+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help - Canadian Domestic Air Travel without Passport / PR Card

Punk6

Star Member
Feb 9, 2021
Hi,

I am facing an urgent situation for which I hope I can receive some guidance. I just landed in Canada as a Permanent Resident, but I no longer have access to my passport (issued by Pakistan). I need to take an urgent domestic air flight but I do not have any Canadian government issued identification (besides my stamped and signed COPR). According to the following page, I will require at least two documents to travel without Canadian government issued ID (https://travel.gc.ca/air/identification-requirements)

My question is:
  • Has anyone used their non-Canadian issued Driver's License / Citizenship card to travel on domestic flights (along with their COPR)?
  • Moreover, is there any Canadian Govt-issued ID document I may apply for and receive within a week for my travel identification?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you have ANY ID with a picture? (Hopefully at least photocopies of the docs you don't have access to, like your passport?)

Note, I believe ontario health cards and ontario photo ID can be issued on the spot - but only in a temporary version, with no photo. (Also note: ontario photo ID card means you'd have to surrender any driving license, and that would mean never using your foreign driving license to get a license in ontario).

Don't know about other provinces.

Reactions: Punk6

Punk6

Star Member
Feb 9, 2021
Yes, I do have scanned pictures of my passport. I also have my original Pakistani drivers license and National identification card. Will they prove to be enough for domestic travel?

I’m also currently in Ontario. Thank you for those tips, however the Ontario health card seems to require some evidence of residence in the province (unfortunately I just landed here last week). I do not wish to renounce my driving license either since I do plan on using my Pakistani license to supersede some of the provincial driving tests.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Yes, I do have scanned pictures of my passport. I also have my original Pakistani drivers license and National identification card. Will they prove to be enough for domestic travel?

I’m also currently in Ontario. Thank you for those tips, however the Ontario health card seems to require some evidence of residence in the province (unfortunately I just landed here last week). I do not wish to renounce my driving license either since I do plan on using my Pakistani license to supersede some of the provincial driving tests.
Best to contact the airline and ask.

No government-issued photo ID (in Ontario at least) that you qualify for will come within a week, even the best case scenario for the Ontario photo card is 2 weeks.

Last edited: