+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP ON ASYLUM CLAIM

Isaacdire

May 18, 2023
Hello guys, pls i would need some clarification as regards asylum claim and I would appreciate your response pls

1. For those seeking asylum in canada, is it possible that they can be deported back at the point of entry? If so what would be the penalty?

2. If an asylum seeker is eventually granted entry, is there housing/camp for such people’s and how long will it take them to get work permit?

3. Is it possible to cancel an asylum application while in the country, what happens after that?

4. After your hearing , if perhaps your claim is rejected? and asked to leave … can such person return to Canada later probably on another route OR those whose claim is rejected are subject to life or period ban?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys, pls i would need some clarification as regards asylum claim and I would appreciate your response pls

1. For those seeking asylum in canada, is it possible that they can be deported back at the point of entry? If so what would be the penalty?

2. If an asylum seeker is eventually granted entry, is there housing/camp for such people’s and how long will it take them to get work permit?

3. Is it possible to cancel an asylum application while in the country, what happens after that?

4. After your hearing , if perhaps your claim is rejected? and asked to leave … can such person return to Canada later probably on another route OR those whose claim is rejected are subject to life or period ban?
1. I don't think you would be refused at the point of entry unless you are coming from the US and don't meet any of the exceptions under the safe third country agreement.
2. You would need to seek accommodations in shelters. These can be in limited supply depending on the city. Work permit times are a bit difficult to guess. Some get them in a matter of weeks but we have seen others wait over a year. I will let others comment on this and defer to them.
3. You need to leave Canada if you withdraw your refugee claim. Withdrawing your claim activates a removal order which then turns into a deportation order if you don't leave on your own.
4. You can return but it's more difficult. After a refused refugee claim, it becomes very difficult to return in the future on any sort of temporary status such as visitor, student, or worker. You can however apply for PR through an economic immigration program like Express Entry if you qualify. You will also need to go through the ARC process to return.

MikiCanada

Star Member
Sep 13, 2023

After the hearing day, you can appeal if you got rejected.

Reactions: Isaacdire

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. I don't think you would be refused at the point of entry unless you are coming from the US and don't meet any of the exceptions under the safe third country agreement.
2. You would need to seek accommodations in shelters. These can be in limited supply depending on the city. Work permit times are a bit difficult to guess. Some get them in a matter of weeks but we have seen others wait over a year. I will let others comment on this and defer to them.
3. You need to leave Canada if you withdraw your refugee claim. Withdrawing your claim activates a removal order which then turns into a deportation order if you don't leave on your own.
4. You can return but it's more difficult. After a refused refugee claim, it becomes very difficult to return in the future on any sort of temporary status such as visitor, student, or worker. You can however apply for PR through an economic immigration program like Express Entry if you qualify. You will also need to go through the ARC process to return.
Just to add to point 3, if you asylum claim was denied you would not be able to use the time you worked while in Canadas towards PR.
2. There is a shortage of housing for refugees and there have been asylum seekers who had to sleep on the streets for weeks. Cities will try to avoid having people end up on the street during the cold months of winter. Many of shelters are shared with homeless people in Canada and many of the adult shelter spaces are beds, cots or bunk beds in congregate settings. It can be room with with 3-4+ bunk nurses all the way to a large gymnasium. This year there has been issues with housing asylum claimants and some have had to live outside for weeks. There are attempts to make sure there are other options like warning centres in case not beds are available.

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Adding comment to #1
1. If at point of entry you mention that you are a visitor and border official refuse you entry, yes they can deport you back. If you declare at the point of entry that you are claiming asylum in Canada, they will give you entry pending your hearing.

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
It is useful that you are asking about this before you are in. In this forum there are many people with excellent experience who can definitely help you. Already I read few comments above which are very useful.

I want to to draw your attention to one important point: I don't want to disappoint you, claiming asylum in Canada is a lengthy process, it can take from few months to more than 2 years. If at the end you receive a positive decision, you will be recognized as a protected person, then you can apply for PR, which can also take up to 2 years :(

So if you are single, it is no big deal maybe. But if you are married and have children, then you have to think about it, that it take you up to 4 years to reunite with your family :( :(

Best of luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

If you were able to secure a TRV you would have had to show proof of funds. You will be expected to exhaust your funds while you wait for a WP. Many shelters are already at capacity and asylum claimants have had to sleep outside in many cities. If your life is at risk then safety will be your only concern but places like homeless shelters are not nice places and also not very safe especially the shelters for men. Sadly there are many people with addiction and other mental health issues who are also seeking shelter and many of the refugee shelters are full. Affordable housing is very difficult to find so people are taking longer to leave shelters causing even more pressure on the shelter system. Have you consulted an immigration lawyer about your chances of getting asylum? Looks like you are from Nigeria and approval from Nigeria is far from guaranteed. Have you looked at other ways to immigrate to Canada? People think claiming asylum is fast and easiest way to remain in Canada but it can be drawn out for a decade and you can still be denied if you aren’t approved initially and then go through the various appeal options. If your asylum claim is denied you can’t use the work experience you got in Canada during you asylum claim to apply to another immigration program.