+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed regarding NOC 2173 and 2174

ksi2020

Nov 27, 2020
Hi,
- I have a masters and bachelor degree in Computer Science and Engineering (Done ECA from IQAS and got master and bachelor equivalency)
- 12 years of work experience as Software Engineer and duties matches with both NOC 2173 and 2174
- Like to go for SINP

My questions are:
- As my degrees in 'Computer science and engineering' can I select Noc 2174? And go for a CIPS licensure?
- Will job title as Software Engineer impact on NOC 2174?
- Or, I must choose NOC 2173 as I have a 'Computer science and engineering' degree and should go for APEGS licensure?

Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As I mentioned in another post, you match your NOC to your employment letters’ roles and responsibilities not your title or education.

ksi2020

Nov 27, 2020
As I mentioned in another post, you match your NOC to your employment letters’ roles and responsibilities not your title or education.
Thanks, but for license purpose, education is a matter of consideration.
For NOC 2173 I will be required an APEGS license, and APEGS is applicable for those who have an Engineering degree.
On the other hand, for NOC 2174, a CIPS license would be required, and an engineering degree cannot have CIPS license.
I think you understand my dilemma.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
For NOC 2173 I will be required an APEGS license, and APEGS is applicable for those who have an Engineering degree.
On the other hand, for NOC 2174, a CIPS license would be required, and an engineering degree cannot have CIPS license.
There is a thread on this forum specifically for SINP and CIPS. I would ask there.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/cips-certification-for-sinp.513440/page-42

akanksha0106

Apr 29, 2021
Hi,
Kindly let me know if you found a solution for this.
I have the same issue.

Thank you

Ram6786542525

Jul 20, 2023
I have Bachelors in Electronics and Communication Engineering and Masters in Computer Science, and I am working as a Software Engineer for the past 12 years with no breaks. My job responsibilities letter matches with the NOC 21231 - Software Engineer and that part is clear.

SINP has asked me to provide Engineer-in-Training membership from APEGS. Has anyone succeeded getting SINP nomination for NOC code 21231 - Software Engineer but APEGS certification is obtained based on Bachelors in Electronics and Communication Engineer (Electrical Engineering stream) though you have Masters in Computer Science. APEGS mentions that only Bachelors needs to be provided and not Masters. Does providing just Bachelors and obtaining APEGS certificate not conflict with my NOC 21231 - Software Engineer and is there any chance of SINP rejecting based on this (reason: Education doesn't match with Job).

Does SINP care about the stream from which Engineer-in-Training membership is obtained APEGS? I saw from APEGS certification that there is no stream mentioned in the certification, it just says Engineer-in-Training as opposed to Software Engineer-in-Training / Electrical Engineer-in-Training. So I feel it doesn't make a difference by choosing Electrical Engineering (with using just my Bachelors courses) / Software Engineer (with using both my Masters and Bachelors course). Please advice.

ImpatientDragon

Feb 23, 2022
I have Bachelors in Electronics and Communication Engineering and Masters in Computer Science, and I am working as a Software Engineer for the past 12 years with no breaks. My job responsibilities letter matches with the NOC 21231 - Software Engineer and that part is clear.

SINP has asked me to provide Engineer-in-Training membership from APEGS. Has anyone succeeded getting SINP nomination for NOC code 21231 - Software Engineer but APEGS certification is obtained based on Bachelors in Electronics and Communication Engineer (Electrical Engineering stream) though you have Masters in Computer Science. APEGS mentions that only Bachelors needs to be provided and not Masters. Does providing just Bachelors and obtaining APEGS certificate not conflict with my NOC 21231 - Software Engineer and is there any chance of SINP rejecting based on this (reason: Education doesn't match with Job).

Does SINP care about the stream from which Engineer-in-Training membership is obtained APEGS? I saw from APEGS certification that there is no stream mentioned in the certification, it just says Engineer-in-Training as opposed to Software Engineer-in-Training / Electrical Engineer-in-Training. So I feel it doesn't make a difference by choosing Electrical Engineering (with using just my Bachelors courses) / Software Engineer (with using both my Masters and Bachelors course). Please advice.
Stop posting multiple times