+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Please - how can I safely sponsor my spouse/partner?

Aug 6, 2021
Hello everyone.

New on this forum and looking for some help.

Quick download -

1. lived in a private student accomodation while in uni in New Zealand from March 2017 - September 2018.

2. fell in love with my room mate and began dating in Feb 2018.

3. Applied for Canadian residency in April 2018.

4. moved into an apartment with my room mate (now partner) in September 2018.

5. I became a Canadian resident in December 2018.

6. Returned to NZ and lived with my partner till December 2020 after which I returned to Canada.

I now want to bring her to Canada but scared to sponsor her. Worried the common address in March 2017 when we were room mates would trigger the officer and ask me why I did not declare her as a common law partner when I landed.

Tried getting married but couldn’t thanks to the pandemic. We might get married if I can fly to New Zealand.

We’ve pretty much been financially independent so nothing except joint leases since September 2018.

How can I safely sponsor her and bring her to Canada? Any tips?

Chad4lyphe

Jul 28, 2019
Hello everyone.

New on this forum and looking for some help.

Quick download -

1. lived in a private student accomodation while in uni in New Zealand from March 2017 - September 2018.

2. fell in love with my room mate and began dating in Feb 2018.

3. Applied for Canadian residency in April 2018.

4. moved into an apartment with my room mate (now partner) in September 2018.

5. I became a Canadian resident in December 2018.

6. Returned to NZ and lived with my partner till December 2020 after which I returned to Canada.

I now want to bring her to Canada but scared to sponsor her. Worried the common address in March 2017 when we were room mates would trigger the officer and ask me why I did not declare her as a common law partner when I landed.

Tried getting married but couldn’t thanks to the pandemic. We might get married if I can fly to New Zealand.

We’ve pretty much been financially independent so nothing except joint leases since September 2018.

How can I safely sponsor her and bring her to Canada? Any tips?
U apply in April 2018 for your Canadian residency u started dated two months before u applied, therefore you were not common law when you applied, and you were not common law when you land because you two have only been living together for 3-4 month in December 2018 when you land so there was nothing to declare, u have to be living together for a year at least to consider common law parther

Aug 6, 2021
U apply in April 2018 for your Canadian residency u started dated two months before u applied, therefore you were not common law when you applied, and you were not common law when you land because you two have only been living together for 3-4 month in December 2018 when you land so there was nothing to declare, u have to be living together for a year at least to consider common law parther
That’s correct. But won’t the common address trigger the officer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla sorry to rope you in but would love your thoughts on this if possible. Been following your advise on other threads.
I've only seen a handful of cases like this on the forum. Some have had issues and some haven't. If you're concerned about your application and want support, this might be one of those times when it's best to hire an immigration lawyer to assist you.

Reactions: Mr.PeanutButter