+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Proof of cohabitation when you have an atypical lifestyle?

blackspruce

Apr 2, 2021
Hi, so I'm a US citizen married to a Canadian citizen (my husband). I'm applying for permanent residency under spousal sponsorship (inland processing) right now.

I have most of my application completed, but I'm really worried about how to provide proof of cohabitation.

My husband is a fire lookout, a seasonal contract job (with the government?), 4-5 months of the year. I've been with him in Canada since March of last year, and because of his job, we move a lot. At his work residence (the lookout tower), we don't have rent or utilities or any of that. He/I also don't have our own cell phone plans. I have a cell plan that my mom in the US pays for, and he doesn't own a phone. I haven't changed any of my formal address stuff (ie bank, debit card, ect) to any Canadian address because we move around so much that it doesn't make sense. We don't own credit cards. I don't drive so I'm not on his insurance. And we never thought to add me to his bank account, or have a joint bank account, because we just use his debit card/bank account for all our living expenses? I'm not working since I'm considered a visitor here, obviously. He pays for our stuff, so this is what's made sense for us so far.

SO : I can only provide our recent rental agreement, which was 6 months long. Utilities were included in rent, because we specifically look for rentals that do that, to simplify our lives. I can also provide photographs of me at his work residence, which I feel supports that I was indeed living there with him for his entire work contract before the start of our current lease (since we are dropped off there by helicopter and I couldn't leave even if I wanted to, which, why would I want to? the place is awesome).

I am going to ask our landlady to write a letter vouching that we do indeed live together, next door to her house. I can maybe have a few of our neighbours also write letters vouching this. I can also get his supervisor to write a letter vouching that I live with him at the lookout tower for this coming fire season, but I really need to have my PR application sent out before we go into the tower. I'm also writing a letter to explain our unique circumstances.

Is there anything else I can provide? I just plain haven't changed my address through any of the typical means. Help?????

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, so I'm a US citizen married to a Canadian citizen (my husband). I'm applying for permanent residency under spousal sponsorship (inland processing) right now.

I have most of my application completed, but I'm really worried about how to provide proof of cohabitation.

My husband is a fire lookout, a seasonal contract job (with the government?), 4-5 months of the year. I've been with him in Canada since March of last year, and because of his job, we move a lot. At his work residence (the lookout tower), we don't have rent or utilities or any of that. He/I also don't have our own cell phone plans. I have a cell plan that my mom in the US pays for, and he doesn't own a phone. I haven't changed any of my formal address stuff (ie bank, debit card, ect) to any Canadian address because we move around so much that it doesn't make sense. We don't own credit cards. I don't drive so I'm not on his insurance. And we never thought to add me to his bank account, or have a joint bank account, because we just use his debit card/bank account for all our living expenses?

SO : I can only provide our recent rental agreement, which was 6 months long. Utilities were included in rent, because we specifically look for rentals that do that, to simplify our lives. I can also provide photographs of me at his work residence, which I feel supports that I was indeed living there with him for his entire work contract before the start of our current lease (since we are dropped off there by helicopter and I couldn't leave even if I wanted to, which, why would I want to? the place is awesome).

I am going to ask our landlady to write a letter vouching that we do indeed live together, next door to her house. I can maybe have a few of our neighbours also write letters vouching this. I can also get his supervisor to write a letter vouching that I live with him at the lookout tower for this coming fire season, but I really need to have my PR application sent out before we go into the tower. I'm also writing a letter to explain our unique circumstances.

Is there anything else I can provide? I just plain haven't changed my address through any of the typical means. Help?????
One super easy solution would be to apply outland rather than inland.

blackspruce

Apr 2, 2021
One super easy solution would be to apply outland rather than inland.
Wouldn't that require me to be outside of Canada?
We kind of want to do everything we can to stay together and not be apart. We've been together for years now and are trying to avoid having to be long-distance any more than we have been.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wouldn't that require me to be outside of Canada?
We kind of want to do everything we can to stay together and not be apart. We've been together for years now and are trying to avoid having to be long-distance any more than we have been.
No - applying outland does not require you to be outside of Canada. Many of us here have successfully applied through the outland route while our spouses were with us in Canada. If you go this route, you would need to apply to continue to extend your visitor status in Canada while the application is processed.

