arhue

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
No you must do your covid testing in London. 2 hours in unlikely to be enough time to do testing and I don’t believe they offer PCR testing in transit area. You’ll need to verify with BA whether there are PCR testing centres available in the transit area and how long does it take to get results. Without proof of the negative PCR test you should be denied boarding in London.
There is an exemption for landside transits. I successfully used it and didn't have to quarantine or get tested or show vaccine proof.

Reactions: steaky

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is an exemption for landside transits. I successfully used it and didn't have to quarantine or get tested or show vaccine proof.
That explains why the flights coming in from London make up a large portion of flights arriving with covid.

Reactions: mpsqra

ncrohith

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
05-04-2020
@arhue I got a couple of questions for you since I'm planning a similar journey soon. Please provide your comments.
I'm planning for BLR-LHR-YYZ itinerary. Indian passport with a Canadian PR.

1. When did you transit through LHR?
2. What was your travel itinerary?
3. BA site (https://www.britishairways.com/en-ca/information/incident/coronavirus/entry-requirements#requirements) says that as per the air bubble agreement with India, they allow Indians only to travel to UK if their final destination is UK unless they have a foreign spouse. Did BA employees raise this issue when you boarded from India since your final destination was Canada?
4. Canada site (https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/india) says Indians need to take a COVID test from the third country. How did you manage this restriction when you boarded the flight from LHR and went through Border security in Canada?

arhue

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
@ncrohith
1. 2 months back
2. Russia to Canada via Heathrow, about 17 hour layover
3. I didn't board from India. I spent 3 weeks in Russia, but I guess you could try going via there with a smaller layover. The air bubble arrangement could be an issue.
4. I did the Covid test in Russia.

Reactions: ncrohith

ncrohith

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
05-04-2020
@ncrohith
1. 2 months back
3. I didn't board from India. I spent 3 weeks in Russia, but I guess you could try going via there with a smaller layover. The air bubble arrangement could be an issue.
Thank you for your reply.

ncrohith

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
05-04-2020
Good day

Has anyone had a long transit through Heathrow and rested in the nearby hotels? We will be in transit in Heathrow Airport for 12 hours.

As permanent residents of Canada, did you require a visa to get day rooms in hotel nearby (sofitel, novotel, holiday inn) which is just outside the terminals?

Thank you
@shadowtwixy Did you make this travel? Can you please share your itinerary?

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
@ncrohith
1. 2 months back
Hi,

I'm Indian, going from Toronto to Mumbai and stopping over in Heathrow for 15 hours, flight departs the same day. Can I go out of the airport provided I have the Canadian PR card?

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Hi,

I'm Indian, going from Toronto to Mumbai and stopping over in Heathrow for 15 hours, flight departs the same day. Can I go out of the airport provided I have the Canadian PR card?
You can stay airside for those 15 hours without any problem. Since your connecting flight is from the same airport, there is no need to cross passport control unless you want to go out.
Typically you need a VISA if you need to cross passport control.
However, there have been some changes in recent years, and you might be able to cross passport control without needing a transit VISA.
To be safe, I would still suggest getting a VISA if you plan to cross passport control.
https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/somewhere_else/yes

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Tried this successfully at the start of this year. As others have said, with Canadian pr and departure and arrival on SAME day (not just <24 hours), you MAY be given a same day transit visa stamp without needing to apply for a specific visa before hand. But there are two caveats
1. This is purely at officers discretion. So you cannot plan for it, an officer might just refuse you and there is no way to dispute that.
2. This is meant for transit and cannot be used to say visit London attractions during a long layover.

So if you MUST exit airport, better get a visa beforehand. But if you are going to be in airport already and want to try your luck, ask an officer politely if you may exit airport for a transit hotel. And hope that officer is convinced.