+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! PRRA decision letter

msophie123

Jan 17, 2018
Has anyone received a PRRA decision letter before?
I have not had an interview but a decision has been made. Im nervous.
Anyone been through this? What to expect? Have you been approved or denied. I would just like to know what to expect so I dont have a panic attack for two weeks.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Anyone been through this? What to expect? Have you been approved or denied. I would just like to know what to expect so I dont have a panic attack for two weeks.
PRRA stands for Pre-Removal Risk Assessment, and if you are about receiving this letter, most likely it is a negative decision. Sorry for the bad news.
But it is not actually a remove order, and what you need to do is immediately to consult with a lawyer for your options. Best wish.

msophie123

Jan 17, 2018
PRRA stands for Pre-Removal Risk Assessment, and if you are about receiving this letter, most likely it is a negative decision. Sorry for the bad news.
But it is not actually a remove order, and what you need to do is immediately to consult with a lawyer for your options. Best wish.
Thank you. Yes im thinking it maybe a bad news. I was just wondering what the process is and if anyone has been through this. Thank you for your reply.

Harvey0880

Jul 7, 2018
How did the interview go?

msophie123

Jan 17, 2018
Hi Harvey0880,

He did not have an interview. He was sent a letter a decision was made and given a date to come in.
Upon meeting with the immigration officer he was told his application was denied because he did not have sufficient evidence his life was in danger. He was asked when he can leave the country, if he was purchasing his own ticket or not and if he had any questions. He asked for 6 months time in order to get his affairs in order and leave Canada after 17 years.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hi Harvey0880,

He did not have an interview. He was sent a letter a decision was made and given a date to come in.
Upon meeting with the immigration officer he was told his application was denied because he did not have sufficient evidence his life was in danger. He was asked when he can leave the country, if he was purchasing his own ticket or not and if he had any questions. He asked for 6 months time in order to get his affairs in order and leave Canada after 17 years.
17 years in Canada? Was the person that you mention a permanent resident during any of this time, commit a serious offence and be ordered deported? Just wondering as it is an unusually lengthy amount of time in Canada. Did he apply for relief under H&C?

msophie123

Jan 17, 2018
He is not being deported, just ordered to leave canada. He also did not have a lawyer. He had lawyers in past that cost so much and did not help at all. I suppose those seeking to fight to remain in canada should seek successful help

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
He is not being deported, just ordered to leave canada. He also did not have a lawyer. He had lawyers in past that cost so much and did not help at all. I suppose those seeking to fight to remain in canada should seek successful help
Well, I don't believe that you can generalize about what people need to be successful when you offer up an exceptional immigration case.

17 years in Canada needs explaining and if he was ordered to leave Canada then that "order" will have an order-type, and I will guess that we are crossing terms - he could have a deportation order but be allowed to make his own arrangements to depart Canada (maybe?).

If he hasn't applied for H&C then there isn't anything left to decide outside of fighting the order in the Court$- by the way, you neglected to mention any criminality in his story, so is there none?

msophie123

Jan 17, 2018
He has not yet given a date to leave to immigration. They gave him 6 months to prepare to leave with a monthly check in. He has no criminal record of any sort. They just deem him not in danger if returned home. He did not go through the proper immigration rules when arrived in Canada and took him 8 years to apply as a refugee, which was denied 6 years ago lol. The pre-removal assessment was also denied. I am not sure when he will be eligible to return to Canada if he decides to do so.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sounds like the majority of the time he was living with no status and originally may have overstayed a visitor visa. Unfortunately it will be some time before he will be granted a TRV if ever. If he complies with the order and self-deports his chances will be better than if he is forcibly removed. I am sure there is much more to this case so would assume Canada would not trust the person to visit and leave.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
He has not yet given a date to leave to immigration. They gave him 6 months to prepare to leave with a monthly check in. He has no criminal record of any sort. They just deem him not in danger if returned home. He did not go through the proper immigration rules when arrived in Canada and took him 8 years to apply as a refugee, which was denied 6 years ago lol. The pre-removal assessment was also denied. I am not sure when he will be eligible to return to Canada if he decides to do so.
Six years to remove someone is very lengthy given how they usually go after the easy removals right away, and especially so around the time of refusal - going to guess that he went through the whole appeals process to the FCC. I won't make light of his situation and guess that he comes from a nation where the travel documents are hard to get or where there may have been a temporary suspension of removals.

Giving him 6 months to leave after 17 years here is also a surprising act of reason by folks not legendary for their generosity. He could apply for an H&C but I have to wonder why that hasn't happened to date?

AbhiThak

Sep 13, 2021
hi i have similar situation but i m pr from last 2o years and have criminal record and my prra got rejected what can I do now

Reactions: Gill$&@

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Even with PR you have to apply for PRRA?? Why is that?
Hi - if a person with PR status is convicted for a serious criminal offence, the person is taken to Adjudication where they lose their PR status and receive a removal order. If eligible, they appeal the removal order but should the appeal fail, PRRA is then offered.

PRRA is a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment, so the answer to this person's question is that the next step is removal. Remedies? Hire a lawyer to discuss spending lots and lots of cash on appeals or requests for temporary Stays of Removal to the Federal Court of Canada. It isn't mentioned what the person did or where they are from, so there's little to add regarding their chance for success.

A footnote to all of this might be that this conviction and deportation follows the individual inasmuch as any country with which Canada routinely shares information will learn of their criminality and removal. You've caused your world to shrink.