+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! BOWP and Implied Status

limbo

Star Member
Feb 20, 2015
I am currently working in Canada under PGWP and it is expiring on Dec 20. I have submitted my FSWP EE application early September, and eligibility is currently still under review (received the first, automated AOR, not second).

Can I apply for BOWP using under my current EE stage? I have not received any notifications of passing the R10 completeness check.
If I can, and once I do apply, would I be under implied status once my PGWP expires? Do I need to re-new my SIN? I need to continue my employment.
Given the current BOWP processing times, it seems likely that my EE will be approved (hopefully everything goes smoothly) before the BOWP will be. Would that cause any problems at all?

Thank you!

Edit: Just noticed the other thread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-bowp-changes-t385417.0.html - seems like for my first question I am OK.

adi1989

Jan 11, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you can apply bowp and work with implied status untill you get any response

limbo

Star Member
Feb 20, 2015
Thank you, adi. Is it correct that I will only renew my SIN after I get either the BOWP or PR, and that my OHIP coverage will cease until then as well?

Neeths

Jan 10, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 8th
AOR Received.
June 8th
Med's Done....
May 15th
I had the similar situation.. so how did u apply for BOWP? I mean under what category? You can only get new sin after you work permit get approved..

seemalz

Star Member
Jun 9, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-10-2015
AOR Received.
10-10-2015
Med's Done....
22-10-2015
Yes, I am on implied status, I have submitted my EE Application and can continue to work. However, you will not be able to renew your SIN or be qualified for OHIP until you receive your BOWP. Til then you can get a visitors health insurance which will cover you in case of an emergency.

If your employer inquires about your expired SIN you can explain the following like I did:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/about/reports/sin/cop/section3.shtml

What is implied status?
If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations provides them the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions, pending a determination of their application for renewal, as long as they remain in Canada. This is referred as “implied status”. The temporary foreign worker will have implied status until a decision is rendered by CIC.
As soon as a decision has been rendered by CIC authorizing the employee to continue to work in Canada, the employer must verify the new immigration document and the expiry date. The employer must also inform the employee to apply with his or her new immigration document to Service Canada for the SIN record to be updated with the new expiry date.
For more information regarding “implied status”, visit the CIC website or call the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100.