doctor for their guidance as we are not doctors.
That said, the x-Ray radiation emitted for a chest x-Ray is absolutely minimal and you will have more exposure on a flight from toronto to Vancouver
can I get the link which says that it is unsafe to fly during pregnancy??

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
ujbaby said:
can I get the link which says that it is unsafe to fly during pregnancy??

There isn't one because it is safe to fly during pregnancy - that's my point. Drs let people fly but are hesitant about x-rays which have less radiation

That said, most airlines have a cut off date -usually around 30-36 weeks when they either don't accept pregnant women or they require a dr's letter. You'll need to check the airline's policy but up until that cut off date, you are completely safe to fly. I will be 21 weeks when I go from yyz to Mexico and no one has batted an eyelid :)

Ottawa10

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Here is my experience with pregnancy and chest X-ray...

After much consideration, I decided to go through chest x-ray (I am in my 3rd trimester).
I booked an appointment with a physician here in Ottawa and told the receptionist that I was expecting. I went in with a letter of approval for chest X-ray from my OB/Gyn, only to be told I cannot go through chest x-ray and have to come back after the delivery :( It was a little disappointing as I was hoping to get it done with asap.

spookyb

Mar 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Feb-2013
AOR Received.
22-Mar-2013
Med's Request
06-Dec-2013
Med's Done....
16-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
24-Mar-2014
VISA ISSUED...
31-Mar-2014
LANDED..........
10-Apr-2014
Ottawa10 said:
Here is my experience with pregnancy and chest X-ray...

After much consideration, I decided to go through chest x-ray (I am in my 3rd trimester).
I booked an appointment with a physician here in Ottawa and told the receptionist that I was expecting. I went in with a letter of approval for chest X-ray from my OB/Gyn, only to be told I cannot go through chest x-ray and have to come back after the delivery :( It was a little disappointing as I was hoping to get it done with asap.
Ottawa10,

Sorry to hear that, but it totally depends on the technician. The one we went to said she saw no reason why my wife could not do the x-ray as she was almost at her due date. The way she explained it to us was that babies that are born prematurely, but past 26 weeks, get chest x-rays done several times to determine the development of their lungs. So, given that this x-ray isn't even aimed at the child, and with the added protective shields, it shouldn't really cause any concerns.

But again, it's up to the technician. If you want, you can try again in a few more weeks at a different location, or just wait till after your delivery.

Ottawa10

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
spookyb said:
Ottawa10,

Sorry to hear that, but it totally depends on the technician. The one we went to said she saw no reason why my wife could not do the x-ray as she was almost at her due date. The way she explained it to us was that babies that are born prematurely, but past 26 weeks, get chest x-rays done several times to determine the development of their lungs. So, given that this x-ray isn't even aimed at the child, and with the added protective shields, it shouldn't really cause any concerns.

But again, it's up to the technician. If you want, you can try again in a few more weeks at a different location, or just wait till after your delivery.
hi Spookyb,

I hear you.. I've spoken with my OB and other doctor who reviewed my last ultrasound; they both said there is no harm to the baby.
It sounded like the x-ray technician at that location will not conduct x-ray unless it is life-threatening.
The doc said that they may lose their license by doing it on me. When he said it, I just stopped arguing.
I could've asked for refund and gone with other doctor but I've already called 2 other places prior to booking an appointment with this doctor and both places said no. So I guess I'll just go back to do the xray once I have my baby in early March.

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
Guys, I would be extremely grateful if somebody can help with me my unusual scenario.

For background purposes, I had received an ITA back in April 2016 and me and my wife then got our medicals done in May 2016. Our e-medical Information Sheet mentions this "This health case was submitted to CIC on 16 May 2016. However, my application was rejected because there was an issue my spouse's PCC. I created a new Express Entry profile and received an ITA again on November 2, 2016.

Now here's my dilemma. My spouse currently is 6 weeks pregnant. This means her due date is around late June 2017 or early July 2017. I cannot go and do another medical now because we can't take the risk of getting a chest x-ray done while my wife is pregnant. If I go to the panel physician and tell him that my wife is pregnant, they will issue a Client X-Ray deferral letter, which is fine but the issue is CIC will not process the application until the medicals are fully done (meaning my wife's X-ray is also done). 6 months Application processing timeline of CIC means the date is around May 2017 starting from now. But my wife is not expected to deliver until June 2017 and I cannot get an X-ray done before June 2017. So what should I do?

