+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help on the citizenship certificate application - documents required

afinemike

Jan 29, 2017
I'm applying for my Canadian Citizenship Certificate.

I was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1969. I do have my Canadian birth certificate. My family moved to the US when I was very young and my parents became naturalized US citizens. I've got a US passport currently. I don't have my US certificate of citizenship (waiting for a new copy still).

Scenario 2 of the documents required, the second question leaves me a bit puzzled.

proof that you ceased to be a British subject before January 1, 1947 (or April 1, 1949 for Newfoundland and Labrador), if applicable, such as:
- foreign naturalization certificate, or
- marriage certificate

At first read, I thought I would need to wait for my US citizenship certificate and send a copy. But it seems that this circumstance clearly wouldn't apply to me, being born in 1969 is a pretty good indication that I wasn't a British subject before Jan 1947.

I believe the only document I need to send in per Scenario 2 is my Canadian birth certificate. Just want to be sure before I send the application in.

Appreciate any advice from the forum. Seems very active, and a great resource.

- Mike

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You were born in Canada and have your Canadian birth certificate - you can apply for passport with the birth certificate.