+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP: 1096 days?

pants123

Feb 24, 2015
Hey folks - finally almost eligible to apply for citizenship! Have a question regarding dates of eligibility.

I will hit 1095 days on Feb 26th, and want to apply on Feb 27th, since I am travelling for 3 weeks starting on March 1st. If I wait till I return to apply, I would have to wait till mid-April because of days of absence.

I have double and triple checked my days of physical presence and on Feb 27th, 1096 days is definitely correct, however do you believe there is a risk of the application getting rejected or returned? A few different posts said better to give a few days of buffer so wondering why.

Don't want to delay any further given the new rules coming, but also don't want to risk getting it returned .. Let me know your thoughts!

ScubaC

Jun 21, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you should be OK, having said that CIC is mysterious and who knows at the end of the day. The best advice is to follow instructions in the instruction guide. Why don't you sign it and send it on the 28th? That will give you 1097 right?

pants123

Feb 24, 2015
Yes, correct, I can even do it on March 1st morning so the more days the better (1098).

Additional question, I noticed many people submitted T4s, NOAs, Pay Stubs etc. These were nowhere on the checklist of documents, I have them all ready and available but wasn't planning to send. For people who had a successful, quick application, did they all submit these documents?

west2east

Jul 22, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pants123 said:
Hey folks - finally almost eligible to apply for citizenship! Have a question regarding dates of eligibility.

I will hit 1095 days on Feb 26th, and want to apply on Feb 27th, since I am travelling for 3 weeks starting on March 1st. If I wait till I return to apply, I would have to wait till mid-April because of days of absence.

I have double and triple checked my days of physical presence and on Feb 27th, 1096 days is definitely correct, however do you believe there is a risk of the application getting rejected or returned? A few different posts said better to give a few days of buffer so wondering why.

Don't want to delay any further given the new rules coming, but also don't want to risk getting it returned .. Let me know your thoughts!
I applied with exactly 1095 days and I am now a citizen :)

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pants123 said:
Yes, correct, I can even do it on March 1st morning so the more days the better (1098).

Additional question, I noticed many people submitted T4s, NOAs, Pay Stubs etc. These were nowhere on the checklist of documents, I have them all ready and available but wasn't planning to send. For people who had a successful, quick application, did they all submit these documents?
Attach them to the end of your application and mark them additional documents

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012

This is a personal choice. They are definitely not needed and the success ratio of additional documents is varied case by case. I have read people who submitted it and things went good, others who did and still got RQ, many others myself included did not include these extra documents, so to be honest it is completely your call if you wish to submit these additional documents.

12om3

Star Member
May 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pants123 said:

I'm just sharing my case, the decision is yours based on your awareness of all your personal application details..
I applied with 1095 days exactly, and included the calculator sheet as per CIC instructions .. I did my test yesterday and at the interview the officer said that my case is straight forward and I should receive the oath letter any time between 1 month to 3 months max.

I think you should be fine :)

pants123

Feb 24, 2015
Great, thanks, yeah my case is super straightforward, came here as a university student, got a job immediately after graduating and have been working at the same place for 6 years (yes, I could have applied for my PR sooner but didn't get around to it!).

Hoping everything goes smoothly!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
pants123 said:
If you are 100% certain that you counted the days correctly and there is no reason for CIC to doubt it, then go ahead.

But there have been many many cases of people who forgot a trip here and there (or mixed up their entry/exit dates) and ended up being short a few days and got RQ. If those people added some buffer days, they would have been fine. I always recommend having a few buffer days (like a week).

But again if you are very certain about your days, then you should be fine.

pants123

Feb 24, 2015
I feel pretty certain, having looked into it all multiple times, but I guess the inherent risk exists.

Do you know how long it takes to request a CBSA report? Is it worth it to do this as another double check?

12om3

Star Member
May 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pants123 said:
Great, thanks, yeah my case is super straightforward, came here as a university student, got a job immediately after graduating and have been working at the same place for 6 years (yes, I could have applied for my PR sooner but didn't get around to it!).

Hoping everything goes smoothly!
Thats actually close to my case too .. I did my MSc in two years and when I completed first year of my PhD I applied for citizenship right away .. I actually came from overseas as PR directly (FSW) .. so your case is even more clear and straightforward provided you were in Canada for a while before you are PR ;)

Good luck my friend :)

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pants123 said:

Applying with 1096/97 is always a coin toss. I asked the same question in the forum last March very soon after they introduced the bill. Hindsight I could have waited a month or so. I have 12 travel outside the country and 4 of them to my home country. So this triggered a flag. So if your application is smooth without any RQ triggers then applying with just 1096 days should not affect your application negatively. Again it is a coin toss.

All the best with whatever your decision is.

VAtoCA

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pants123 said:

If I were you I would submit it on March 1st. I submitted mine with 1098 days. About the extra documents, I did not submitted any for one simple reason: more (and unnecessary) document means more time for CIC to review your file.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Application Sent: Sept 15, 2014
AOR Received: Dec 20, 2014
Test invite: Jan 5, 2015
Test Date: Jan 20, 2015
CIT 520 (mini RQ asking me to explain missing date in my Residency Calculator): Jan 30, 2015
CIT 520 Reply sent to CIC: Jan 31, 2015
Oath Date: Feb 28, 2015
CIC office: Scarborough.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pants123 said:
I feel pretty certain, having looked into it all multiple times, but I guess the inherent risk exists.

Do you know how long it takes to request a CBSA report? Is it worth it to do this as another double check?
If you request a CBSA report online, it will be sent to you by Canada Post in 30 days (give or take a few days). Adding in the delivery time, you will receive the report in about 35-40 days.

Whether it is worth ordering the report depends on how often you travelled in the last four years and how sure you are of your dates.

wilbur

Star Member
Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with app
AOR Received.
02-06-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with app
File Transfer...
19-07-2011
Med's Request
02-09-2011
Med's Done....
03-09-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2011
LANDED..........
15-10-2011
pants123 said:

You only need to submit the documents mentioned on the guide and on the checklist, no more, no less.

Many people submit everything they have in an attempt to avoid RQ, however it is not demonstrated that submitting unnecessary and unrequested documents will either avoid RQ or benefit your application in any way.

Many people would suggest different things, I just want to said that there are a guide and checklist for a reason.

Wilbur