+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP PLEASE ... TUBERCULOSIS PAST HISTORY - medical exam

canadiensedream2015

Star Member
Apr 20, 2015
Hi everyone,

I had tuberculosis about 10 years ago. I was treated in my home country but I have scars in my lungs. I was also treated again in the USA for school regulations even though I did not have active TB. I guess the school just wanted to make sure I represented no harm for anyone there (I have paperwork that shows I underwent a 9 month treatment in USA).

I am about to spend a lot of money for my medical in Express Entry. Even more since they will probably require my wife and daughter to undergo further test and so on ...

Anyone has had any similar experience? Will they reject my EE application based on my past history of TB?
Will they consider the fact that I have paper work showing I was treated in US for 9 months?

I am just worried that my family and I will go through all this process and spend a lot of money just to get a NO/REJECTION at the end.

Any help or advice will be strongly appreciated.

PS: I am already working in Canada and had not had to do a Medical to come here since I lived in the USA before and come straight from there.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
You won't be rejected for inactive TB, but they may put you under medical surveillance. You may find the following links to be useful:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/form/tb-factsheets.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/surveillance/surveillance.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/imei_tuberculosis.pdf

canadiensedream2015

Star Member
Apr 20, 2015
Thanks arowberry.
If I understand it correctly I think my family and I should have a chance to get PR through EE. It might just take longer to accommodate time for surveillance.
I appreciated your quick reply. We will go ahead and get the medical exam done.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
I could be wrong, but I don't think surveillance will add any additional processing time to your application. I think you're under surveillance once you have become a PR and have 'landed' in Canada (for a given duration).

canadiensedream2015

Star Member
Apr 20, 2015
arowberry said:
I could be wrong, but I don't think surveillance will add any additional processing time to your application. I think you're under surveillance once you have become a PR and have 'landed' in Canada (for a given duration).
Do you think I should contact CIC to start some kind of surveillance?

When I applied for my current work permit, the only question related was if I had TB in the last 6 months (I was treated 10 years ago and no relapse) or if I have lived in a *designated* country within the past 6 months (I lived in the US for the past 5 years so no need for medical exam).

I still think my situation may require extra time IF the doctor thinks I should take a 6 months treatment just in case. My other question was whether my paperwork showing I underwent 9 months treatment in US (even though I had not active TB) will help in anyways, perhaps as to no require further treatment here in Canada.

Thanks for your suggestions.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
The following threads may contain some useful information (at the very least, you'll find people better educated in CIC surveillance):

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/please-help-medical-surviellance-t231366.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pulmonary-tuberculosisactiveinactivehistorysputum-tests6-mos-medication-t150897.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/urgent-medical-surveillance-t280533.0.html

I stand by my previous comment; I don't think it will take you any longer to become a Permanent Resident, but you will probably have to go through surveillance once you have 'landed' here. It's worth asking in the threads above whether a TB-related CIC medical takes significantly longer than a 'straight forward' one.

I would definitely bring the treatment documentation along to the CIC medical.

Joshy1979

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
I'm new to this group I have an issue my wife is the PA and we have a CRS score of 451 on next EE draw hopefully we get the ITA
For the time being we decided that my y wife and daughter is applying for PR (bcz I could not apply due to some work related issue) my problem is that
I was suffering from TB in 2008 and it's medication is completed and I'm negative;
1:from someone I heard that even if my name is not going to include in the PR application I have to go for a medical is it true????
2:My past TB history make any negative impacts on our application???

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
I'm new to this group I have an issue my wife is the PA and we have a CRS score of 451 on next EE draw hopefully we get the ITA
For the time being we decided that my y wife and daughter is applying for PR (bcz I could not apply due to some work related issue) my problem is that
I was suffering from TB in 2008 and it's medication is completed and I'm negative;
1:from someone I heard that even if my name is not going to include in the PR application I have to go for a medical is it true????
2:My past TB history make any negative impacts on our application???
Hi Joshy1979,
I'm not an expert on this matter but my understanding is that:
1) Yes, even if you are not accompanying your wife and daughter, you will have to complete a medical exam (and submit a police clearance certificate) to support their application
2) As has been highlighted in this thread, your TB history MAY NOT have a negative impact on the application, but if you ever do join your wife and daughter, you may be subject to medical surveillance (there's no way to tell how this will all turn out until after the medical I presume though; it will probably be based on Health Canada's ultimate assessment of if you pose a potential risk to Canadians)...

Joshy1979

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
Hi Joshy1979,
I'm not an expert on this matter but my understanding is that:
1) Yes, even if you are not accompanying your wife and daughter, you will have to complete a medical exam (and submit a police clearance certificate) to support their application
2) As has been highlighted in this thread, your TB history MAY NOT have a negative impact on the application, but if you ever do join your wife and daughter, you may be subject to medical surveillance (there's no way to tell how this will all turn out until after the medical I presume though; it will probably be based on Health Canada's ultimate assessment of if you pose a potential risk to Canadians)...

So can we proceed further and put our profile for next draw???
Waiting for reply

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
So can we proceed further and put our profile for next draw???
Waiting for reply
You can certainly go ahead and submit the profile; just keep in mind that nothing is guaranteed - there are a number of things, including, possibly your health history, that could ultimately end in the cancellation or refusal of your wife's application.

On an additional note: you indicated you will not be accompanying your spouse. Without being too nosy, can you provide clarification on your intentions? You stated you can't apply now because of work commitments, but is it that you intend to join your wife and daughter in Canada in the next year or 2? If this is the case, it might be better for your wife to list you as accompanying (or for you to be the primary applicant and list your wife as accompanying, if your profile has the higher CRS score), and then, if you all get PR, for you to just 'soft land' and complete medical surveillance, then return to your home country until you can join your wife and daughter permanently in Canada, assuming you can join them again in time to meet the physical residence requirement of being in Canada for 2 out of your first 5 years, to maintain your PR status (although you might want to do more research on what medical surveillance entails).

I suggest this alternative because, if your spouse lists you as unaccompanying and gets PR, she will then have to apply for spousal sponsorship to have you join them, once you're ready, which will require a whole new application and a 12+ month wait, which will keep you separated from them for longer...

Joshy1979

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
You can certainly go ahead and submit the profile; just keep in mind that nothing is guaranteed - there are a number of things, including, possibly your health history, that could ultimately end in the cancellation or refusal of your wife's application.

On an additional note: you indicated you will not be accompanying your spouse. Without being too nosy, can you provide clarification on your intentions? You stated you can't apply now because of work commitments, but is it that you intend to join your wife and daughter in Canada in the next year or 2? If this is the case, it might be better for your wife to list you as accompanying (or for you to be the primary applicant and list your wife as accompanying, if your profile has the higher CRS score), and then, if you all get PR, for you to just 'soft land' and complete medical surveillance, then return to your home country until you can join your wife and daughter permanently in Canada, assuming you can join them again in time to meet the physical residence requirement of being in Canada for 2 out of your first 5 years, to maintain your PR status (although you might want to do more research on what medical surveillance entails).

I suggest this alternative because, if your spouse lists you as unaccompanying and gets PR, she will then have to apply for spousal sponsorship to have you join them, once you're ready, which will require a whole new application and a 12+ month wait, which will keep you separated from them for longer...
Thank you so much crescent_jam for your immediate response

Joshy1979

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
Thank you so much crescent_jam for your immediate response

I have to give a prior intimation to my office and get NOC it is a long process and t