The solution I have is that instead of getting a new medical done, I should use our old medicals which is still valid until 16 May 2017 as per my understanding. However, I've read that CIC wants the medicals to be valid for at least 6 months at the time of submission of your application. If I have to meet that criteria, this means I need to submit my application before 15th November 2016. Am i right in this assessment?

Please suggest a course of action. Would be extremely grateful.

bshailesh3

Sep 28, 2013
ujbaby said:
Thanks guys, i got appointment today but they refused to do the x-ray so they have to inform CIC that i am pregnant and it will be done later after delivery. i wanted to do the x-ray on my own consent cos i don't want to wait longer but i couldn't get any DR. to agree with me so i guess i don't have a choice. The Dr. says that he will inform CIC and that i will be good and my application will proceed. I am not sure about this but that is what i was told. Anyhow, iam glad that my application is approved.. :) :)
which doctor you had gone with Medical exam?

chonji1226

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Can someone help us with this question. I'm also in a similar situation with my pregnant wife. My wife went through medical exam 10 months ago for her work permit application. I thought medical tests are valid for 12 months?? Another question I have is how are we going to to show the medical certificate from 10 months ago, we do not have any copy of medical clearance, everything was done online. The hospital submitted the results directly to CIC and afterwards my wife got the approval but she did not get any copy of clearance.

"Medical certificates for applicants who pass a medical examination in or outside Canada are valid for twelve months from the date of the last medical assessment of an applicant’s file by a medical officer and/or delegated staff."

shariq123 said:
Guys, I would be extremely grateful if somebody can help with me my unusual scenario.

For background purposes, I had received an ITA back in April 2016 and me and my wife then got our medicals done in May 2016. Our e-medical Information Sheet mentions this "This health case was submitted to CIC on 16 May 2016. However, my application was rejected because there was an issue my spouse's PCC. I created a new Express Entry profile and received an ITA again on November 2, 2016.

Now here's my dilemma. My spouse currently is 6 weeks pregnant. This means her due date is around late June 2017 or early July 2017. I cannot go and do another medical now because we can't take the risk of getting a chest x-ray done while my wife is pregnant. If I go to the panel physician and tell him that my wife is pregnant, they will issue a Client X-Ray deferral letter, which is fine but the issue is CIC will not process the application until the medicals are fully done (meaning my wife's X-ray is also done). 6 months Application processing timeline of CIC means the date is around May 2017 starting from now. But my wife is not expected to deliver until June 2017 and I cannot get an X-ray done before June 2017. So what should I do?

The solution I have is that instead of getting a new medical done, I should use our old medicals which is still valid until 16 May 2017 as per my understanding. However, I've read that CIC wants the medicals to be valid for at least 6 months at the time of submission of your application. If I have to meet that criteria, this means I need to submit my application before 15th November 2016. Am i right in this assessment?

Please suggest a course of action. Would be extremely grateful.

crama123

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
Hong Kong PCC
AOR Received.
31-May-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
09-Feb-2014
Med's Done....
05-Mar-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-May-2014
LANDED..........
20-July-2014
chonji1226 said:
Can someone help us with this question. I'm also in a similar situation with my pregnant wife. My wife went through medical exam 10 months ago for her work permit application. I thought medical tests are valid for 12 months?? Another question I have is how are we going to to show the medical certificate from 10 months ago, we do not have any copy of medical clearance, everything was done online. The hospital submitted the results directly to CIC and afterwards my wife got the approval but she did not get any copy of clearance.

"Medical certificates for applicants who pass a medical examination in or outside Canada are valid for twelve months from the date of the last medical assessment of an applicant’s file by a medical officer and/or delegated staff."
As long as you know that the medical tests are done with in last 12 months you can use the IMEI number you have for the medicals done for workpermit (You can look for the IMEI number on the medical request you recieved while workpermit is in progress). I think CIC can also find your medical record based on the UCI number.