+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help. Can't figure out NOC code

beejay1

Aug 25, 2014
Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying for my permanent residence and I'm having trouble finding the right NOC code for my job title. I was thinking it should fall under NOC code: 4212, but i'm not too sure about that and would appreciate if you could assist me in figuring this out. I would appreciate if you could take a look at my job description (below), in order to provide me with suggestions.

My job title is : 'Health Benefits Assessor'. I work for a Health Authority in BC, and my job summary and duties are listed below as they appear on my job description.

POSITION SUMMARY:

This is a full-time position within Health Benefits. The Health Benefits Analyst adjudicates and processes Health Benefits benefit decisions and payments for eligible First Nations community members and service providers. Health Benefits includes Pharmacy, Medical Supplies & Equipment, Vision, Mental Health Crisis Intervention, Dental, and Medical Transportation.

Job duties/description:

-Review, assess and adjudicate NIHB (Non-Insured Health Benefits) requests (prior approvals, amendments, post approvals and client reimbursements) ensuring accordance with XX Health Authority Policy

-Screen requests for completeness and accuracy, clarifying and obtaining information, explaining requirements, procedures, rights and obligations regarding claims and eligibility for benefits to clients, stakeholders and service providers.

-Verify and process financial transactions and identify and correct transactions for services rendered with respect to accuracy, client and recipient eligibility, cost verification in preparation for payment in accordance with the XX Health Authority financial policies and answer provider and clients’ questions and billing inquiries.

-Maintain and ensure privacy and security and control accessibility of confidential client files and financial records

-Interact with service providers and health care professionals to exchange information such as related to prior approval requests, XX Health Authority policy, client files, and benefit eligibility;

-Participate in the development and implementation of new and efficient procedures while ensuring program and procedural integrity;

-Provide analysis, advice and recommendations regarding benefit requests, review outcomes, exceptions and appeal requests;

-Participation in HB (Health Benefits) working groups, meetings and information sessions internally or with external groups;

-Assist in the delivery of on the job training and orientation of new employees, temporary staff and/or First Nations and Inuit community representatives involved in the administration of HB benefits;

Thanks in advance!!!

beejay1

Aug 25, 2014
Thank you very much for the suggestiin Laura. I emailed the job description to HRSDC and Stat Canada. Stat Canada advised that I consider Noc 6231; HRSDC advised that I consider: 1312 or 1434 or 1411. Now I'm more confused than ever, I thought HRSDC should be able to give a precise code since they are in charge but it seems they cannot really help.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Please advise and thanks in advance:)

maniac2403

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
Doc's Request.
29-05-2014
AOR Received.
27-12-2013
IELTS Request
Provided with application
File Transfer...
04-06-2014 (ECAS In Process)
Med's Request
10-06-2014
Med's Done....
11-06-2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2014 (Visa stamp) 9-07-2014 (Passport Received)
LANDED..........
10-07-2014
beejay1 said:
Thank you very much for the suggestiin Laura. I emailed the job description to HRSDC and Stat Canada. Stat Canada advised that I consider Noc 6231; HRSDC advised that I consider: 1312 or 1434 or 1411. Now I'm more confused than ever, I thought HRSDC should be able to give a precise code since they are in charge but it seems they cannot really help.

1411 or 1434 appears to be correct based on the duties that you provided. It is always a best guess estimate if your duties/ title is not straightforward. 6231 and 1312 appears to be more on the claims adjuster/insurance part.

Unfortunately in my opinion both 1411 or 1434 are NOC C jobs and not eligible for CEC.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
beejay1 said:

Well, doesn't happen often, but I think you've found a gap in the NOC classification. Can I first ask what your education/degree(s) are in?

My suggestion: 4165 - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=4165

It's a weird agglomeration of researchers, consultants, officers (administrators) in the arena of health policy, so only some of the job duties are relevant to each applicant. You'd need to provide a little context and perhaps explain why you think this fits (and nothing else does). (I'm also 4165, but more on the research side of things).

one rationale - If you were promoted to a managerial level, you would likely be NOC 0411, Government managers, health and social... who "Direct and advise health or social policy researchers, consultants or program officers who conduct research, prepare documents or administer programs for individuals and communities in areas such as health and social services, employment and immigration, labour or housing..."

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=0&val1=0411&val65=4165

- It might help to describe who your employer is - unless they're from BC, a VO may not automatically understand the meaning of "health authority" (From wikipedia: "Health regions, also called health authorities, are a governance model used by Canada's provincial governments to administer and/or deliver public health care to all Canadian residents." ) Look at the matrix - "Occupations in education, law and social, community and government services" column 4 is where you should fit -

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/html/Matrix.html
If you're wondering why not "health care" column 3, those are clinical occupations, and 4165 is in column 4.

There is no "aboriginal health" in the entire NOC catalog, apparently. If you search the key word "Aboriginal" you get a long list of related occupations in social and economic development, but none in health. I think that's kind of a deafening silence...

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/SearchKeywordResult.aspx?val11=aboriginal&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

beejay1

Aug 25, 2014
First of al I must say a big thank you for your time and explanations 'jes-ON'. That was really really helpful.

