+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP PLEASE my partner is a student and i applied for open work permit

Jan 6, 2024
My common law partner is a student while i applied for my open work permit.I applied since on august 26th 2023.I got an update on my application on december 7th 2023 that my application at final decision and is in progress.Im still waiting,it has been over 5 months and 1 week.Does it take this long? What can i do to see where my application is?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My common law partner is a student while i applied for my open work permit.I applied since on august 26th 2023.I got an update on my application on december 7th 2023 that my application at final decision and is in progress.Im still waiting,it has been over 5 months and 1 week.Does it take this long? What can i do to see where my application is?
Where do you live? What did you show to prove common law?

Jan 6, 2024
hi,

im from trinidad and i applied within canada when i reached.I provided everything that stated to apply which statuory declaration,proof of one year cohabiation,notatry of public documents etc etc

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hi,

im from trinidad and i applied within canada when i reached.I provided everything that stated to apply which statuory declaration,proof of one year cohabiation,notatry of public documents etc etc
So you provided a lease, utilities, bank accounts etc. It may take longer to verify all documents. You can call IRCC and ask for update.

Jan 6, 2024
So you provided a lease, utilities, bank accounts etc. It may take longer to verify all documents. You can call IRCC and ask for update.
Well we didnt provide bank accounts and lease.We provided utilities because we lived at her parents for 4 years and then we moved here.We had seperate bank accounts as we werent married as yet…

Jan 6, 2024
Yah i called every other week and every agent more or less says a different thing.One agent, however,said that he saw that im im queue for the permit to be printed to reach my portal.Idk how true that was but majority said that an agent sent a message in to fast track my application and they are awaiting the final decision now.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Well we didnt provide bank accounts and lease.We provided utilities because we lived at her parents for 4 years and then we moved here.We had seperate bank accounts as we werent married as yet…
So that may be why it is taking so long to verify documents if IRCC believes you are common law. All you can do is wait and see what happens.

Assume she applied for a study permit as common law and entered Canada as CL.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=347&top=14

Jan 6, 2024
Did she declare herself as common law on her study permit and entry to Canada? Assume she is paying Canadian taxes as common law for 2023. When does her program finish?
Uhmm that im unsure of because we used a immigration consultant for those things.They would of filled out those documents.When we entered canada we did state to the immigration officer that im her common law partner.She works rn and her study permit is finishing in 2025/07/18

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Uhmm that im unsure of because we used a immigration consultant for those things.They would of filled out those documents.When we entered canada we did state to the immigration officer that im her common law partner.She works rn and her study permit is finishing in 2025/07/18
She would have had to declare you in her study permit application. If she didn’t do that then she misrepresented herself. Check her file and see if she is listed as single or common law.