+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Help] Marrying a non-canadian citizen in Quebec and applying for spouse visa

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
I am an Indian citizen and I was granted a PR for Skilled Workers. I just finished my landing procedure in Vancouver. I will be going back to India after 2 weeks and plan to look for jobs in Canada and then move when I have secured one.

Right now, I am getting a job offer from a Montreal based company but if I take it, will I be allowed to marry a non-Canadian citizen and apply for an inland spouse visa while working in Quebec?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Yes....you can marry a non-Canadian and sponsor your spouse for PR in Canada........but only PR who are living inside Canada can sponsor their non-Canadian spouse for PR in Canada.

Who can apply to sponsor spouses

Inland Spousal Sponsorship requires both the Sponsor and the Principal Applicant (your spouse) to be living inside Canada at the time the sponsorship application is submitted.

If your spouse is living outside Canada....you have to apply through Outland Spousal Sponsorship.

Spousal Sponsorship process completion time varies depending on the visa office and on a case basis.....advice you take the process comletion time to be around 12 months.

Sponsoring your spouse

Sponsorship Guide

Good Luck.

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
Yes....you can marry a non-Canadian and sponsor your spouse for PR in Canada........but only PR who are living inside Canada can sponsor their non-Canadian spouse for PR in Canada.

Who can apply to sponsor spouses

Inland Spousal Sponsorship requires both the Sponsor and the Principal Applicant (your spouse) to be living inside Canada at the time the sponsorship application is submitted.

If your spouse is living outside Canada....you have to apply through Outland Spousal Sponsorship.

Spousal Sponsorship process completion time varies depending on the visa office and on a case basis.....advice you take the process comletion time to be around 12 months.

Sponsoring your spouse

Sponsorship Guide

Good Luck.
Thankyou so much for the reply!

She does plan to come to Canada as a tourist and if everything goes well, we plan to get married according to the law and apply for her spousal visa.

But I am confused if the rules are different if I am staying in Quebec as their immigration system is completely different. Will this create a problem 3-4 years down the line when I am applying for citizenship?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand. Would you mind detailing a bit as to why it might be harder. Just so I can have an idea what all things to look out for while filing the application...
You have to prove that your wife has very strong ties to India and will return to India like a true visitor even if that is not her plan. Longterm good job, property ownership, family she cares for daily, etc. Previous travel to other countries that require visas like UK, NZ, Australia, US, etc. would also help getting a TRV. Being married will create more ties to Canada so many apply before marriage.

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
You have to prove that your wife has very strong ties to India and will return to India like a true visitor even if that is not her plan. Longterm good job, property ownership, family she cares for daily, etc. Previous travel to other countries that require visas like UK, NZ, Australia, US, etc. would also help getting a TRV. Being married will create more ties to Canada so many apply before marriage.
Got it, thanks! :)