Back to your first question, I studied here in Canada, and my first degree (bachelors) is in Publuc Administartion and I also have a Masters degree in International Studies. As you mentioned in your post, I have always thought my job should be in section 4 on the NOC matrix and since it has to do with providing social benefits to BC First Nations people, that was why I thought it could be under 4212. I don't think (as Maniac2403 suggested) that I fall under codes 1411 and 1434 because what I do on a daily basis is totally diffrent from answering and transfering phone calls or performing other admistrative functions.

I'm not sure though if I could fall under 4165, since my position as a Health Benefits Assessor is more associated with assessing and determining 'health benefits eligibility' for BC First Nations, and working with professionals in the healthcare sector in order to make eligibility decisions. 4165 seems to linger more towards healthcare research and development.

And as for my employer, its the health authority in charge of providing social benefits and services to eligible BC First Nations. Of course it is non-profit and gets its yearly bugdet from the Federal government.

On a dialy basis, I work on health benefits applications, making decisions on which ones to approve and which ones to deny based on information and conversations with other social service officers such as social workers or health care practitioners such as doctors and nurses.

Thank you guys so much for your time : Laura22, Maniac2403, Jes_ON.

I'm still open to more suggestions or advise. they would be highly appreciated.

Laura22

May 12, 2014
I agree jes_ON is on the right track, you sound way more qualified than an administrative worker! Can you provide additional info from your employer or a manager giving some further context to your role and duties as jes_ON suggested? I still think your job description makes it sound administrative, but your additional clarification helped me understand further. You wouldn't want to be classified under an admin code that isn't eligible. Good luck, I'm interested to hear how you go!

maniac2403

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
Doc's Request.
29-05-2014
AOR Received.
27-12-2013
IELTS Request
Provided with application
File Transfer...
04-06-2014 (ECAS In Process)
Med's Request
10-06-2014
Med's Done....
11-06-2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2014 (Visa stamp) 9-07-2014 (Passport Received)
LANDED..........
10-07-2014
beejay1 said:
I'm not sure though if I could fall under 4165, since my position as a Health Benefits Assessor is more associated with assessing and determining 'health benefits eligibility' for BC First Nations, and working with professionals in the healthcare sector in order to make eligibility decisions. 4165 seems to linger more towards healthcare research and development.

I'm still open to more suggestions or advise. they would be highly appreciated.
I will say for a moment keep the 'health' part of your title in the stowed away. Then your role appears to be more NOC A than B as well, as critical decisions are made by you. May I ask what is your educational qualification?

beejay1

Aug 25, 2014
As I mentioned in my previous post, I have my bachelors in Public Administration and Masters in International Studies and my main daily duty is to assess health benefits applications, deciding on which ones to approve and which ones to deny based on the benefit program policy and information gathered from medical practitioners and social service workers. I also assess benefits exception applications before sending them to the right person- benefits exemption officer. Then I send all approved applications to the finance department for payment; inform others about their denial and advise them to appeal my decision( also send them the appeal application form) to the right authority if they so wish.

Thats what a typical day looks like for me. Hope this shed more light on my duties.

Thank you all for your assistance.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
beejay1 said:
OK, so your HA is funded by the feds, not the province... This kind of information about your employer and what the organization does is relevant and should be in the letter of employment. Agree that the lead statement of 4165 is not a great fit. On the other hand - 4212 is problematic because of the unfortunate silo-ing of health services vs social services, but they do tend to be integrated in Aboriginal services... so it might in fact be the best fit. Of the other suggestions, the job duties in 1312 were somewhat relevant but clearly limited to the private sector... You may just have to write a letter of explanation about why you chose that NOC, the others you considered, and the lack of suitable alternatives...

beejay1

Aug 25, 2014
Thanks jes_ON. That makes lot of sense. I actually agree with you that my job duties are much closely related to the ones under 1321 but its for insurance adjusters.

So can I apply using that even though its much narrowly tailored for insurance officers?

I might have to write a supporting letter as you suggested. Anyways, HRSDC suggested the code too even though they know i'm not an insurance adjuster...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
beejay1 said:
Thanks jes_ON. That makes lot of sense. I actually agree with you that my job duties are much closely related to the ones under 1321 but its for insurance adjusters.

So can I apply using that even though its much narrowly tailored for insurance officers?

I might have to write a supporting letter as you suggested. Anyways, HRSDC suggested the code too even though they know i'm not an insurance adjuster...
In my opinion 4212 is probably overall your best fit, but you should write a letter and discuss the other NOCs that you considered (1321 - right duties, wrong sector), and maybe 4165 - (right sector, wrong duties - or at least, not enough administrative duties described in the NOC...)

open

Star Member
Jun 10, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-apr-2014
AOR Received.
30-apr-2014
jes_ON said:
In my opinion 4212 is probably overall your best fit, but you should write a letter and discuss the other NOCs that you considered (1321 - right duties, wrong sector), and maybe 4165 - (right sector, wrong duties - or at least, not enough administrative duties described in the NOC...)
Hi,
I am almost ready for my fsw application,as i want to apply in noc 0121(insurance manager),My designation was Manager Business partner, i want to discuss my jobs and responsibilities

1.Identify and recruit right quality of business partners to build a strong business partner base.
2.Train business partners on company products and selling skills.
3.Provide assistance to business partners in lead generation,prospecting and business development.
4.Motivate and supervise a group of business partners.
5.Ensure that business partners adhere to required business process and norms.
6.Achieve sales target through business partners by ensuring that business partners generate business on month to month.
7.Build and own relationship with business partners and customers.