Reactions: DiiDii

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes

My husband is a fire lookout, a seasonal contract job (with the government?), 4-5 months of the year. I've been with him in Canada since March of last year, and because of his job, we move a lot. At his work residence (the lookout tower), we don't have rent or utilities or any of that. He/I also don't have our own cell phone plans. I have a cell plan that my mom in the US pays for, and he doesn't own a phone. I haven't changed any of my formal address stuff (ie bank, debit card, ect) to any Canadian address because we move around so much that it doesn't make sense. We don't own credit cards. I don't drive so I'm not on his insurance. And we never thought to add me to his bank account, or have a joint bank account, because we just use his debit card/bank account for all our living expenses? I'm not working since I'm considered a visitor here, obviously. He pays for our stuff, so this is what's made sense for us so far.

What exactly did you include to them already as it is? And did you write an explanation letter saying this already?

blackspruce

Apr 2, 2021
What exactly did you include to them already as it is? And did you write an explanation letter saying this already?
As of now, I will be including a copy of our current lease, which has both of our names on it; a letter of explanation as to why I can't provide other options given; my partner's job offer letter containing a description of his work and that it entails living on-site (or I may just wait so that we can get an actual letter from his employer that basically states I live on-site with him); and a letter from our landlady stating that we have lived as a married couple at our current rental for the past 7 months (and that she witnessed our marriage ceremony for us).
So, yes, I have explained all of this. I thought I'd post on this forum to see if anyone can provide me with more assurance that this is enough, or ideas for others things I can include to avoid a rejection/delays.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As of now, I will be including a copy of our current lease, which has both of our names on it; a letter of explanation as to why I can't provide other options given; my partner's job offer letter containing a description of his work and that it entails living on-site (or I may just wait so that we can get an actual letter from his employer that basically states I live on-site with him); and a letter from our landlady stating that we have lived as a married couple at our current rental for the past 7 months (and that she witnessed our marriage ceremony for us).
So, yes, I have explained all of this. I thought I'd post on this forum to see if anyone can provide me with more assurance that this is enough, or ideas for others things I can include to avoid a rejection/delays.
Letter from employer regarding the conditions (and perhaps the pilot that dropped you off?) would certainly help.

But I think you've been given the relevant advice: if you want to avoid possibility of delay for more detailed evaluation, apply outland. If you don't need the open work permit etc., then fine.

I think it's fair to say that in outland, they're mainly evaluating your relationship and likelihood that this is a marriage for immigration purposes - and no obvious issues there. With inland, you do need to be living together, and that requires (in your case) a bit more subjective analysis, with that analysis 'informed' by amount and type of documentation.

This is just normal bureaucratic stuff: there's a possibility that (somewhat) weak evidence of residing together in Canada would result in a comment for review, by eg an officer with more experience or authority - a somewhat more limited resource (in terms of time). That's not necessarily a big problem, but could take a bit longer; but no-one can really say.

I don't think (personal opinion only) that you run much risk of a serious issue or refusal - your situation is more in the category of "who would make something like this up?". But it may require a bit of thought on the other end, and if you can remove the requirement for thought/analysis, all the better - easy simple files get quicker review. (There is also the possibility they'd ask for more info down the road, which also would add a bit of time).

In the end, up to you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
To underline, I'm only talking about a possibility of a more detailed review. Maybe there wouldn't be at all. No way to know.

blackspruce

Apr 2, 2021
To underline, I'm only talking about a possibility of a more detailed review. Maybe there wouldn't be at all. No way to know.
Great, thank you for writing all that! It's very helpful. The OWP is somewhat important, but I'm going to mull over this for the next day or two and decide if we might want to do outland processing instead in light of all you've wrote.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Great, thank you for writing all that! It's very helpful. The OWP is somewhat important, but I'm going to mull over this for the next day or two and decide if we might want to do outland processing instead in light of all you've wrote.
I don't really follow or attempt to what relative speed of outland vs inland (to OWP stage) is like and of course each depends on file specifics (as discussed); unfortunately recent history of the last year is, due to covid, not necessarily much of a guide about what's happening right now or going forward.

If you decide to proceed with inland, you may want to slowly accumulate evidence of living together - things like actually getting some mailing addresses on documents/accounts, local cell phone, etc - in case you should be asked down the road for additional evidence. Hopefully won't come up, but as you're finding now, it's harder to do so all at once or going backwards.

Good luck.