+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help for new immigrants in Calgary

Hunnia

Jun 19, 2012
Dear,
I, with my husband, plan to land in Calgary by end of Aug 2012.
We are also expecting our first baby around end Nov and it makes us more nerves about coming to an entirely new place with minimum information about it.
Have so many questions like;
What kind of challenges we may have face with a 6 month permanent lady especially when winter is setting in?
What kind of housing/place is better for woman in this condition?
How to find a rented place to live and which area (crime free and with good access/transport/train system)?
Should we plan to buy a vehicle or we can survive without it there?
How much a good condition second hand pickup truck/car usually cost?
What on avg. monthly budget we should plan for a family of two + a baby?
Being Muslim I would also look for information about hilal food, Mosques and Muslim community etc
Huh...and so many more.......
PLEASE! Share your experiences advises and provide as much information as possible even beyond aforementioned questions
God bless you all
Thanks

nhactre99

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
mifmis said:
As I had a friend who was already living in NE, I choose this area. If you are coming from Asia or Middle East, the NE would be ideal to start with. Because the cultural shock is less and the community and shops are easily accessible. The weather is not so welcome if you are coming from a tropical region. But it is lot more sunny even in winter compared to Toronto, less snow compared to Montreal.

Schools are pretty much same as other Canadian cities. Housing rent and living expenses are v much similar to Toronto, so expect this to be on higher side apart from Vancouver. City is nice, less congested, less traffic, access to Down town is good.
Can you please tell me if there is any major dificulty in landing in winter time?

abidcro

Aug 14, 2009
I would also like to offer my help to new comers , I came to Calgary in September 2011 from Pakistan.

at9459

May 30, 2009
are there any jobs for Doctors? Please advise and how much does it cost to live here for a family of five?

khans

May 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 march 2008
Doc's Request.
march 2009
IELTS Request
oct 2009
Med's Request
30 mar2010/16mar 2011(remed)
Med's Done....
same
Interview........
02 feb 2012
Passport Req..
13 April with remedical form
VISA ISSUED...
19th July 2012
LANDED..........
waiting
Dear mif mis and Abid cro

Im also planning to land in CAlgry and im finance manager.

What is the job situation in Calgry for finance guys????

Regards

Khans

abidcro

Aug 14, 2009
Dear khan it's all depends upon Luck, hard work, strategy , but don't worry about your RIZQ god is giving it to every one & any where, if I summaries calgary In one sentence I would say " easy to get starting job but really really cold winter"

zafarsaeed

Jan 11, 2012
Assalamo-Alakum Bros

I am landing in Calgary or saskatoon or Toronto (still decisive) on 20th of July 2012. I will be accompanied by my wife. We are living in Australia for last three years where I am teaching at the Australian National University and University of Canberra. I am also working as a pharmacy assistant/technician in Canberra. I have done a Masters (in Marketing Research) from ANU, an MBA from Pakistan and a B. pharmacy from Pakistan.
I wonder what my bros in this forum can advise me regarding city selection and job hunt.

happy ramzan to all of you.

Zafar

zafarsaeed

Jan 11, 2012
mifmis said:
Hello All,

I have benefited a lot from this forum. I moved to Calgary 3months ago. Though I haven't settled fully but staying comfortably with family. Willing to help new immigrants who are planning to come to Calgary and don't have anybody here.

Cheers,
mifmis
Hi bro

If I land in Calgary on 20th August, can you be of help in finding an economical accommodation which is for a couple and with heating?

Best
Zaf

ali222

Star Member
Sep 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
15-8-2011
Med's Done....
20-8-2011
Interview........
not
Passport Req..
ppr step 1 on 24 feb 2012 and step 2 28 march 2012
VISA ISSUED...
5 april 2012
LANDED..........
7 May 2012
abidcro said:
Dear khan it's all depends upon Luck, hard work, strategy , but don't worry about your RIZQ god is giving it to every one & any where, if I summaries calgary In one sentence I would say " easy to get starting job but really really cold winter"
hi brother i am in surrey b.c and there is no jobs as i have done a security course and B.C is so expensive and I am planing to move to calgary is their jobs are available please tell me about Calgary .

Bally147

Jul 31, 2012
Canpuneet, i see u applied in 0631 category, can u give me your email id, i need some information please.... balvinder.malhotra @ contactoffice.be

mythestic

Apr 10, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London CHC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb-2009
Doc's Request.
06-03-2009
IELTS Request
06-03-2009
File Transfer...
January-2011 to London
Med's Request
November-2011
Med's Done....
17-12-2011 (Received at LVO Feb-2012)
Interview........
Decision Made on June 26, 2012
Passport Req..
PPR-1: 30-April-2012 - PPR-2: 03July2012
VISA ISSUED...
20th July 2012
LANDED..........
Landed successfully in September 2012 - Got PR Cards on 28Nov2012
I will be leaving my country in September 2012.. Destination city is Calgary and we are interested in NE so far..
What kind of accommodation we should get?
Basements OR an apartment/condo?
Some people are advising to rent the basement in start (because of its less rent) and many of them are in the favor of apartment. They object on basement's suffocation issues etc..

what do you suggest guys?

USH1B

Star Member
Jul 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo / LA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 9, 2009
Doc's Request.
Jan 15, 2010
AOR Received.
Sept 24, 2010
IELTS Request
Jan 15, 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 20, 2010
Med's Request
Nov 15, 2010
Med's Done....
Nov 30, 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 12, 2011/Aug 23, 2011 after adding new born baby
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 1, 2011
LANDED..........
Sept 21, 2011
Hello Khans,

I was originally planning to move to Sasketchwan as one can sponser family members for PR after one year of stay in that province without being a citizen. But now I have changed my mind and decided to move to Calgary in Sept/Oct 2012.

I am also in Finance and Accounting and presently in Houston TX. I am in the O & G industry and thought Calgary to be best option. I have already applied in many companies via www.monster.ca and http://www.roberthalf.ca/JobSeekers. Let us see how things work out.

Thanks to mifmis for starting this thread and others who have pitched in for offer of assistance in relocating to Calgary. Keep up the good job and I will join you all soon.

Good luck to all

USH1B

darwaish

Jan 10, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like many, I am also planning to land in Calgary this sept.
How is sept in terms of weather. Is it like Dec. in Islamabad/Lahore?
How far is “Chestermere” from the main Calgary city? is it a good place for newcomers specially for survival jobs? Will it be difficult to commute daily to main city by public transport?
Please share
Thanks

ali222

Star Member
Sep 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
15-8-2011
Med's Done....
20-8-2011
Interview........
not
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
5 april 2012
LANDED..........
7 May 2012
i have done medical assistant diploma from b.c is it valid in Alberta ?

ali222

Star Member
Sep 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
15-8-2011
Med's Done....
20-8-2011
Interview........
not
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
5 april 2012
LANDED..........
7 May 2012
mythestic said:
I will be leaving my country in September 2012.. Destination city is Calgary and we are interested in NE so far..
What kind of accommodation we should get?
Basements OR an apartment/condo?
Some people are advising to rent the basement in start (because of its less rent) and many of them are in the favor of apartment. They object on basement's suffocation issues etc..

what do you suggest guys?
Basement is a better choice as its rent is cheap and their is no suffocation in basement as the basements are on ground floor not as our .