Seniors kindly guide me may i use noc 0121 insurance manager or may i use noc 6231,if i use noc 6231 does it comes under noc b????????

veerla

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Hi

My Name is Raj and contacting you after finding out my case is similar to yours was, "Can't figure out NOC ". Her's My case:

I have submitted file in EE with CRS scoring 407*points (ELIGIBLE FOR FSW-INLAND)
JOB Title (previous foreign experience ) "PHARMACY BENEFIT ANALYST" I don't know what NOC code to select?

This si my complete profile & Please help me out if you could'

COUNTRY OF CITIZENSHIP: INDIA
COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE: CANADA, PROVINCE: BRITISH COLUMBIA
LANGUAGE RESULTS: IELTS (S: 7.0 L: 7.5 W:6.0 R: 6.5 OVERALL: 7.0)
SKILLED WORK EXP IN CANADA: NONE (BUT HAVING 2 YEARS SKILL 'C' LEVEL JOB WHICH DOESNT COUNT)
SKILLED WORK EXP FOREIGN: ONE YEAR (B LEVEL) (Pharmacy benefit analyst)
OTHER JOB OFFER: NONE
the highest level of education: MASTERS (CANADIAN DEGREE FROM PRIVATE UNIVERSITY IN B.C full-time in Canada for two years)

CRS POINTS OVERALL: 407 & Submitted EE profile recently.

and now I need help in finding out my NOC which I can't be able to find out using NOC table.
Here are the Job details:
Job title Pharmacy Benefit Analyst,
Job Description
Pharma Benefit Analyst
A Pharmacy Benefit Manager is a third party administrator of prescription drug programs. They are primarily responsible for processing and paying prescription drug claims. They also are responsible for developing and maintaining the formulary, contracting with pharmacies, and negotiating discounts and rebates with drug manufacturers.
Key Skills: Claims Associate, Healthcare Claims, Claims Adjudication, Claims Processing, Claims Process, BPO Backend process, Back office, BPO Process, Data entry, Data processing

(on my job offer there are no job duties & description mentioned at all so do i need to get another letter with job duties?)
**Surprising for me is Here when I typed in my job title in work history tab, system automatically took NOC code as 1252 "Health information management occupations" But still have doubt

Thanks in Advance

socrates

Mar 13, 2013
Hi

My Name is Raj and contacting you after finding out my case is similar to yours was, "Can't figure out NOC ". Her's My case:

I have submitted file in EE with CRS scoring 407*points (ELIGIBLE FOR FSW-INLAND)
JOB Title (previous foreign experience ) "PHARMACY BENEFIT ANALYST" I don't know what NOC code to select?

This si my complete profile & Please help me out if you could'

COUNTRY OF CITIZENSHIP: INDIA
COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE: CANADA, PROVINCE: BRITISH COLUMBIA
LANGUAGE RESULTS: IELTS (S: 7.0 L: 7.5 W:6.0 R: 6.5 OVERALL: 7.0)
SKILLED WORK EXP IN CANADA: NONE (BUT HAVING 2 YEARS SKILL 'C' LEVEL JOB WHICH DOESNT COUNT)
SKILLED WORK EXP FOREIGN: ONE YEAR (B LEVEL) (Pharmacy benefit analyst)
OTHER JOB OFFER: NONE
the highest level of education: MASTERS (CANADIAN DEGREE FROM PRIVATE UNIVERSITY IN B.C full-time in Canada for two years)

CRS POINTS OVERALL: 407 & Submitted EE profile recently.

and now I need help in finding out my NOC which I can't be able to find out using NOC table.
Here are the Job details:
Job title Pharmacy Benefit Analyst,
Job Description
Pharma Benefit Analyst
A Pharmacy Benefit Manager is a third party administrator of prescription drug programs. They are primarily responsible for processing and paying prescription drug claims. They also are responsible for developing and maintaining the formulary, contracting with pharmacies, and negotiating discounts and rebates with drug manufacturers.
Key Skills: Claims Associate, Healthcare Claims, Claims Adjudication, Claims Processing, Claims Process, BPO Backend process, Back office, BPO Process, Data entry, Data processing

(on my job offer there are no job duties & description mentioned at all so do i need to get another letter with job duties?)
**Surprising for me is Here when I typed in my job title in work history tab, system automatically took NOC code as 1252 "Health information management occupations" But still have doubt

Thanks in Advance
I am NOC 1252. I studied Health information management. I don't think you come in that category. read the job duties and eligibility under NOC 1252