+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[HELP] About Study Permit Extension

B_Liu

Mar 31, 2017
I submitted my study permit extension on Feb. 17th, and it has been received over 42 days. How long it gonna take to get approved? All of required documents had been uploaded. The problem now is I have to travel to my home country by the end of April, I have to get for my entrance visa before I leave. And CIC does not update the processing time since March 10th (normal processing time 34 days). Obviously my application takes longer than the normal processing time, but when I called CIC they said the application was still in normal processing time and they did not update the processing time if they do not make enough progress. I actually found out all the processing time of applications including PR, Visa, or any other applications in Canada were not updated over 3 weeks. I am wondering if CIC is on a strike again or has some system issue. BTW, if I apply my entrance visa in Canada, and then I just go back to my home county, is that possible to obtain my visa in any Canadian embassy if the visa application can be approved?

Reactions: christinebear

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
B_Liu said:
I submitted my study permit extension on Feb. 17th, and it has been received over 42 days. How long it gonna take to get approved? All of required documents had been uploaded. The problem now is I have to travel to my home country by the end of April, I have to get for my entrance visa before I leave. And CIC does not update the processing time since March 10th (normal processing time 34 days). Obviously my application takes longer than the normal processing time, but when I called CIC they said the application was still in normal processing time and they did not update the processing time if they do not make enough progress. I actually found out all the processing time of applications including PR, Visa, or any other applications in Canada were not updated over 3 weeks. I am wondering if CIC is on a strike again or has some system issue. BTW, if I apply my entrance visa in Canada, and then I just go back to my home county, is that possible to obtain my visa in any Canadian embassy if the visa application can be approved?
Do you still have a status in Canada? Is your visa valid until your return?
If you are now on implied status and you move out of the country considered your application abandoned.
You have to apply for Restoration within 90 days your student permit expires. (IRPR 182)
I hope you have a decision before the end of April.

B_Liu

Mar 31, 2017
kapatid said:
Do you still have a status in Canada? Is your visa valid until your return?
If you are now on implied status and you move out of the country considered your application abandoned.
You have to apply for Restoration within 90 days your student permit expires. (IRPR 182)
I hope you have a decision before the end of April.
Thank you. My current study permit expires on May 30th, I submitted it a bit early because I will be a graduate student after this term. My Entrance visa expires on May 30th as well. However I plan to come back in June for my undergraduate graduation ceremony. If I could not get my Study permit, I may just give up the travel plan. I wish CIC could approve my application and I understood they are busy. What I'm planning to do is, after I get my new SP, I'll application for the Visa within Canada. If it is approved, may I mail my passport to the embassy in my home country and get visa stamped during my travel? Really appreciate!

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
B_Liu said:
Thank you. My current study permit expires on May 30th, I submitted it a bit early because I will be a graduate student after this term. My Entrance visa expires on May 30th as well. However I plan to come back in June for my undergraduate graduation ceremony. If I could not get my Study permit, I may just give up the travel plan. I wish CIC could approve my application and I understood they are busy. What I'm planning to do is, after I get my new SP, I'll application for the Visa within Canada. If it is approved, may I mail my passport to the embassy in my home country and get visa stamped during my travel? Really appreciate!
If you leave the country while there is still no decision on your extension they will considered it abandon.
You leave Canada = abandon, bye bye

B_Liu

Mar 31, 2017
kapatid said:
If you leave the country while there is still no decision on your extension they will considered it abandon.
You leave Canada = abandon, bye bye

Really appreciate for your reply! So is that okay to leave if I get my Study Permit approved. I meant, I would apply for my TRV with in Canada and I won't leave before it approved. Since it may take a few days to stamp the Visa if I mail it to Ottawa, is that possible to stamp the VISA in the embassy in my home country if the online application is approved?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

B_Liu said:
Really appreciate for your reply! So is that okay to leave if I get my Study Permit approved. I meant, I would apply for my TRV with in Canada and I won't leave before it approved. Since it may take a few days to stamp the Visa if I mail it to Ottawa, is that possible to stamp the VISA in the embassy in my home country if the online application is approved?

No, you can't get visa stamped outside Canada if it has been approved inland. After you applied online, you will have to send passport to CIC (CPC Ottawa) for TRV stamp.

B_Liu

Mar 31, 2017
J5M said:
Hi,

No, you can't get visa stamped outside Canada if it has been approved inland. After you applied online, you will have to send passport to CIC (CPC Ottawa) for TRV stamp.
I called the VFS in my home country and they said it is okay. I will call CIC to confirm that, other wise I have to cancel all my trip. Thank you so much

B_Liu

Mar 31, 2017
TanmayParmar said:
I applied on 17th feb and i also didn't get any update yet. if you get any update let me know
Would you mind to message me your contact info? Such as WhatsApp, we can inform to each other if there is an update

goforbhuvan

Apr 11, 2017
Hi ! Has there been any update on the status of your application? I applied for study permit extension on Feb 25th and haven't been notified of any developments so far.

baylor29

Apr 14, 2017
Hi! I'm in the same situation as you, i need to go back to my country at the end of April and come back in one month, but there is no update yet. The cic website said that it already processed the application before 18th of Feb, just wondering if you get any updates on your application! Thanks!

MERMOT

Apr 19, 2017
Hi Guys

After getting Study Permit extension, is it possible to apply online TRV in canada and get it sticked
in home country ?

or

After getting Study Permit extension in canada, I go back my home country and apply TRV there.
Is it possible.

As soon as my study permit extension is approved I want to go back my home country.

Please guys advice urgently.

B_Liu

Mar 31, 2017
Sorry for my late reply. Here is the timeline of my processing:

Study Permit Extension Application submitted: Feb 17th
Study Permit Approval: April 6th
Study Permit Received: April 11th
TRV Application submitted within Canada: April 11th
TRV Passport Requested: April 12th
Passport Received by CIC: April 18th
Passport Returned by CIC: April 19th
Passport Arrival: April 20th